testtest

An insiders perspective on ABI fallout

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
Heres an industry report I get on the state of the union.
Budweiser is having some serious issues short term.
This is how corp America fails.
You have to appeal to a broad base to succeed. Whether its beer, firearms or clothes.
Bud screwed up big time. You win by spending marketing dollars equally across the spectrum. Fine to have LgBTQ, but have other genres with that like sports, racing, hiking, outdoors, hispanic, multicultural.
Bud does a lot of that already, but they went too far into one group and did not spread equally.

Reminder to keep comments clean. No need for name calling or comments against fellow citizens

May 1, 2023​
Bud Light Demand Continues to Deteriorate​
Dear Client:
The shocking deterioration of Bud Light Blue’s market share continued apace through the third week of April — and actually somehow worsened. We’ve never seen such a dramatic shift in national share in such a short period of time.
As we close out April, the controversy has fully entered the meme stage of social media discourse — meaning it has become a permanent record in the zeitgeist — and the situation has completely spiraled out of the control of the brand owner. A-B is scrambling to get a handle on it. More on that below.
VOLUMES. Bud Light’s off-premise volumes slipped to down 26.1% in the week ending April 22, according to NIQ all-channel scan data provided by Bump Williams Consulting. The week before Bud Light was down 21.1%. Year-to-date the brand is down 8%.
By comparison, Coors Light was up 13.3% and Miller Lite up 13.6% in that third week of the month. The domestic premium share swap between BL and CL/ML is nearly one-for-one: BL lost 8.3 points while CL gained 4.1 and ML gained 3.7 for a total of 7.8 points of the segment.
Now let’s run back the above two paragraphs with dollars.
DOLLARS. Bud Light’s off-premise dollars slipped to down 21.4% in the week ending April 22. The week before Bud Light revenues were down 17%. Year-to-date the brand is down 3%. By comparison, Coors Light revs were up 20.5% and Miller Lite up 21% in that third week of the month. Again, the dollar share swap within the segment between BL and CL/ML is nearly one-for-one.

NEGATIVE HALO EFFECT. The damage is not limited to Bud Light. “Could this finally be that negative halo effect bleeding over?”, asks Bump Williams in a note. “Busch Light still up double-digit on the YTD as a whole so still leading the segment in the bigger picture, but troubling signs developing over the latest week.”
A snapshot of the allied A-B brands:
Bud red volumes down 5.2% year-to-date, down 13.1% in the week ending 04/22
Busch Light volumes up 5.3% year-to-date, down 7.5% in the week ending 04/22.
Natty Light volumes down 1.8% year-to-date, down 6.5% in the week ending 04/22.
A snapshot of competing brands:
Pabst Blue Ribbon volumes up 2.8% year-to-date, up 20.2% in the week ending 04/22.
Miller High Life volumes down 2.1% year-to-date, up 2.4% in the week ending 04/22.
Keystone Light volumes down 1.1% year-to-date, up 8.1% in the week ending 04/22.
EVEN MICH ULTRA? And perhaps most concerning for A-B, their growth machine Mich Ultra has hit a wall. Mich Ultra volumes up 4.4% year-to-date, down 8% in the week ending 04/22. We can’t imagine this dramatic shift in trend was motivated by anything other than the Mulvaney backlash.
DISTRIBUTORS SHELL-SHOCKED, ANGRY. The handful of A-B distributors we’ve talked to were “disappointed” and “dismayed” and “pissed” (their words) at both A-B’s response in their closed door meeting in Washington last week and their response in general. “No apology … just asking us for more spend,” said one. Brendan’s press release and the Bud Clydesdales ad failed to turn the narrative — in some cases inflamed it — and their few forays into social media have been cruelly ratio’d.
Over the weekend, A-B released a Bud Light ad during the NFL Draft. It is by all accounts a great ad, and as of Sunday afternoon had accumulated 9 million views on Youtube, just 2 million shy of its Super Bowl ad. But it only had 195 likes, and the comments were disabled by A-B. (Comments also disabled on BL’sInstagram account).
DAMAGE CONTROL. Behind the scenes, BBD has heard from several sources that A-B has engaged its PR and lobbying partners to manage the crisis. Fox Business reports A-B hired “former Republican Senate staffers [Origin Advocacy] to woo lawmakers as it seeks to repair Bud Light’s image among conservatives”. Meanwhile, the Human Rights Campaign is now calling on A-B in a letter to publicly reaffirm its support for the transgender community, reported The Hill.
There are smatterings of reports coming in of BL discounting accompanied by increases in in-market co-op spending; and A-B had previously assured distributors they were going to increase marketing spend this spring and summer, likely now to accelerated levels. (Keep in mind that A-B has had its foot firmly on the marketing spend brakes since Covid -- until this year, for which brass has promised some mega investments, like a 60% increase on megabrand media.)
MULVANEY RESPONDS. After three weeks of staying under the radar, the influencer at the heart of the controversy seems bemused at the extent of the vitriolic nature of the response in a 3.5 min video posted on instagram and tiktok, which has 335k likes on IG and 2m likes on tiktok, the latter garnering 9.3 million views in two days. “I’ve been offline for a few weeks and a lot has been said about me, some of which is so far from my truth that I was like hearing my name and I didn’t even know who they were talking about sometimes,” she said. She did not mention Bud Light or A-B by name, and she limited comments on the post.
BOTTOM LINE. “The vast majority of AB Distributor Leadership and employees have worked hard their entire career to build this brand to the #1 Selling Beer in America,” writes Bump Williams in a note to clients. “NOW is the time to STEP UP and make things happen, to be part of the new BUD LIGHT relaunch and rebuild effort.”
“I see this as a very clear and massive opportunity for every single employee at ABI to become a salesperson today; and be part of the biggest Rebuild, Relaunch and to Reinvent the Bud Light franchise with specific, measurable, accountable and aligned goals. This problem is NOT going away no matter how much you hope it will. This is BAD for the entire Beer industry, not just Bud Light and the ABI portfolio.”
A-B will have an opportunity to outline a plan of action next week as it meets with its distributors in St. Louis.

I don't drink but if i did and consumed their beer it would end, i would not buy anymore regardless of what they say. when they seen they really screwed up and was going down the drain then they apologized.

They truthfully have no need to apologize to anyone, it's their company and they went the way of the woke and got burnt. if their sales hadn't went to pot they wouldn't be apologizing to anyone. It's the same with pro football, nascar and others, when they went woke i stopped watching or buying their products. when Campbell soup made that gay commercial with two men feeding a child i have never bought another one of their products.

But they have that right to do, i also have that right to not support them and they don't owe me an apology either. The people has spoken with the bud light stuff, they screwed up and now have to deal with it. i don't think they will go under, people will forget and eventually go back to them. but i don't think they owe anyone a i'm sorry deal. it's their company and their decision. it's up to the people to decide if they like it or not.

Yes, AB screwed up big time. I never drank buttwiper products, but if I did, I would have stopped. I quite watching football because of the political crap. I watched sports for enjoyment and relaxation. If I want to watch politics, I watch Hannity, Tucker, Gutfeld, etc. NOT sports. I don't care about your political views, if you are gay or straight, how you vote. Play the game. Do your job and ENTERTAIN ME, don't lecture me. You are not intelligent enough to do anything but sports, so you are not intelligent enough to lecture me on anything but sports. Period.

Yes, AB screwed up big time. I never drank buttwiper products, but if I did, I would have stopped. I quite watching football because of the political crap. I watched sports for enjoyment and relaxation. If I want to watch politics, I watch Hannity, Tucker, Gutfeld, etc. NOT sports. I don't care about your political views, if you are gay or straight, how you vote. Play the game. Do your job and ENTERTAIN ME, don't lecture me. You are not intelligent enough to do anything but sports, so you are not intelligent enough to lecture me on anything but sports. Period.
Well, I’m not a sports fan, but I will say a lot of athletes are very smart, well educated individuals. Lots attended some pretty good schools.
Yes they are there to entertain me I agree, but to say they are not smart is not entirely correct

Last edited:
Surprise surprise, AB is just figuring out that there aren't enough beer drinking transgender folks to offset the loss of support of folks that Transheuser-Busch seriously pissed off. Their errow has hurt the bottom line and the damage is done. Might be time to find the Clydesdales new owners or just put them out to pasture.

Weii I am in the minority. I consume AB products and will continue, even though I thought the ad campaign would have backlash. If athlete's want to be political so be it, my company is very political in the energy sector and I continue to stay on the payroll. During the financial crisis 08/09 GMC took bailout money, paid their management team, filed bankruptcy and then forgot their employees and their pensions. I will not purchase GMC products because that had a true negative impact on people and families. The Bud Light ad had zero impact on me or mankind.

I wasn't surprised that Bud products took a hit. They'll bounce back. People forget and will start drinking their product again. I was a Bud Light drinker back when i drank. I probably would have switched to Yeungling for a bit then would have gone back. Memories are short. I am sure they learned a lesson in there some where. I'm pretty tired of all activism stuff. I just want to be left alone to live my life with as few outside interruptions as possible.

Two Anheuser-Busch InBev executives who supervised Bud Light's marketing collaboration with transgender TikTok star Dylan Mulvaney have been put on leave, the company told the Wall Street Journal on Sunday.

Alissa Heinerscheid, vice president of marketing for Bud Light, and her boss, Daniel Blake, Budweiser's group vice president for marketing, faced criticism and even death threats earlier this month after sending the social media influencer commemorative Bud Light cans with her image to promote a sweepstakes contest for the company.

Now, both executives have taken leaves of absence, the company said in an email to the Journal.

"Given the circumstances, Alissa has decided to take a leave of absence which we support," an Anheuser-Busch spokesperson said in the email. "Daniel has also decided to take a leave of absence."

and may they stay on that leave too......

but i do hear McDonalds is hiring......

I grew up in AB country. Bud was great after a day in the hay fields and later in the service clubs. Throughout my time in service, AB said 'MERICA. Then they sold out to some dadgum European furriners. FWIW, I never liked Bud Light and think it tastes awful. A couple times some guys gave me a 12 pack. I was thrilled to discover a use for it. When poured over corn it is a great hog trap attractant.

I grew up in AB country. Bud was great after a day in the hay fields and later in the service clubs. Throughout my time in service, AB said 'MERICA. Then they sold out to some dadgum European furriners. FWIW, I never liked Bud Light and think it tastes awful. A couple times some guys gave me a 12 pack. I was thrilled to discover a use for it. When poured over corn it is a great hog trap attractant.
I stopped drinking AB products when they sold out to InBev. But I also did it because there are much better beers.

I stopped drinking AB products when they sold out to InBev. But I also did it because there are much better beers.
yes there are much better beers. the one thing i recall, was the "push" of some marketers to put some brands in some neighborhoods, for a much lower price.

Colt 45 (not the gun mind you) was once "the King of Beers" in poverty stricken areas.

and i found that information

The neighborhoods where people live can affect their drinking behavior. This is especially true in disadvantaged neighborhoods where liquor stores are over-concentrated,68 and alcohol is heavily promoted by commercial interests.911

where i live, there is a liquor store, that sells a variety of lower priced toilet water.

i never buy there

i go like 3 miles away, and buy better liquor and wines, and beers.

I never liked the taste of AB beers and haven’t had any in over 40 years, I preferred Heineken in my younger years and now drink Corona with lime.
A 6 pack will last a month in my fridge.
I've drank a lot of Heineken myself. The stuff in Amsterdam is totally different and better than the stuff we have here. Also, a slice of lime in a Heineken is real nice too.

When I Was in southern California I developed a taste for Corona. Also Moosehead.

I never liked the taste of AB beers and haven’t had any in over 40 years, I preferred Heineken in my younger years and now drink Corona with lime.
A 6 pack will last a month in my fridge.
I was never much of a beer drinker, still not a large beer drinker. A 6 pack be months in the fridge. But an Irish guy i worked with got me drinking Killian Red that is what I drink when I drink beer.

Last edited:
I know this guy who had a nice 4x4 Ford truck . He and a buddy would drive into Mo. and buy Coors and bring it back to IL . before it was available East of the " big river " . It is said that he made a fare amount of money by doing this once a week.
;)

I always liked the big horses but never liked the beer they represented.

Back