testtest

5.56 vs. Drywall: Is Your Home Defense Gun Dangerous?

I really expected to see more conversation about the negative effects of overtravel in an urban defense situation and was surprised by the choice to use the more powerful ammo.
This site has done some great tests, and this one seems relevant to the post.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "5.56 vs. Drywall: Is Your Home Defense Gun Dangerous?" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/5-56-vs-drywall-is-your-home-defense-gun-dangerous/.

223 Frontier 55 grain nearly identical to 556 Black in drywall damage and second gel block penetration. 223 frags after drywall and in second block. Those fragments create a lot of damage and lose speed faster than a jacketed bullet, thereby being safer than a jacketed bullet in CQD. Frontier 223 is cheaper, and the round you will likely practice with, ensuring best results at the range and home defense. 223 for the win in this test.

I really expected to see more conversation about the negative effects of overtravel in an urban defense situation and was surprised by the choice to use the more powerful ammo.
This site has done some great tests, and this one seems relevant to the post.

I agree with everything about this article.

I think the whole " Overpenetration" conversation has only become a talking point in the last several years or so. And frankly I think statistically it's a non-starter. I haven't found anyone who could provide me of an example of a home defense scenario where an innocent person was injured due to over penetration. Like the author says, it has to be able to penetrate walls if you want it to penetrate bad guys.

Frankly I agree with this guy too.

The comments are gold. Like this one.

"I'm working on a round that reaches out just far enough to get to the bad guy, then hugs him, and only him, to death."

Last edited:
I find it interesting that all this information on the effectiveness of the cartridge for self defense is with the use of a SBR. I’ve heard A LOT of people talk about how a short barrel .223 is useless because of the velocity loss. Doesn’t sound like that is the case to me. I know this, I would not want to be shot with a .223 bullet coming out of a short barrel rifle or pistol...

I find it interesting that all this information on the effectiveness of the cartridge for self defense is with the use of a SBR. I’ve heard A LOT of people talk about how a short barrel .223 is useless because of the velocity loss. Doesn’t sound like that is the case to me. I know this, I would not want to be shot with a .223 bullet coming out of a short barrel rifle or pistol...
I'm getting ready to put together a pistol. I'd be real interested in what kind of performance you get out of a 5.56 with an 8.5-10" upper.

I'm getting ready to put together a pistol. I'd be real interested in what kind of performance you get out of a 5.56 with an 8.5-10" upper.
The guy in the original video never revealed his barrel length, but it looked like his was in that range. I have a 7.5” Victor. I know this, I would not want to be shot with it. Bet it would do as much, if not more damage than a 9mm pistol.

The guy in the original video never revealed his barrel length, but it looked like his was in that range. I have a 7.5” Victor. I know this, I would not want to be shot with it. Bet it would do as much, if not more damage than a 9mm pistol.
I know I have said here in the thread about my first AR, that I would build/assemble the next one myself and it would be a nice one, but an opportunity has presented itself and I think I'm going to do a pistol with PSA upper and lower.

Interesting video. I'm curious as to why you have a magnifier on a home defense carbine?
Some people live on 10 acres.

Seriously though, a 3x magnifier or variable zoom would be fine in a home defense situation. Example: bad people drive up your driveway and stop in your yard. Lots of rural or lots with larger acres have long approaches to their house. A magnifier +red dot could be useful in a certain circumstance. You could flip the magnifier out of the way for close in the house front doorway - entry less that 10 yard engagement.

I run a magnifier on some rifles. Open sight on others. I personally would go open sight for home defense, but a see the rational of both.

I did not watch the video

Of course my home defense gun is dangerous. Firearms are dangerous, discharging a firearm indoors can certainly be dangerous, defending ones self with numerous occupants in close proximity can be dangerous. At the same time, a unabated danger inside your home which is considered an immediate threat, can also be dangerous and perhaps even more so. Fast moving projectiles put holes in things, its not rocket science and although I do not argue with the fact that its possible to mitigate some of the risks associated with over penetration, I think some people are chasing that unattainable unicorn via what some believe to be magically imbued ammo.

My efforts to help mitigate over penetration rests in the fact that I do not use a RIFLE for self defense inside the home.

Back