testtest

All Quite on the western Front Netflix

xdman

Self appointed Chief Armorer
Staff member
Short: damn good movie with some fantastic cinematography. The music adds putting you in the despair. I never watched the original version, but the opening clothes plot line puts things into a perspective that I never thought of. I wont spoil it if you have not seen it. It is a German production, but just like Netflix’s Dark (also German and a good show as well) The dubing and cadence you forget you are watching a foreign flick.

The original with Ernest Borgnine from 1979 was a great movie as well.
Will have to watch the new release .

Then maybe some Das Boot
Killer, I believe the original is actually the circa 1930 one. B&W, and maybe no sound (🤔).
But the 1979 with Borgnine and Richard Thomas (john boy walton?) is also a classic to me.
Has the distinction of being one of the few films we (US? British?) were allowed to film behind the iron curtain. Czechoslovakia if I’m not mistaken.

One aside I’ve meant to ask here before: Look closely at the Germans’ rifles in the early scenes (attacking, etc). I am strongly wondering if those are actually surplus Arisakas. The Japanese sent a lot of them to Czechoslovakia in/around WW1. Britain bought a number of them as well but they never used them in France.

I’ll watch the new version, but the 1979 effort will be hard to beat (be sure to get the original version; it was later cut and left out a couple more or less important scenes, if accuracy to the book is important to you).

Started it last night because of this thread. Got through about a half hour of it. One of those movies I'm glad is on Netflix 'cause I can watch it at 1.5X speed.

Very interesting. The semi-creepy music is cool, too. Yes, first part reminded me of 1917. Will try to finish it today.

Back