testtest

adjusting Hellcat rear sight

My new Hellcat iron sights are off quite a bit. I want to move the rear sight but there appears to be a small pin glued on both sides of the dovetail presumably to secure the sight from moving. Can I force the sight, and would this void the warranty?

I would use calipers to carefully measure whether or not both sights on your Hellcat are properly centered before moving the sights. You could also use a good laser bore sight to check your sights for proper alignment. Either or both of these will save you a lot of time and trouble. Hans and xdman are extremely knowledgeable and good sources for information. Enjoy your new Hellcat!

Two things: The bullet impact is 3 inches left at 15 yards, held on a bench. It's not me. Secondly, there are two tiny cylindrical pins that appear to be glued along both sides of the rear sight, inside the dovetail. I have taken several microscope images of these little pins and I have a sight pusher that can carefully move the sight. I've never seen these tiny bumpers before, so I'm not sure if I should horse them around. I'm attaching the microscope image.
RearSightBlockingPin.jpg

Two things: The bullet impact is 3 inches left at 15 yards, held on a bench. It's not me. Secondly, there are two tiny cylindrical pins that appear to be glued along both sides of the rear sight, inside the dovetail. I have taken several microscope images of these little pins and I have a sight pusher that can carefully move the sight. I've never seen these tiny bumpers before, so I'm not sure if I should horse them around. I'm attaching the microscope image.
This post made me really curious so I got my Hellcat out and took a look with a tiny particle scope. I also see those little "pin" looking things, but can't convince myself they are actually glued in as opposed to being a part of the dovetail base of the sight. I see no evidence of any glue, etc, that would be holding them in place. Can't see it well enough to bet the farm on, but pretty sure they're part of the sight itself. Would be really curious what you hear back from SA if you call them about it.

Those are the centering marks engraved in the bottom of the dovetail, Every XD/XDM/XDS/MDE has them. That is not used to hold the sights in place only for centering.

Take a needle and rub it you can feel them.

Here you go, not a pin, it is a witness mark. In your picture you can see it on the rear sight but only on the right side correct. But you can't see it on the left side of the rear sight correct. Then that means the rear sight is pushing your impact to the left. With the rear sight the bullet impacts will be opposite the direction of travel. On the Hellcat the witness marks should be even on bth sides of the sight.

777B6039-8446-4950-8AA9-140DF866DA5C.jpeg

Here you go, not a pin, it is a witness mark. In your picture you can see it on the rear sight but only on the right side correct. But you can't see it on the left side of the rear sight correct. Then that means the rear sight is pushing your impact to the left. With the rear sight the bullet impacts will be opposite the direction of travel. On the Hellcat the witness marks should be even on bth sides of the sight.
So much more visible in this picture. Even with the little scope I was using it looked like a small horizontal pin laying there. In this shot you can see it's obviously an inletted mark. Dang, what a trick of the eye.

Glad I ran across this info. Been shooting left with my new Hellcat, and just checked rear sight and sure enough the left “witness” mark is completely covered over by the sight, whereas right mark is clearly visible. Now what? Best to send to SA or just pay local gunsmith? I hate to be without it if I send to SA, not knowing turn-around time. Thanks.

I'm assuming that by this ..... "the left 'witness' mark" is completely covered"..... you're specifying the mark on the left side of the rear notched (or 'U') sight as you hold and look down on the gun. That being the case then your sights will be off to the left at POI. I believe that rear sight is friction held in place and could be 'pushed' to the right just a tad for adjustment. I would not suggest trying to move it with 'hammer and drift' due to the likely hood of damage.

Notice I used the word 'pushed' in moving the sight. There are very simple and relatively inexpensive to use tools called 'Sight Pushers' that do exactly that without causing any damage at all. Check one out and you'll probably not see any need to send it back to SA, although if you do they will take proper care of you. (y) (y) (y)

Glad I ran across this info. Been shooting left with my new Hellcat, and just checked rear sight and sure enough the left “witness” mark is completely covered over by the sight, whereas right mark is clearly visible. Now what? Best to send to SA or just pay local gunsmith? I hate to be without it if I send to SA, not knowing turn-around time. Thanks.
I had the same problem so I sent it back to S.A. for repair, the gun came back the same way off-centered, the left witness mark is still covered WOW I am so disappointed. ( WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY)

View attachment 9431,
Thanks Xdman, I did not know this about the sights, good to know so if you do adjust them, you have a reference point to put them back in original place

I would imagine a good sight pusher would work on the Hellcat
I sent the Hellcat back to Springfield armory to readjust the rear sight, and I received it back the same way off-center. I was shocked. I am sure they have a sight pusher, I believe the sight was installed using hydraulic pressure. It most likely cant be moved without breaking the sight and S.A. probably don't want to take the chance of damaging it any further.

Back