testtest

An Emissary Goes on a Caribou Hunt

Cool story and a great hunt. But standard .45 ACP would not be my choice for an Alaskan backcountry pistol (and I spent 12 seasons working there).....maybe if it was configured for running .45 Super.

(....and before someone posts that "Truth About Guns" article that supposedly demonstrates that any caliber works, yes, I've already read it numerous times)

Cool story and a great hunt. But standard .45 ACP would not be my choice for an Alaskan backcountry pistol (and I spent 12 seasons working there).....maybe if it was configured for running .45 Super.

(....and before someone posts that "Truth About Guns" article that supposedly demonstrates that any caliber works, yes, I've already read it numerous times)
Fun story. But i agree .45 acp is not adequate in my opinion, nothing less than. 44 magnum would be in my chest holster in the Alaska bush. And yes, that includes no 10mms.

Penetration is the key when dealing with G-Bears as well as black bears. Also, being able to put effective shot placement into a key area is also key.

Some maybe able to shoot a 10mm semi-auto better and faster than a big-bore revolver especially if those revolvers are in the 44 mag & up calibers. I can get more 10mm 220/200 gr rounds off more effectively than I can with my 44 mags, especially with Buffalo Bore/Underwood heavy HC loads.

Subjective test (Note: a real bear won't be standing still for you).

Also, having more rounds available can be pertinent. 15/16 rds. of 10mm vs. 5/6 rds of 44 mag or larger might be key since you'll likely not be able to get off a couple rds and/or reload while dealing with a griz's bad breath.

That being said hard cast heavy loads in a 10mm will provide the penetration needed to penetrate the skull/cpu area as per the Buffalo Bore article.

But as always it's anyone's choice/preferences and what you can shoot better.

My .02

BTW - I agree that I wouldn't really on a 45 acp in griz country.

Last edited:
Like you say it's all personal choice. Our experiences determine our choices

Worked weekends with my cousin at his meat processing plant for about 5 years during hunting season. I have seen the results of practically every caliber on both deer and black bear and like everyone says, any handgun is a poor substitute for a rifle or shotgun.

But, of the common used handguns for hunting 357 magnum and 10 mm are the lowest on the totem pole for breaking bone and good penetration On a heavily muscled animal. And, generally there are not all that many hits on a moving bear, 3 I believe was the tops I ever counted. And two of them were less than optimal. Of course none were shot by Jerry Mickulek, just your average hunting Joe's.

Neither 357 nor 10mm would be my first choice in bear country, and i am a real big .357 magnum fan and yes its what i carry hunting simply because of arthritis, it would not be my first choice. Thankfully i did my bear huntibg when younger with my .44 magnum.

Just my experience.

There are two types of penetration when it comes to bears (griz). Through the heavy muscled areas or into the skull.

With the proper loads ("hard" cast) both the .357 & 10mm can fit the bill, with proper shot placement, into the skull which is the best place to shoot. The same applies to 41/44mags & above.

If you only shoot into the heavy muscled area you're at risk of getting chewed on/tore up/killed with any of the semi-auto/revolver handgun cartridges while the bear, operating on adrenaline, bleeds out.

Last edited:
Cool adventure and that kid has some chops.
Reading the article has a certain vibe to it. Almost Peterman-esque…J.Peterman that is.

Ohhh, I'm exhausted. I've been on this hunt a thousand times. It's never looked so strange. The faces...so cold. In the distance, a wolf is crying. Fatherless...a bastard canid, perhaps. My back aches...my heart aches...but my pistol (stops to look at her pistol)...my pistol is resilient! (a big smile grows in her face, as she thinks...) Thank God I ditched my 5” Ronin 10mm, and put on my... Springfield Armory Emissary! Available in 45 acp and 9mm, blued/stainless. Prices starting at $1378.

There are two types of penetration when it comes to bears (griz). Through the heavy muscled areas or into the skull.

With the proper loads ("hard" cast) both the .357 & 10mm can fit the bill, with proper shot placement, into the skull which is the best place to shoot. The same applies to 41/44mags & above.

If you only shoot into the heavy muscled area you're at risk of getting chewed on/tore up/killed with any of the semi-auto/revolver handgun cartridges while the bear, operating on adrenaline, bleeds out.

Having been charged by a bear, that was just trying to get away and picked the wrong path I can honestly say, It sounds really cool you are going to take only a head shot. It's faster than you can imagine. One more shot from the 30/30 ended the conversation, but it's insanely fast and very very easy to miss that incredibly small fast moving head, especially with any kind of brush.

I will take a .44 magnum minimum. But you do whatever you are comfortable with.

Last edited:

Really not trying to argue or disagree with you, your reasoning is sound. Just having been in the situation and having basically done autopsies on bears I personally want somthing bigger, and in a revolver over a pistol, it's simply what my experience has led me to.m when it's something fast, toothy and just might take a piece of me if I make one mistake. With the 44 I have a chance of breaking a shoulder and taking it off the feet if the head is not a viable option for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Spent three years living and hunting in Alaska. I am impressed by anyone that would solo hunt there, especially a young lady. If that chauvinistic, well ...I'm an old guy. One thing I must say the 45 ACP, although very much my favorite, is absolutely the wrong thing to carry for back up in the Alaskan bush. Anything smaller than 10mm you might as well throw at a bear. This was the first thing told to me by my hunting partners when I arrived there, because I bruohgt one of my 1911s on our first hunt as my back up.

Back