testtest

5 Top Car Carry Options

Good information, thanks. Some good solutions there.

This trip I used the new Stoner dual carry holster in the cross draw mode with the Model 60. It was very comfortable and easily accessible.

20211115_195712.jpg

Good article Mike, thanks! Was an interesting read.

Another thing came to mind while reading. On installing gun mounts or many other things in, on or under dashboards and consoles, may want to read owners manuals on many newer vehicles 1st. Some things may interfere with airbag deployment or other vehicle safety features depending on where device is mounted.

On the mounting a holster to a vehicle instead of magnets or other fasteners or just laying loose, that could be a good thing depending on where holster is mounted in the vehicle and could be a very good idea in some scenarios.

The planner idea can work well, some even have belt loops on them making the setup work in a variety of ways. Have done before. Many have separate room or compartments for cell phones, pens, mags and other small items. The cases do look like modified cell phone holsters or day planners. A plus for CC.

Is a shame and likely an oversight that crossdraw, ankle and shoulder holsters weren't included in the list, they can work well too for when vehicles. Then, the HG's are constantly in reach in or out of vehicle if holstered on person. On that note, all things depending, mounting HG's in vehicles can lead to forgotten guns, loose or displaced HG's in vehicles when in an accident or sudden stops.

I practice out on some land, sitting in a folding chair, and shooting with the pistol facing 9 o clock out across my body.
As if sitting in the drivers seat with seat belt on and needing to shoot out your drivers window/door.
I place a cardboard target about 7 feet away.

I draw from my holster on my right hip , extend my arm out over /above my left knee about chest high and shoot one handed.
I try to simulate if I have to draw and fire while being in the drivers seat and not able to exfil.
Suprised on how much harder it was to hit a good shot on the target in the beginning. Got it down pat now.

About a month ago I had an exchange here with a newer member who took exception to my comment on another thread about this topic where I suggested gun magnets. He actually had some good info backed up with some real data about physics and force during a car wreck. Even a fairly minor car wreck. I have since changed my opinion on gun magnets in cars. This got me thinking about some of the other options.

I have been in at least 3 wrecks where the center console became mobile. I'm not saying this disqualifies the center console as an option for me, but it kinda does. Besides, screwing around trying to open up the lid in a critical moment doesn't seem like that great of an option anyway. Hans mentioned one of the better options I think, having something that retains your gun tucked between the seats. The best option ( For me ) is on my person somewhere, easily and quickly accessible. Like a shoulder rig or an OWB.

I will admit that often when I am going someplace where I feel I won't need or want to actually have a gun on my person, for example going to work on my sister's house or going to my folk's for Thanksgiving dinner, I will often keep a pistol and an extra mag in the safe that's bolted to the floor under my seat. That's just for emergency situations like, I don't know, the truck breaks down and leaves me stranded somewhere or whatever.

I carry appendix and it works well in my car. I just make sure my shirt is outside my seat belt.

Regarding magnets and other holsters attached to the vehicle, you're going to want to check your own state laws. Up until a few months ago, it was illegal in Texas, unless the pistol was concealed (regardless of whether you had a license to carry, or not). Personally, I don't want to take the chance of being separated for my pistol in a collision.

A magnet is a terrible vehicle storage option. In a fender bender it is incapable of holding on to the gun. If that fender bender was the means to distract you, now you are unarmed. If it wasn't you still need to go looking for your gun

IWB on my right side. It actually sits in the seat crease just behind the seat belt connection so there is no additional pressure on me and it is easy to reach. On long interstate drives I have pulled it out and just laid it in the center console, I always have a pocket holster available in case I do.

My console has an opening at the front. I made a small plywood divider for it and clip my IWB to it when I get in the truck. Stays secure and its an easy move to grab it cleanly. Best of all I didn't have to buy another holster, I have too many now. If it has to get left behind, and it rarely gets left behind, it goes into the safe under the seat.

Not a fan of off body carry in a vehicle.
A innocent accident or typical carjacking is very likely to render the firearm out of reach when needed.

Console carry requires more time to retrieve it than the typical armed attack lasts.

I believe that both sound tactics and basic firearms responsibility require the elimination of both those hazards to control of the firearm.

Which usually means the discomfort and inconvenience of on body carry while strapped in a seatbelt.

There’s no question that that hinders fast deployment.
But it is a lot faster than fumbling with console latches an lids or looking for your gun after an armed carjacker rear ends you…a common opening tactic of carjackers.

If your in an accident and hit in the face with an airbag can you find your pistol? Would you be able to?

I've not been in a situation where I've been in an accident and could not find my pistol, who has?

I don't know if there is any right or wrong answer but a lot of good
arguments and things to consider.

So far between the seat and console are winning with me...if it is not on my body.

Car carry causes me consternation to this day. I'm a lefty and carry cross draw appendix. OK, herein lies the issue. draw across body with left hand and can stop anyone coming in through passenger side. Car jacker ain't coming in through passenger side. Now sit in your car and hold your weapon in your left hand and you will see that you are really limited in protecting your side of the car. Only viable solution is to practice drawing from a right handed position and to also practice at the range "wrong handed".

Car carry causes me consternation to this day. I'm a lefty and carry cross draw appendix. OK, herein lies the issue. draw across body with left hand and can stop anyone coming in through passenger side. Car jacker ain't coming in through passenger side. Now sit in your car and hold your weapon in your left hand and you will see that you are really limited in protecting your side of the car. Only viable solution is to practice drawing from a right handed position and to also practice at the range "wrong handed".
Let's call it "weak hand", wrong hand just doesn't sound right. I do see your dilemma though. I am right handed but agree that practicing weak hand draw and shoot, from a seated position like @KillerFord1977 does above, sounds like a viable solution.

Personally, I need to practice this seated draw and shoot myself for in the vehicles and I should do some weak hand shooting practice too.

Good luck with the draw.

Brother you should be doing that anyway. I'm not saying I shoot as well weak hand as I do strong hand, but I am certainly not uncomfortable shooting weak hand. On topic though, you aren't going to want to car carry it in a left hand holster though.

Back