testtest

9mm — Is it great or does it suck?

Just my two-bit opinion, but I like:
.380 for plinking
9mm is OK for concealed carry or backup gun (Hellcat, plz!)
.40 for full-size OWB EDC (mine is the XDM)
.45 milspec parkerized 1911A1 with walnut grips, in dress leather, for church
10MM XDM for when it absolutely must be destroyed RFN (like when you're hunting and a grizzly rushes you)!!!

I concur the caliber debate will go on forever, and with modern defensive ammo providing parity regardless of caliber, the only issue is what you want to EDC that you're proficient with. Many people want 9mm because it gives you maximum quantity and it's a very easy shooting round. The main consideration for anyone looking to buy a pistol is to get what fits your hand best and offers you the best control & accuracy FOR YOU. What works for anyone else may not work for you or vice-versa. No firearm is necessarily equal to another. So you have to go try out several pistols; Rent from a range, borrow a relative or friend's pistol, whatever you need to do to try different makes & models. And that's just pistols. Ammunition is a whole other ball of wax.

Attachments

• 32832309-D554-4DA1-8010-AB9E84E98B67.jpeg
    32832309-D554-4DA1-8010-AB9E84E98B67.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 261
I agree with the above. I also think that projectile technology plays as large a role, if not larger, than simply caliber size. With the technology taken into account, the most important aspect really IS "make sure to get something you are comfortable and proficient with".

I agree with the above. I also think that projectile technology plays as large a role, if not larger, than simply caliber size. With the technology taken into account, the most important aspect really IS "make sure to get something you are comfortable and proficient with".
Something that fits the occasion too. Can't carry my 300 BO pistol concealed or even the 454 while I'm shopping.
I'll need something that is easy to get out and function quickly.
On the other hand, around the house at night and there's that bump in the dark, a little BO is just right.

I've been reading gun mags since I was a kid and forums more these days, and I remember when the 9mm was absolute "garbage" and worthless. If you didn't have a .45 you didn't have nuthin'... Then the .40 appeared and "fixed" everything. Now, the 9mm is back on top. The .40 is a waste, the .45 is too big and slow, and the 9mm is the greatest thing in the world. Now I know the "experts" are saying the 9 is fine now, but is it really? Has there really been any testing of new 9mm ammo to support this notion that the 9 is fine now? What do you all think?
All you need to know. Best video discussing calibers I have ever watched. The real discussion in the video is toward the end.

With modern ammo 9mm is pretty damn effective. Where the advantage lies I think is with getting back down on the target faster due to less recoil. I'm totally used to .45s and have no problems in that area, but I did recently buy my first 9mm ( Walther Q5 Match) and it's a great gun. It's mostly for the range.

using this ideology, how many would use an AR 15 for your Trophy Bull Elk hunt? Light weight, holds lots of rounds, light recoil? None of you!!! Anyone that puts any time and effort into their hunt will take at the minimum a .270 or .308......most will choose something larger! Why? so the savvy hunter can humainly put down that big bull Elk! And that Elk will not be shooting back at you, nor try to kill you with a knife, etc. so why would anyone choose a smaller caliber because someone from a Blog, or gun mag say it's good to go, when that isn't an Elk but a bad guy trying to do you harm...….?

I too find the ever rotating opinions of so called "experts" exhausting. How something can go from worst to first without really changing much at all just goes to show you that it's really all about perception. For me, I fired a lot of .45 and a lot of 9mm. I never messed with .40. Didn't see the point. After a while, I was able to make my own informed choices. For example, I found that I could shoot 9mm all day long and never get fatigued. Not so with the .45. I also began to appreciate the fact that with 9mm it seemed like I always had more rounds per magazine to work with. Finally, my accuracy with a 9mm as compared to a .45 was consistently much better. Since then, I've standardized on 9mm for all of my handguns and haven't looked back. I'd like to think that my own personal experiences will always drive my choices more so than what any "expert" might say on a given day.

using this ideology, how many would use an AR 15 for your Trophy Bull Elk hunt? Light weight, holds lots of rounds, light recoil? None of you!!! Anyone that puts any time and effort into their hunt will take at the minimum a .270 or .308......most will choose something larger! Why? so the savvy hunter can humainly put down that big bull Elk! And that Elk will not be shooting back at you, nor try to kill you with a knife, etc. so why would anyone choose a smaller caliber because someone from a Blog, or gun mag say it's good to go, when that isn't an Elk but a bad guy trying to do you harm...….?

Personally I carry a .45. Statistically, according to FBI data a 9mm is just as effective though. Have you seen the size of the hole a 124 gr, HST leaves? Shot placement is key. Not many men can take 2 to the chest or one to the noodle from a 9mm and keep advancing. Using your ideology you should be carrying a .454 or at least a .44. I have a few .44s and .357s. I don't carry them. I'd rather have 19 rounds of 9mm HST then 5 rounds of .44 mag.

This is all very subjective. People should carry what they're comfortable with, what they train with and what they shoot well. All those cops and FBI agents and Navy Seals aren't carrying 9mm because they read on the internet that it was the best.

Agreed!
I'm one of the few that really like the .40 But, I'm crazy accurate with it. And it has a bit more punch than the 9mm. And for the ones that say today's advanced technology makes the 9mm equal is totally wrong. The advancements in the .40 also have improved, not just the 9mm. And the .40 Cal 180 grain to me is a superior self defense round. But again it's just my opinion. And I also agree all three 9mm, .40, and 45 are good rounds. They all have their own application. I personally don't think anyone should down another for their choice of ammo. I like what I like, nobody will change that. Same as I would never try to change someone else's choice in ammo or caliber. I'm just glad you own a firearm.

Agreed!
I'm one of the few that really like the .40 But, I'm crazy accurate with it. And it has a bit more punch than the 9mm. And for the ones that say today's advanced technology makes the 9mm equal is totally wrong. The advancements in the .40 also have improved, not just the 9mm. And the .40 Cal 180 grain to me is a superior self defense round. But again it's just my opinion. And I also agree all three 9mm, .40, and 45 are good rounds. They all have their own application. I personally don't think anyone should down another for their choice of ammo. I like what I like, nobody will change that. Same as I would never try to change someone else's choice in ammo or caliber. I'm just glad you own a firearm.
I never heard anyone say advances in ammo tech made them equal. I said made them effective. And statistics show they are just as effective. Does anyone think a 1/2" hole through your head is less deadly than a 1" hole through your head?

I never heard anyone say advances in ammo tech made them equal. I said made them effective. And statistics show they are just as effective. Does anyone think a 1/2" hole through your head is less deadly than a 1" hole through your head?
Check this out. I wasn't speaking about what you said. I was referencing other posts in this thread. But now that you mention it, in your post #52 you mention "modern ammo". So what exactly does that mean if not advances in ammo technology? Thought you would have read the previous post that speak on it directly. Guess you didn't. Further, my post also stated that my choice was my opinion, and that all three calibers have their own application. And even furthered with I don't think someone should down another for their choice in ammo. But here you are with something to prove for some reason. And your opinion is just that, your opinion. It definitely won't change mine. I don't care what studies you have read on the internet. But I guess if you read it on the the internet, it must be true. At this point we will just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I may be way off base, but wasnt the change from .45 and .357 style guns to 9mm, etc, partly due to training proficiency?

it took longer to properly train a soldier or law enforcement officer on the larger calibers to be really proficient is what I remember from long ago. Thus switching out to 9mm in the army from .45

Check this out. I wasn't speaking about what you said. I was referencing other posts in this thread. But now that you mention it, in your post #52 you mention "modern ammo". So what exactly does that mean if not advances in ammo technology? Thought you would have read the previous post that speak on it directly. Guess you didn't. Further, my post also stated that my choice was my opinion, and that all three calibers have their own application. And even furthered with I don't think someone should down another for their choice in ammo. But here you are with something to prove for some reason. And your opinion is just that, your opinion. It definitely won't change mine. I don't care what studies you have read on the internet. But I guess if you read it on the the internet, it must be true. At this point we will just agree to disagree.

Oh, my bad. Please direct me to where someone is making the claim that modern ammo ( i.e. advances in technology) made 9mm equal to .45 so I can laugh at them. And what I read on the internet was FBI data which states that 9mm is as effective at neutralizing a threat and further addresses shot placement, which I also mentioned. And since we're " Checking this out", THIS is specifically what i was responding to.

"so why would anyone choose a smaller caliber because someone from a Blog, or gun mag say it's good to go, when that isn't an Elk but a bad guy trying to do you harm...….?"

And this is the only thing you said that I was addressing:

"And for the ones that say today's advanced technology makes the 9mm equal is totally wrong."

This is an internet forum, if you only want people you are specifically talking to responding to you, maybe you should stick to FB where you can control content.

For the record I don't carry 9mm. I carry .45 and in situations where a smaller footprint is required I carry a .40

Last edited:
Back