testtest

AFFORDABLE 1911S

Apparently at least a couple of you had bad experiences with Taurus 1911s. Can you tell us more? What kind of problems did you have, and even more importantly, how long ago?
I owned a Taurus PT1911 for a few years and never had a problem with it. I probably put 200-300 rounds through it. It was a heavy firearm but it was "lefty friendly" which this lefty liked. In fact the PT1911 was the first ambi 1911 I ever owned and aside from the heavy weight it impressed me.

I also owned a Tisas 1911 with a rail and it impressed me more than the PT1911. My favorite 1911s over the years(don't own one now) were the Sig Sauer 1911 Revolution and a Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec that was Green like this old Marine...:)

Apparently at least a couple of you had bad experiences with Taurus 1911s. Can you tell us more? What kind of problems did you have, and even more importantly, how long ago?

Haven’t personally owned one…but friends (who disregarded my dire warnings) did buy them…

One snapped the barrel link during the first range session; went back to Taurus, came back and did it again within 100 rounds. It went back again, got replaced entirely (new gun). That one ran, but had terrible galling issues on the frame rails. The machining inside was also craptastic; made Soviet machine work look top notch.

The other had feed issues constantly. No matter what mag, what ammo, despite polishing the ramp, trying different recoil springs…it would love to FTRB, FTE, and even occasionally stovepipe. It was great for failure drills, though. Also had the craptastic machining.

This was late 2000’s, iirc. I doubt they’ve gotten any better.

Mess with the bull, get the horns.

Haven’t personally owned one…but friends (who disregarded my dire warnings) did buy them…

One snapped the barrel link during the first range session; went back to Taurus, came back and did it again within 100 rounds. It went back again, got replaced entirely (new gun). That one ran, but had terrible galling issues on the frame rails. The machining inside was also craptastic; made Soviet machine work look top notch.

The other had feed issues constantly. No matter what mag, what ammo, despite polishing the ramp, trying different recoil springs…it would love to FTRB, FTE, and even occasionally stovepipe. It was great for failure drills, though. Also had the craptastic machining.

This was late 2000’s, iirc. I doubt they’ve gotten any better.

Mess with the bull, get the horns.
Thanks for the VERY detailed report--exactly the kind of information I was asking for. Well done! ;) (y)

For once an article that is not titled: “the Best… blah, blah, blah”.

Some good choices. Surprised SA Mil Spec defended was not on the list but a Ronin was 🤔🤔
I hate "best" articles, thank God this aint one.
I am probably biased by impressions made years ago. Some of the models touted today had real issues back then. I guess in a perfect world, they could actually improve. :cool:
I recently purchased the Tisas Army model. I think it's going to be good, but honestly have had issues with my reloads that have screwed up any kind of reliability testing. I've ordered a bulge buster and have started using a case gauge to minimize issues.

Most of you know I have been a firearms instructor for many years. I am a certified armorer for SIG, Glock, ans Springfield 1911's. My S&W and Remington certs are long expired. I have my own private range as well as working many other private and LE ranges. Over the years I have seen failures in all manner of firearms so none are immune. Once you eliminate bad ammo, bad magazines, and operator error, the gun is left as the culprit. I can only tell you that I have seen more gun failures with Taurus than with all the other brands put together. It got to be enough of a disruption on the line that I would not let a student go through the course of fire with a Taurus. Oh, and I put SCCY in the same basket. The blessing is that most folks buying guns at this price point don't use them much.

Some folks have Taurus guns that work and they love them. The problem with TAURUS in my view has been a lack of consistent quality control. They have a nice guarantee to fix it if it doesn't work, but how about making sure it works right before you ship it? You might get a good one that works great, and if you do, congratulations. Perhaps they will get their QC straightened out in an American factory. But in my book they have a long way to go before I would strap one on to ride the river

FWIW—my recommendation to anyone starting out on a 1911 is the Rock Island FS Ultra; they run around $600 in stores in my area. G10 grips, FO front sight, adjustable rear, beaver tail safety…and they run great.

For the $500 range—the Rock Standard 1911 is also a great budget choice. Novak-style sights, rubber grips, beaver tail…

Not as familiar with the Turks, but…I think there are comparably outfitted & priced models from both Girsan & Tisas.

It depends on what the definition of the word "affordable" is.

1705939433170.png

Most of you know I have been a firearms instructor for many years. I am a certified armorer for SIG, Glock, ans Springfield 1911's. My S&W and Remington certs are long expired. I have my own private range as well as working many other private and LE ranges. Over the years I have seen failures in all manner of firearms so none are immune. Once you eliminate bad ammo, bad magazines, and operator error, the gun is left as the culprit. I can only tell you that I have seen more gun failures with Taurus than with all the other brands put together. It got to be enough of a disruption on the line that I would not let a student go through the course of fire with a Taurus. Oh, and I put SCCY in the same basket. The blessing is that most folks buying guns at this price point don't use them much.

Some folks have Taurus guns that work and they love them. The problem with TAURUS in my view has been a lack of consistent quality control. They have a nice guarantee to fix it if it doesn't work, but how about making sure it works right before you ship it? You might get a good one that works great, and if you do, congratulations. Perhaps they will get their QC straightened out in an American factory. But in my book they have a long way to go before I would strap one on to ride the river
Okay, this is a good report but not a GREAT report. I gather that you have experienced a number of different types of problems. Are you talking about ALL Taurus products, or specifically about their 1911s, or all their semiauto pistols of various types (PT-92/99)? I've never owned any Taurus product but I've known people who own their revolvers and the PT-92/99 series and they seem to be very happy with them.

Okay, this is a good report but not a GREAT report. I gather that you have experienced a number of different types of problems. Are you talking about ALL Taurus products, or specifically about their 1911s, or all their semiauto pistols of various types (PT-92/99)? I've never owned any Taurus product but I've known people who own their revolvers and the PT-92/99 series and they seem to be very happy with them.
Most commonly I saw Glock clones fail to fire, fail to feed, fail to eject. Their 24/7 pistol was notorious for firing when you shake it, though I only saw that on video. I had a new security guard company send a group of 5 students to me for state certification with new Taurus S&W k-frame revolver clones that they bought cheap and every one of them had frequent failures to fire. We ended up loaning them S&W revolvers so they could complete the course and the company dumped them to buy Glocks. My thought was, if you arm your security officers with Taurus, you don't think very highly of them.

When I was shooting CAS I shot with guys shooting SAA clones that had repeated failures to fire. I have a close friend whose Gaucho never worked right out of the box. But other guys shot them without trouble and loved them.

Those are a few specifics, there are more.

In fairness I have no experience with their specialty guns like the .44 magnum or Judge, and have heard from folks who have them and like them.

Back