testtest

And yet another issue with my .308 - I'm getting beyond fed up

I don't think it's ammo, I had violently shredded primers in 3-6 different ammo brands. It wasn't just the primers popped out, they were shredded into pieces that I had to dig out of the barrel, the feed ramps, the mags, etc. And that's a repeat issue after a previous repair for the same problem.

Gas system is adjustable, although I never did adjust it. The casings getting stuck didn't seem like a cycling issue. they felt like they were vacuum stuck in there, like it was just too tight for them to move as freely as they needed to.

Firing pin showed zero sign of damage of wear. But I did notice REALLY deep strikes in some of those casings on this last time I took it out. I don't know man. I'm really just so salty about how many bad experiences i've had with this rifle inside of less than 300 rounds through it. I've just kind of lost all enthusiasm about it. It's no longer... Oh man I can't wait to take the .308 out, it's more like dread for another ruined trip to the range and more frustration. I think the Saint line for me is just a no go. I'm leaning towards selling it.

Last edited:
I don't think it's ammo, I had violently shredded primers in 3-6 different ammo brands. It wasn't just the primers popped out, they were shredded into pieces that I had to dig out of the barrel, the feed ramps, the mags, etc. And that's a repeat issue after a previous repair for the same problem.

Gas system is adjustable, although I never did adjust it. The casings getting stuck didn't seem like a cycling issue. they felt like they were vacuum stuck in there, like it was just too tight for them to move as freely as they needed to.

Firing pin showed zero sign of damage of wear. But I did notice REALLY deep strikes in some of those casings on this last time I took it out. I don't know man. I'm really just so salty about how many bad experiences i've had with this rifle inside of less than 300 rounds through it. I've just kind of lost all enthusiasm about it. It's no longer... Oh man I can't wait to take the .308 out, it's more like dread for another ruined trip to the range and more frustration. I think the Saint line for me is just a no go. I'm leaning towards selling it.
Make sure they (SA) check headspace with barrel installed and BCG in the receiver for optimal assurance. But then again "Will they"?

What could be a possibility is chamber dimensions being out of specs? To tight or short throat causing higher pressure.

I know that this can be an issue even for high-quality AR15s ("5.56" chambering), but since this is a .308 thread, I didn't want to step out-of-lane. 😅 But now that someone more knowledgeable than me has opened the field, I'll go ahead and ask......

@ddeuce22 , is there a way for you to verify chamber dimensions, not just headspace?

Independently verify headspace?

Independently verify firing pin length and protrusion from bolt-face? Are there known specs for these two, with the AR10 platform?

Last edited:
From past post it is factor loads of win white box, federal and some superX.
Yeah I saw that, but I could not see the head stamp on the case @ddeuce22 posted. It is possible wrong size primer was used from the manufacturer or a hot load or a number of other possibilities. IT does not get the case unstuck.

What about trying auto trans fluid in the barrel to see if it loosens the case? Would the ATF fluid damage the barrel more? It works miracles on seized bolts.

Can you hit the brass with a freeze spray to shrink it a little?
RayGun2.jpg

51dD6c25SBL._SY500_.jpg

MG Chemicals - 403A-285G 403A 134A Super Cold Spray​

Yeah I saw that, but I could not see the head stamp on the case @ddeuce22 posted. It is possible wrong size primer was used from the manufacturer or a hot load or a number of other possibilities. IT does not get the case unstuck.

What about trying auto trans fluid in the barrel to see if it loosens the case? Would the ATF fluid damage the barrel more? It works miracles on seized bolts.

Can you hit the brass with a freeze spray to shrink it a little?View attachment 19953

View attachment 19954

MG Chemicals - 403A-285G 403A 134A Super Cold Spray​

The odds of several different brands if ammo all having mis-sized primers is beyond astronomical.

It’s the rifle.

Yes, and I am referring to the picture of the primer and case he posted. Did you see it? Does this get his rifle unjammed?
That stuck case was from a few months back, I had to bring it to a gunsmith to have it removed before I could send it back to Springfield for the first time. This is now the 2nd warranty repair it has undergone and is on the way back from.

Believe me I wanted to believe it was the ammo or just me doing something wrong. But I just don't think the odds of 4 different reputable ammo manufacturers, across a few different ammo lines, having hot loads or bad/mis-sized primers is very high, as Hans has said. At this point I am firm in believing it was an issue with the rifle.

It has less than 260 rounds through it total and it has been returned for warranty repairs twice. Would have been 3 times, as the first issue I had with it, the pins in the hammer and trigger assembly walked into the lower receiver less than 60 rounds into me owning it. I chose to have a gunsmith repair and install some anti walk pins as opposed to returning it to Springfield on that one. But it's been issue after issue since I bought it.

Let's hope this resolves the issues. I appreciate everyone's input, comments, and inquiry/interest otherwise. It has been quite a roller coaster with this firearm, that is for sure.

Sorry that it's so frustrating for you OP. Sometimes defective guns just get released. There are so many different ammo brands/types/specs that it would be hard to test a big enough variety before the new gun heads to dealers. Having said that, you seem to have tried a LOT of different things and ammo brands. So it's a shame that your gun made it out to you as a consumer.

I have a CMMG Guard 9mm AR pistol that shot one mag without a single issue, but then gave me complete hell... as in jam-o-matic city... two rounds max without me having to do a malf drill. It ended-up going back to the manufacturer twice and the'd sent me ejector, extractor and buffer tube springs to replace in between those times. The last time I replaced all of those springs made it finally run right, and I was able to run 650rds through it with zero malfs on the next range trip, and have several hundred more since then, with zero issues. Their tech support was always awesome and I have nothing but the highest regard for them, and the gun and brand have redeemed themselves. But it's a shame that I had to do that in the first place, and I would be willing to accept that a "brand new" gun would be tested with 200-300rds of ammo from varying manufacturers and different specs... and then be released to be sold. Versus guns that had a test round or ten run through it, but that hadn't trupy been tested for reliability.

I've been fortunate with my 5 Springfield Saint AR pistols (including the Victor .308). I've had them all to the range multiple times and ran hundreds of rounds through each, and have yet to experience a single malf or issue... and that includes the Evac and PDW... which would be models that you'd think would be finicky due to their extremely short barrels. So I wanted to post this just so any readers doing web research on them (for possible purchase) will know that out of five Springfield AR pistols that I bought, all have been flawless. Same with my 2005 M1A Standard, all-corrext 1943 M1 Garand, as well as the two SA 1911s that I've owned. So I've had 9 SA firearms since 2005 without a single issue. absolutely zero issues... which is more than I can say for the various other brands that I've owned multiple examples of. But even of those, every single manufacturer made good on their product. With the

Sorry that it's so frustrating for you OP. Sometimes defective guns just get released. There are so many different ammo brands/types/specs that it would be hard to test a big enough variety before the new gun heads to dealers. Having said that, you seem to have tried a LOT of different things and ammo brands. So it's a shame that your gun made it out to you as a consumer.

I have a CMMG Guard 9mm AR pistol that shot one mag without a single issue, but then gave me complete hell... as in jam-o-matic city... two rounds max without me having to do a malf drill. It ended-up going back to the manufacturer twice and the'd sent me ejector, extractor and buffer tube springs to replace in between those times. The last time I replaced all of those springs made it finally run right, and I was able to run 650rds through it with zero malfs on the next range trip, and have several hundred more since then, with zero issues. Their tech support was always awesome and I have nothing but the highest regard for them, and the gun and brand have redeemed themselves. But it's a shame that I had to do that in the first place, and I would be willing to accept that a "brand new" gun would be tested with 200-300rds of ammo from varying manufacturers and different specs... and then be released to be sold. Versus guns that had a test round or ten run through it, but that hadn't trupy been tested for reliability.

I've been fortunate with my 5 Springfield Saint AR pistols (including the Victor .308). I've had them all to the range multiple times and ran hundreds of rounds through each, and have yet to experience a single malf or issue... and that includes the Evac and PDW... which would be models that you'd think would be finicky due to their extremely short barrels. So I wanted to post this just so any readers doing web research on them (for possible purchase) will know that out of five Springfield AR pistols that I bought, all have been flawless. Same with my 2005 M1A Standard, all-corrext 1943 M1 Garand, as well as the two SA 1911s that I've owned. So I've had 9 SA firearms since 2005 without a single issue. absolutely zero issues... which is more than I can say for the various other brands that I've owned multiple examples of. But even of those, every single manufacturer made good on their product. With the
I had a bad experience with a brand new Ruger Mini-14 once where I sent it back 3 times to Ruger for failure to eject and constant stove piping no matter what ammo brand was used. They finally replaced it with a rifle that has worked flawlessly no matter what I feed it and now it's one of my favorites to take to the range.

Sometimes it's just a bad combination of parts other times it's deeper then that like replacing the entire rifle.

That stuck case was from a few months back, I had to bring it to a gunsmith to have it removed before I could send it back to Springfield for the first time. This is now the 2nd warranty repair it has undergone and is on the way back from.

Believe me I wanted to believe it was the ammo or just me doing something wrong. But I just don't think the odds of 4 different reputable ammo manufacturers, across a few different ammo lines, having hot loads or bad/mis-sized primers is very high, as Hans has said. At this point I am firm in believing it was an issue with the rifle.

It has less than 260 rounds through it total and it has been returned for warranty repairs twice. Would have been 3 times, as the first issue I had with it, the pins in the hammer and trigger assembly walked into the lower receiver less than 60 rounds into me owning it. I chose to have a gunsmith repair and install some anti walk pins as opposed to returning it to Springfield on that one. But it's been issue after issue since I bought it.

Let's hope this resolves the issues. I appreciate everyone's input, comments, and inquiry/interest otherwise. It has been quite a roller coaster with this firearm, that is for sure.
Keep us posted on how it goes on your next range outing …

Just got back from the range. Had a wonderful day. Took the X5 Legion out for a spin, boy does that thing shoot nicely. Only to be outdone by my buddy's Staccato 2011 (son of a bitch). Goddamn that is a fine gun.

Shot the .308. Started right out of the gate with Winchester Super X 180gr. first mag, no issues. 2nd mag, had 2 feed issues, cleared very easily. Rest of the mag ok. loaded up some Federal FMJ 149gr. Dumped 20 rds in rapid succession, no issue. I am reticent to say it's 100% fixed based on those feed issues, but i'm wondering if the magazines might have had something to do with it this time around. Not sure.

All in all, I feel confident in it's ability to run but I received an offer from a local guy who works at a big box store looking to add it to his personal collection and gave me a very fair offer. I am on the fence about selling.
Might just sell it and put that towards a nicer rifle. I do like having a larger caliber than 5.56.

On a side note, 3 of us went today and we all loaded up a 40 rd mag each for our AR15's and dumped them in unison. RSO came up to our tac bay on the golf cart and asked who was shooting full auto. Thank god we video'd it, because he didnt believe we just all unloaded at the same time. He was cool about it, being you can rapid fire at this range as long as you are in a tac bay. Just thought it was kinda funny. If I can get my friend to send a copy of the video ill post it.

Pics of the guns we brought/shot today below.

PXL_20210828_143417260.jpg

PXL_20210828_143600133.jpg

Back