testtest

4 Classic Hunting Bullets To Fill Your Tag

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
What Are The Best Classic Hunting Bullets, and a bonus discussion

4 Classic Hunting Bullets To Fill Your Tag

1609812272437.png

I started reloading way back in the early 80's IIRC, and don't remember using any bullet for my .270Win other than Sierra 130gr SPBT 'GameKing'. Seems like my regular hunting load was about 2900+fps and out of my Rem 700 Classic was a tack driver. Just never felt the need for anything else out of that particular rifle. Used the same rifle/ammo combo to shoot NRA long range silhouette comps.

Then about 10 yrs or so ago I bought some Hornady 140gr to try. Put them on the shelf till I needed some more ammo, but never loaded the first one. Still have all those 140's as I write this. Also still have several boxes of the Sierra 130's loaded to use up some day hopefully.

I started reloading way back in the early 80's IIRC, and don't remember using any bullet for my .270Win other than Sierra 130gr SPBT 'GameKing'. Seems like my regular hunting load was about 2900+fps and out of my Rem 700 Classic was a tack driver. Just never felt the need for anything else out of that particular rifle. Used the same rifle/ammo combo to shoot NRA long range silhouette comps.

Then about 10 yrs or so ago I bought some Hornady 140gr to try. Put them on the shelf till I needed some more ammo, but never loaded the first one. Still have all those 140's as I write this. Also still have several boxes of the Sierra 130's loaded to use up some day hopefully.
I use the same sierra 130s since '85.

Which Hornady 140s are they?

Many a hog have dropped to the .308 180 gr Core Lokt in my Saint Victor. 👍

still like my WBY Mag .270 though 😁
The 180s fly pretty good for you? I've had really good results with Federal Sierra Gold Match King 168gr HPBT... But then I'm only shooting paper and Coyotes.

The 180s fly pretty good for you? I've had really good results with Federal Sierra Gold Match King 168gr HPBT... But then I'm only shooting paper and Coyotes.
Those OTM loads really don’t open up much; aren’t designed to, though.

They do fly well; the 168gr SMK is my preferred .308 precision rifle load. Tried 185’s, but never got the same degree of accuracy, even at half a mile (880 yards).

Back