testtest

Alternative to brass casings

Texas you're missing the point it's a rimmed cartridge 38/357 it headspaces off the rim, the rim stops at the mouth of the chamber with both. IT will shoot fine in a desert eagle I've done it multiple times. The gun is set up to headspace off the rim regardless.
40/10 absolutely headspace of the case mouth there is no rim to headspace off of. The rim is the same diameter as the case wall there is nothing to headspace off of there.
All that is holding the shorter cartridge is the extractor.
Take a 40 caliber shell drop it in the 10mm chamber close the slide, can the extractor grab it and pull it out of the chamber?
I'll be surprised if it can.

I apologize to the OP for steering this thread off of the original premise. After doing some more research on the subject, I learned one thing...the primary problem with firing .40 in a 10mm chamber is wear and tear on your firearm. The .40 is held against the breech by the extractor when chambering a .40 in a 10mm. This leaves a gap between the bullet and the rifling (aka head space, which I have been aware of). That gap fills with significantly more fouling when firing a .40 in a 10mm chamber, and that fouling, if not cleaned completely, can cause the 10mm not to chamber properly after significant build-up. The extractor can also fail prematurely from holding the case against the breech during firing, which it was not designed to do. I could find no instances of this, but it is logical.

I have read a number of suppositions about overpressure situations from the bullet entering the rifling "cock-eyed", but could not find instances of specific examples of catastrophic failure causing injury. Those may very well exist, but I could not find any.

I also read of many folks claiming they fire 10's of thousands of rounds of .40 in a 10mm without a problem.

I have no real horse in this race, and don't care much what you choose to do or believe. I will admit I was not aware of the fouling issue that causes most of my concern going forward. Breaking an extractor is a cheap fix, but not being able to chamber a 10mm round in a 10mm chamber because of massive fouling build-up is an issue (to me). And frankly I'd rather not have a gun fail due to an improper decision I made about choosing a cartridge to save $.25...

If my 10mm were a defense tool, I'd be far more concerned, but mine is a range toy as mentioned.

Now, how about those plastic cartridge cases?

I got some for my Desert Tech MDRX hoping that it would provide accurate performance for hogs and self defense with a lighter carry weight. The light weight is noticeable as the magazines are 1/3 lighter than brass. However, the plastic cases fail to eject about 25% of the time. One case got so jammed that I had to disassemble the rifle and and pry it out of the ejector port with pliers. To be fair, the MDRX is a forward eject rifle so an AR pattern with side eject is not as convoluted in dumping casings. The MDRX puts a dent about 1/3 of the way into the mouth of the brass casing as the the ejection arm pushes the case into the ejection channel. While TV touts greater accuracy, I did not see much grouping difference between it and the cheap reloads I use for plinking in my inexperienced hands.

Once fired, the cases do not melt but they are very flexible. If the ejection hardware touches anything besides the stainless base rim, case deformation could cause a jam. Based on my experience, I can see why they may have lost the NGSW military contract to Sig. You do have to give them credit for trying to come up with a new idea after 175 years since the first brass case.

Good thread. Good to understand the difference between rim and rimless, what holds the casing in place when it goes bang. Why .38 is ok in a .357 but .40, while it may appear to fit, is not ok in a 10 mm. The ejector was never designed to hold the casing when fired.

I have a Ruger SR40 now and was thing about one of the XDM Elite 10mm handguns since I too had heard it was ok to shoot .40s in a 10 mm. If I do buy one, no .40s for it!

You don't have to spend that kind of money on ammo. The place I go to is Ammo Seek. They are the Google for ammo. I have used them many times and have never been scammed. Of course, there is always a first time but my experience has been good. But if it happens, that is why God invented credit cards. As of this writing, you can get a box of TV for $42-45 plus shipping. I pick up all of my practice ammo there.

I got some for my Desert Tech MDRX hoping that it would provide accurate performance for hogs and self defense with a lighter carry weight. The light weight is noticeable as the magazines are 1/3 lighter than brass. However, the plastic cases fail to eject about 25% of the time. One case got so jammed that I had to disassemble the rifle and and pry it out of the ejector port with pliers. To be fair, the MDRX is a forward eject rifle so an AR pattern with side eject is not as convoluted in dumping casings. The MDRX puts a dent about 1/3 of the way into the mouth of the brass casing as the the ejection arm pushes the case into the ejection channel. While TV touts greater accuracy, I did not see much grouping difference between it and the cheap reloads I use for plinking in my inexperienced hands.

Once fired, the cases do not melt but they are very flexible. If the ejection hardware touches anything besides the stainless base rim, case deformation could cause a jam. Based on my experience, I can see why they may have lost the NGSW military contract to Sig. You do have to give them credit for trying to come up with a new idea after 175 years since the first brass case.
You don't have to spend that kind of money on ammo. The place I go to is Ammo Seek. They are the Google for ammo. I have used them many times and have never been scammed. Of course, there is always a first time but my experience has been good. But if it happens, that is why God invented credit cards. As of this writing, you can get a box of TV for $42-45 plus shipping. I pick up all of my practice ammo there.

So it's still more expensive using Ammo Seek and you didn't have very good success in your Desert Tech. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot in my old bolt action first before trying my Saint Victor AR-10 but I don't see TV being my go to ammo anytime soon.

Look up why headspacing is important.

Then look up how your pistol headspaces.

You’ll hopefully learn why it’s a very, very bad idea.

And the gun shop mavens are rarely a good source of solid information; I’ve heard more regurgitated, completely wrong crap come out of the mouths of “gun shop guys” than probably anywhere else.

As I’ve said elsewhere—it’s your face and hands, man…up to you if you think they’re important.
Agreed. Bad idea.

So it's still more expensive using Ammo Seek and you didn't have very good success in your Desert Tech. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot in my old bolt action first before trying my Saint Victor AR-10 but I don't see TV being my go to ammo anytime soon.
Bear, help me out here in understanding what you are saying. How is $45/ box plus shipping more expensive that $70/ box plus shipping from TV or Bass Pro? Is my calculator broken?

Bear, help me out here in understanding what you are saying. How is $45/ box plus shipping more expensive that $70/ box plus shipping from TV or Bass Pro? Is my calculator broken?
@BobT, your calculator is just fine, lol, $45 is not more than $70. What I meant was $45/box is still a higher price compared to what I can buy .308 for locally. I get my .308 150 gr for way less than $45/box. I always keep an eye out for local sales.

In a new sale email I received today one of my LGS has Winchester 7.62 149 gr on sale now thru Dec 4 for $19.95/box with a 20% Winchester rebate making the final cost $15.96/box. Though I haven't shot it before in my SA Victor AR-10, next time I'm there I'll probably pick up a few boxes first for testing in the AR-10. And if the rifle likes it, I'll head back and buy more.

I buy my hunting rounds for my old bolt action when on sale also, I think the last batch I bought was around $32/box. I like the cheaper cost ammo for days when my family, friends and I are just having a little fun and shooting 300-400 rounds. They all enjoy shooting my AR-10 over the AR-15s, and they really enjoy the big bang it makes. I am always standing right there with each and every one teaching and instructing them while keeping things safe.

Forgeting all of the above, occasionally I do grab a "strange to me" box of ammo regardless of the price in all my calibers just for a little test to see differences. If I see a box of TV one day I may pick it up or order a box online just for testing it out at the range to see how it works in my rifles. TV is just not my goto ammo right now.

I can't take credit for this second hijacking.

I just bought 500 rounds of .308 for $380 includes shipping, online. Best I see locally is $22/box of 20, and that's on sale occasionally during specials, cheap range ammo. Normal .308 price here $25-35/box of 20. Not even close.

Anyone have any experience with Blazer 9mm - 124 gr TMJ Cleanfire Aluminum Casing ammo? I've never shot aluminum ammo before and have read both pros & cons. Your comments will be appreciated.
I’ve run the snot out of it (aluminum cased ammo, that is…I’m sure I’ve shot that particular load, but I couldn’t say when & where); before I started reloading, it was what I ran the most.

In short: good ammo. No drawbacks, besides you can’t reload it.

Back