testtest

Adjusting sights

LOL! LOL! LOL! Got it. But in your favor, "lazy" has little to do with it. It's the kind of thing that if not truly required, it's just not all that important.

Never knew they had video games in Oklahoma. Believe it or not, I've never played a video game in my life. Closest thing I ever came to it was some old carnival 'shooting galleries' way back many years ago ..... way before video games.

Did you know Merle Haggard? He's my all time favorite country singer, well maybe with exception of George Jones. I play a little guitar and try to imitate Merle sometimes. Can't do ol' George any justice at all though.

Don't know why I wrote all that except that your post put me in a really good and light hearted mood.

regards,
jumpinjoe
No, haven’t met Merle, but Garth Brooks has come to my theater several times. Mine was a smaller suburban 8 screen and he preferred to go there instead of the bigger busier theaters in Tulsa. He was cool. His body guards were kinda d***s lol.

" ...................... Oh and PewPew is a cross reference from shooter video games (yep as a kid I was shooting those 8-bit ducks with my own sound effects) and a pet name for a pistol round that’s emerged in internet land."
View attachment 8684
You're not gonna believe this but just tonight, about 15 mins ago, I ran across a website called 'Pew Pew Tactical'. Until talking to you a few nights ago (see the quote above) I had never heard the term 'Pew Pew'. Still not quite sure I understand the connection between the words 'Pew Pew' and a pistol round. But then again I'm not a video game player at all, so if that's where/how it originated it stands to reason why I never heard it before.

But strange as it is, then tonight I run across a website called by those very words. And yes, it's a gun related site so there must be some connection. Just for grins and giggles here's a link to the site: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/
It appeared they have some good and relative info on all aspects of guns.

You're not gonna believe this but just tonight, about 15 mins ago, I ran across a website called 'Pew Pew Tactical'. Until talking to you a few nights ago (see the quote above) I had never heard the term 'Pew Pew'. Still not quite sure I understand the connection between the words 'Pew Pew' and a pistol round. But then again I'm not a video game player at all, so if that's where/how it originated it stands to reason why I never heard it before.

But strange as it is, then tonight I run across a website called by those very words. And yes, it's a gun related site so there must be some connection. Just for grins and giggles here's a link to the site: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/
It appeared they have some good and relative info on all aspects of guns.
Pew Pew Tactical is one of my " Go to's" for reviews and " Best of's" for firearm and carry related gear.

Pew Pew Tactical is one of my " Go to's" for reviews and " Best of's" for firearm and carry related gear.
Yeh, for sure I'll be going back there from time to time. They seemed to have a lot of useful info. I didn't stay too long awhile ago when I stumbled on to it because I wanted to get back here and tell OkiePewPew about it. I just thought it was so damned strange to have never heard the term, then in just a couple nights find it twice.

Yeh, for sure I'll be going back there from time to time. They seemed to have a lot of useful info. I didn't stay too long awhile ago when I stumbled on to it because I wanted to get back here and tell OkiePewPew about it. I just thought it was so damned strange to have never heard the term, then in just a couple nights find it twice.

These are funny. Anatomy of a pew and anatomy of a pew pewer.

anatomy of a pew

I’m cross dominate, consider myself to be an “adequate” shooter, and have managed to correct most (most hahaha) of my major deficiencies. I’d like to hear your recommendations for JC88’s issue under the assumption that he’s X-eye. I’d love to get myself from bread plate to baseball.
Did I miss something.......@OkiePewPew....cross what..........🤣🤣🤣🤣

Did I miss something.......@OkiePewPew....cross what..........🤣🤣🤣🤣
He and I were discussing the issue of one being right hand dominant and left eye dominant, or the reverse, and how it usually affects shooters. It came up when asking a new user whether or not he knew if he was X-eyed shooter.

It involved JC88 and his issue of constantly hitting to the left of his target.

Can somebody explain to me the connection between the cartridge and the word "Pew"? I'm usually not quite this dense, but this has me really baffled. :confused:

It's origins are in the sound effects from the original Star Wars movies and usually reference the Stormtroopers in particular. It's internet BS basically. Like The Boog and all the other crap people dream up when they spend way, WAY more time on the internet than they do training.

He and I were discussing the issue of one being right hand dominant and left eye dominant, or the reverse, and how it usually affects shooters. It came up when asking a new user whether or not he knew if he was X-eyed shooter.

It involved JC88 and his issue of constantly hitting to the left of his target.

I am also cross eye dominant. It has been a PITA, but I think I mostly have it mitigated. Maybe not enough to win a bunch of ISPwhatever matches, but I have no doubt I can hit an 8" pie plate from max effective distances of all the pistols I own without the aid of an optic.

It's origins are in the sound effects from the original Star Wars movies and usually reference the Stormtroopers in particular. It's internet BS basically. Like The Boog and all the other crap people dream up when they spend way, WAY more time on the internet than they do training.
Well hell, that explains it !!!. You see not only have I never played a video game, but I also never saw "Star Wars". Dang, does that make me a 'deprived' kid?

Well hell, that explains it !!!. You see not only have I never played a video game, but I also never saw "Star Wars". Dang, does that make me a 'deprived' kid?

Not at all. While my old man did take us to the drive in to see the first batch of Star Wars movies, the ATARI 2600 was never enough to interest me and I never got into any video games either. I was the opposite of deprived though. I was in the fields behind the neighborhood hunting squirrels and Quail or walking the creeks for miles and miles to the river confluences. Which I much prefer to staring at a screen.

Can somebody explain to me the connection between the cartridge and the word "Pew"? I'm usually not quite this dense, but this has me really baffled. :confused:
Not sure a “cartridge” has any connection between the term “pew” I know running around sayin “pew, pew” in the same sense as “Bang, Bang” here is a pew pew switch
E1EC6757-77A5-41D6-B900-412B0CE09DEE.jpeg

Not at all. While my old man did take us to the drive in to see the first batch of Star Wars movies, the ATARI 2600 was never enough to interest me and I never got into any video games either. I was the opposite of deprived though. I was in the fields behind the neighborhood hunting squirrels and Quail or walking the creeks for miles and miles to the river confluences. Which I much prefer to staring at a screen.
Well, there ya' go. That's the story of my life growin' up. !!!! Except I never made it to the movie. I think I remember my younger bro-n-law having an Atari.

Incidentally, while I think everyone should train to shoot with both your strong and weak hand, I think switching is probably the least desirable fix for cross eye dominance. At least with pistols. A very slight adjustment in stance and draw can easily line you up with your strong eye. The best option, for me anyway, was to train myself to shoot with both eyes open. The easiest way to get used to it is to focus on the target first and the front sight second. I know, I know, we’re supposed to focus on the front sight, but while you are training yourself to shoot with both eyes open focusing initially on the target is the fastest way to line your front sight up with your dominant eye. Once you have the blade in the notch you can shift your focus. And after you’ve done this awhile it becomes muscle memory. And tactically we should all keep both our eyes open at all times anyway.

As for scoped rifles its kind of a moot point. People will disagree with me, but I am a guy who has been semi-ambidextrous my whole life. There are some things I am more comfortable doing from one side or the other and some things it doesn’t much matter. I write, shoot a pistol and play guitar right handed. I box, bat and kick left handed/footed. Shooting a rifle it never much mattered. Frankly shooting a pistol is easy enough both ways too but now I’m muddying the waters. Shooting a rifle with irons I was generally a little more accurate left handed. I guess I really haven’t shot a rifle with iron sights since I discovered I was cross eye dominant. I know I killed plenty of deer and squirrels shooting non-scoped rifles right handed though.

Last edited:
Incidentally, while I think everyone should train to shoot with both your strong and weak hand, I think switching is probably the least desirable fix for cross eyed dominance. At least with pistols. A very slight adjustment in stance and draw can easily line you up with your strong eye. The best option, for me anyway, was to train myself to shoot with both eyes open. The easiest way to get used to it is to focus on the target first and the front sight second. I know, I know, we’re supposed to focus on the front sight, but while you are training yourself to shoot with both eyes open focusing initially on the target is the fastest way to line your front sight up with your dominant eye. Once you have the blade in the notch you can shift your focus. And after you’ve done this awhile it becomes muscle memory. And tactically we should all keep both our eyes open at all times anyway.

As for scoped rifles its kind of a moot point. People will disagree with me, but I am a guy who has been semi-ambidextrous my whole life. There are some things I am more comfortable doing from one side or the other and some things it doesn’t much matter. I write, shoot a pistol and play guitar right handed. I box, bat and kick left handed/footed. Shooting a rifle it never much mattered. Frankly shooting a pistol is easy enough both ways too but now I’m muddying the waters. Shooting a rifle with irons I was generally a little more accurate left handed. I guess I really haven’t shot a rifle with iron sights since I discovered I was cross eye dominant. I know I killed plenty of deer and squirrels shooting non-scoped rifles right handed though.
Well, knock on wood, I'm not an X-eyed shooter. I'm a born, bred, and trained south paw. I do everything in life with my left hand, left leg/foot, and left eye. I can't even scratch my **** with my right hand. Well, I do play a right handed guitar, but I sure don't consider that being ambidextrous. It's just that I never had a left handed guitar ..... :D

And while I certainly agree with you on practicing with both strong and weak hand shooting, that has little bearing on the subject of X-eyed shooting. The 'strong' hand is usually the same as the 'dominant' hand, and the dominant hand is the one you've learned to shoot proficiently with. Over many years of instructing, I have worked with many X-eyed shooters. It's been my experience and typically the recommendation of most instructors who deal with it (X-eyed shooter) that if I can start with them early enough in their shooting career, and I can convince them to shoot according to their dominant eye regardless of the dominant hand, they will eventually become naturally more proficient shooters. On the other hand, if they've already developed the habit of shooting X-eyed, it becomes a much harder task not only to help them become a better shot, it also becomes harder to convince them to shoot following their naturally dominant eye. Their shooting competency then becomes directly related more to how much they practice rather than taking advantage of any natural proficiency.

I myself also usually shoot open sighted handguns and long guns with both eyes open. Back when we were shooting a lot of Hunter's Pistol silhouette competitions, we used scopes of various kinds on our competition handguns and one eye was the norm. But with scopes you're actually focusing on the target anyway and involuntarily seeing the cross hairs. In fact most, if not all instructions for reflex sights today will recommend you focus on the target and not the red dot/window. If the red dot and open sights co-witness, you will involuntarily see the gun's sights even when focusing on the target.

I just recently put a SMSc red dot on my Hellcat, and the red dot sits directly on top of the front sight when shooting. It would be at approximately the 6:eek:clock position on the target. The open sights and the red dot coincide at about the 27'-28' foot distance, just shy of 10 yds. And I love the 'ball-n-the-bucket' Hellcat sights because they are so easy to see even without focusing on them.

Well, knock on wood, I'm not an X-eyed shooter. I'm a born, bred, and trained south paw. I do everything in life with my left hand, left leg/foot, and left eye. I can't even scratch my **** with my right hand. Well, I do play a right handed guitar, but I sure don't consider that being ambidextrous. It's just that I never had a left handed guitar ..... :D

And while I certainly agree with you on practicing with both strong and weak hand shooting, that has little bearing on the subject of X-eyed shooting. The 'strong' hand is usually the same as the 'dominant' hand, and the dominant hand is the one you've learned to shoot proficiently with. Over many years of instructing, I have worked with many X-eyed shooters. It's been my experience and typically the recommendation of most instructors who deal with it (X-eyed shooter) that if I can start with them early enough in their shooting career, and I can convince them to shoot according to their dominant eye regardless of the dominant hand, they will eventually become naturally more proficient shooters. On the other hand, if they've already developed the habit of shooting X-eyed, it becomes a much harder task not only to help them become a better shot, it also becomes harder to convince them to shoot following their naturally dominant eye. Their shooting competency then becomes directly related more to how much they practice rather than taking advantage of any natural proficiency.

I myself also usually shoot open sighted handguns and long guns with both eyes open. Back when we were shooting a lot of Hunter's Pistol silhouette competitions, we used scopes of various kinds on our competition handguns and one eye was the norm. But with scopes you're actually focusing on the target anyway and involuntarily seeing the cross hairs. In fact most, if not all instructions for reflex sights today will recommend you focus on the target and not the red dot/window. If the red dot and open sights co-witness, you will involuntarily see the gun's sights even when focusing on the target.

I just recently put a SMSc red dot on my Hellcat, and the red dot sits directly on top of the front sight when shooting. It would be at approximately the 6:eek:clock position on the target. The open sights and the red dot coincide at about the 27'-28' foot distance, just shy of 10 yds. And I love the 'ball-n-the-bucket' Hellcat sights because they are so easy to see even without focusing on them.
Any serious left handed guitar player back then would have flipped the old girl upside down. Ala Paul McCartney, Elliot Easton, James Marshall Hendrix. 🤪
I know a lefty who can blow your mind equally well either right side up or upside down on a right or left handed guitar. Back then you guys had little choice. I personally could no sooner play a left handed guitar than I could shoot the moon out with a crossbow. :)

Incidentally, while I think everyone should train to shoot with both your strong and weak hand, I think switching is probably the least desirable fix for cross eye dominance. At least with pistols. A very slight adjustment in stance and draw can easily line you up with your strong eye. The best option, for me anyway, was to train myself to shoot with both eyes open. The easiest way to get used to it is to focus on the target first and the front sight second. I know, I know, we’re supposed to focus on the front sight, but while you are training yourself to shoot with both eyes open focusing initially on the target is the fastest way to line your front sight up with your dominant eye. Once you have the blade in the notch you can shift your focus. And after you’ve done this awhile it becomes muscle memory. And tactically we should all keep both our eyes open at all times anyway.

As I said above I started “shooting” on Nintendo’s duck hunt game. The first time I played it was at a neighbor’s house and his 60” tv. With the length of the gun controllers cord you had to stand pretty close and closing one eye meant not seeing 1/2 the ducks coming up. So, I learned very early to shoot both eyes open. After picking up actual shooting it always felt completely unnatural to close my left eye like everyone else seemed to do and continued my eyes wide open style. Didn’t find out until years later about X-eye and it all finally made sense. Also super helpful when I added in a rifle with RDS, no learning curve.

Back