testtest

40 Caliber

Yep, I fell for the hype. 45 Power! 9mm capacity! I bought a S&W 4006 as soon as they came out. :rolleyes:
I quickly discovered I couldn't shoot it worth a damn. I could never be sure if it was me or the gun. All I knew for sure was I could shoot my 9s and 45s much better than this thing.
I fought that gun for 2 years. I tried just about every commercial ammo made. I reloaded every bullet and powder I could find. I never did find a load that worked. :(
I tried to sell it, but nobody wanted it. I finally managed to trade it off. Lost my butt on the deal, but was glad to be rid of the damned thing. :mad:
The .40 S&W was dead to me a long time ago. :poop:

The first 40 Smith & Wesson handgun I ever bought was a CZ75B.

FB_IMG_1715095774761.jpg

Stock Photo

The 75B is IMO a good design for the 40 Smith & Wesson. It's an all steel pistol, it's heavy and the way the slide sits inside the frame tends to make it more accurate pistol.

I never had any problem with accuracy on my 75B. If it had been on the approved list for HSS I would have kept it.

FB_IMG_1715096004046.jpg

This is my 4006. A friend offered to me for $200 because he "wanted to make sure he gave me a good deal on it." That's a direct quote.

It's the only .40 I own.

I don't know if the .40 is a "dead cartridge". I know that when I decided to consolidate to one caliber my wife couldn't shoot a .40S&W due to her arthritis. Now she can't shoot a 9mm and carries a can of UDAP for self defense.

FB_IMG_1715096450272.jpg

If I had to start over again today I would still choose 9mm over .40 because it's more available but I don't think .40S&W is a "Dead" caliber.

I don’t mind the .40, in the right platform—that heing a full-size, or hefty midsized pistol; my favorite .40’s have been Sig P226 & P229, USP40 & compact, Glock 22 (not the 23, though)..the FNX40 was also a remarkably good platform.

The interchangeability with .357 Sig in a lot of models is a plus, as well.

I kinda think a SBR/Carbine .40 would be a decent sweet spot, though; out if a 16” barrel, you’re getting 10mm+ level performance…even 8-10” barrel you can get a solid 1100fps out of a 180gr .40.

That being said, I rarely carry, or even shoot a .40 anymore.

I thoroughly enjoy the .40. Carried it as the issued work gun (Gen4 G23) up until retirement and have always liked the .40 for matches where there are falling steel targets. Pretty much wore a G22 down to a nub shooting IDPA and steel and I just picked up a .40 SIG P239 SAS as an AIWB carry gun.

Glock22 steel.jpg

I kinda think a SBR/Carbine .40 would be a decent sweet spot, though; out if a 16” barrel, you’re getting 10mm+ level performance…even 8-10” barrel you can get a solid 1100fps out of a 180gr .40.
I owned a Ruger PCC in .40 Smith & Wesson for a time. It was a great gun the only problem that I had with it is that it used Ruger P94 magazines and they were almost impossible to find.

Nothing especially “wrong” with the .40 it’s just got tough competition from the warmer 9’s, it’s down on power compared to full boat 10’s, and harder to shoot well than a .45. Recoil is the reason the 10 isn’t “the”service round for PD’s today (just like the.41 Mag from back in the day.). Darned effective, but too much of a good thing for most officers.

The 40 isn’t as dead as some think. It’s a good round but is better in steel frame guns or guns designed for it (HK USP Sig 229 S&W M&P etc) the new Glock Gen 5 should stand up better with a thicker and heavier slide but you still have to change your recoil springs when it says to.

It’s more about practice familiarity and shot placement no matter what you shoot or use.

9mm is hard to beat because it’s cheaper, there’s usually availability and more variety of defensive rounds

357 Sig and 45 Gap are probably closer to not being used than 40 ever will be due to cost

Get rid of recoil by using 135's and forget the 165's and heavier! 135's (even 150's are possible)offer 50% more energy than any 9 (including +p) will ever have and it's a pleasure to shoot! I don't see any + side of shooting the heaviest per caliber. Stats won't convince me as it's always a controlled situation! Having a p226 in 357sig gives me a barrel swap option and shooting a g22 and 5.25" xdm isn't snappy with 180's (my experience).

The 40 isn’t as dead as some think. It’s a good round but is better in steel frame guns or guns designed for it (HK USP Sig 229 S&W M&P etc) the new Glock Gen 5 should stand up better with a thicker and heavier slide but you still have to change your recoil springs when it says to.

It’s more about practice familiarity and shot placement no matter what you shoot or use.

9mm is hard to beat because it’s cheaper, there’s usually availability and more variety of defensive rounds

357 Sig and 45 Gap are probably closer to not being used than 40 ever will be due to cost
Try 50gi on the dead list in small frame (might be in large frame). 357sig will never be dead (not to me), but the 45gap I don't see gaining any ground or coming back.

Try 50gi on the dead list in small frame (might be in large frame). 357sig will never be dead (not to me), but the 45gap I don't see gaining any ground or coming back.
Hahahah I actually had a kid on the range with a 50 GI so I guess if you have enough brass (he actually ordered a bunch of loaded stuff recently he showed me which I hadn’t seen forever)

357 won’t die as a couple state agencies still use it (VA and I believe SD still run it not sure I believe Delaware and NC have switched. I know TN went to 9mm)

But it never took off as much as 40. 45 Gap though in a pinch I could run it…in my 45 acp Wheelguns and moon clips like 38 in a 357

I

totally agree if the 40 I had was in a cz I probably would of kept it the steel frame would definitely absorb the recoil better .

Back