testtest

About installing that SMSc red dot on my Hellcat

jumpinjoe

Hellcat
I've had my Hellcat for several months now, but had only limited opportunities to shoot it. I put an SMSc red dot on it not long after I got it, but don't think I got it on correctly. Why? Because yesterday it seemed to have moved on the OSP cut-out. When I first installed it, I could find no instructions on how much torque to use on the screws, and had no torgue screw driver anyway. Nor did I have any blue "Locktite". I just pulled them down till it felt 'right'.

Well, now that I have a torque screw driver and some "Locktite" and am reasonably sure it has moved, I want to re-install it using all the right stuff. However, nowhere can I find just what lb/in value to use in any of my literature, from either SA or Shield. I'm certain of the screw size and length, but what the heck is the torque value? Can anyone here tell me. I want this to be the last time I do this install until I need a battery, so hopefully I'd like to feel sure I did it right. ANYBODY?

Thanks Bassbob, and you're probably right. However, somewhere in the recent past I've seen a recommended torque value for this. I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, and obviously what it was. I should have written it down at the time, but didn't think it would be this hard to find again. Oh well, we live and learn ....... Huh?

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. A few in this thread. I am no smith but I have not had an issue with my RZ and non torque.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. A few in this thread. I am no smith but I have not had an issue with my RZ and non torque.
".................."
That's the one! I found it a few minutes ago and was reading on pg 11 or 12 when I saw your alert. It appears to me to be about 9 in/lbs recommended for the Shield SMSc. I'm going back to my bench right now and put it all back together so the "Locktite" will be cured tomorrow about mid-day. Just in time to wake up, get dressed and off to the range.

Being retired as I am it's relatively common for me to be up at the 'crack' of noon anyway! LOL! ;):)

Thanks y'all.

Well, here I am back after just a little more than 1 hour. My SMSc red dot is back on my Hellcat ,torqued to exactly 9 in/lbs, with a little dab of blue "Locktite" on the very last couple of screw threads ...... and guess what. The apparent point of aim of the dot is exactly where it was before I took it apart. So, I guess what that says is that it had in fact not moved from original set-up/sight-in.

Checked it with a chamber laser again, and turned the laser through 4 stops at 12, 3, 6, & 9 to make sure it was centered. All four stops the dot was sitting right on top of the front sight when lining up the factory sights. In fact I can't even see the sight dot unless I cover the muzzle with my finger to block the laser. Doing that eliminates the laser dot and then I can see the red sight dot. Now that's at about 27-30 ft or 10 yrds. That's kinda' my self imposed distance for me to consider the immediate need for the Hellcat.

I've not had opportunity to try anything any farther up till now, but I'm sure the bullet path is not so high above or below the POA for probably 60-70 yds to cause me any undue concern. I'll let you all know when I can get out to the full range. Shhhhsh ...... but I'm shooting right now out at the old homestead back behind the barn.

And BTW, that Bro n Law (wife's younger brother) I've mentioned before, called just yesterday and has found for me 100 rnds of 124gr FMJ's. C'mon boys, let's go shootin'!!! LOL!

Back