testtest

After all these years , something of grandfathers

Sld1959

Hellcat
I never knew him he died when i was 1 yo, the last of all my grandparents. But i Guess my Dads dad did not leave too much I have one picture of him and my grandmother and nothing else, until today...

Over sorting thru some stuff of my dad's and I found a homemade knife. Hmmm something that touches a cord in me, I have made knives for 50 years, this piqued my interest. In the dim recesses of my brain I remember this knife up at the cabin we used when I was young. I asked my mother and turns out my grandfather made it. Now as shabby and I'll done as it is, it will have top place in my collection.

Ill done? Yeah it's rough carbon steel, can see file marks and waves there it was cut out. The handle is clear plastic roughly riveted into place with copper tubing. There are gaps where bacteria collects, along with petrified food stuff.

clean it up, fix it up like i do some i find in markets, or people bring to me to salvage, hardly. Its perfect, the greatest knife ever made by my grandfather.. funny, must be pollen blowing in here.

20240422_113749.jpg
20240422_113816.jpg

Last edited:
I never knew him he died when i was 1 yo, the last of all my grandparents. But i Guess my Dads dad did not leave too much I have one picture of him and my grandmother and nothing else, until today...

Over sorting thru some stuff of my dad's and I found a homemade knife. Hmmm something that touches a cord in me, I have made knives for 50 years, this piqued my interest. In the dim recesses of my brain I remember this knife up at the cabin we used when I was young. I asked my mother and turns out my grandfather made it. Now as shabby and I'll done as it is, it will have top place in my collection.

Ill done? Yeah it's rough carbon steel, can see file marks and waves there it was cut out. The handle is clear plastic roughly riveted into place with copper tubing. There are gaps where bacteria collects, along with petrified food stuff. But, its perfect, the greatest knife ever made by my grandfather.. funny, must be pollen blowing in here.

View attachment 56385View attachment 56386
very nice. function over beauty.
a fine memento of your grandfather.

fyi... side note, your title has a typo, must be the pollen ;)

Dad's dad was a machinist for a railroad, typically working 6 days a week. By the time I met him, he was pretty deaf from the job. He made some knives that were useful in the kitchen. I wish I had a picture of one, but they may be lost to history.
My Mom's dad was a farmer, college professor and collage president. He was learning Latin when in his 70's.
Different paths and lives, but each had things to share as I'm sure yours all did.

Dad's dad was a machinist for a railroad, typically working 6 days a week. By the time I met him, he was pretty deaf from the job. He made some knives that were useful in the kitchen. I wish I had a picture of one, but they may be lost to history.
My Mom's dad was a farmer, college professor and collage president. He was learning Latin when in his 70's.
Different paths and lives, but each had things to share as I'm sure yours all did.
Great memories you have :) My dad and mother told me some of thier stories, never had the chance to hear them first hand. I do know my dad's dad laid barbed wire between trenches in WWI, and was wounded twice and gassed once. Tough SOB for 5 foot five, they made men back then, not wimps like me lol.

While my grandparents left me some nice firearms, a dear friend who was a knife maker as a hobby made me some skinning and kitchen knives.

He passed of brain cancer. Terminal. he got to where he could barely speak anymore, he took his own life about 10 yrs ago.

He made these for me over the years.
Get used by me regularly.

The bottom pic with the white handle is Walrus Penile bone. Legal to purchase from native American Alaskans.
He made it as a joke for me as I’d always have an “appendage😉” in my hand 🤣🤣
IMG_0419.jpeg
IMG_0422.jpeg
IMG_0418.jpeg

While my grandparents left me some nice firearms, a dear friend who was a knife maker as a hobby made me some skinning and kitchen knives.

He passed of brain cancer. Terminal. he got to where he could barely speak anymore, he took his own life about 10 yrs ago.

He made these for me over the years.
Get used by me regularly.

The bottom pic with the white handle is Walrus Penile bone. Legal to purchase from native American Alaskans.
He made it as a joke for me as I’d always have an “appendage😉” in my hand 🤣🤣View attachment 56388View attachment 56389View attachment 56387
Excellant work, cherished keepsakes.

That is wonderful. I have nothing of my Paternal Grandfathers but I do have my Maternal Grandfathers pipe holder which I played with as a kid. I also have my Great Grandfathers hewing hatchet and draw knife. He was a carpenter, built barns and died in the late 1920's I did rehandle the hatchet.

Pile Side and Pipeholder.JPG
Drawknife.JPG
Hewing Hatchet.JPG
Re-Handled 1.JPG

Re-Handled 2.JPG

Back