testtest

Another Dodge PU bits the dust.

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
I guess the Super glue, bailing twine and duck tape Dodge uses to assemble their pickups eventually catches up with the owners. :whistle::oops::oops:

1710977495232.png

Having grew up with slide in campers, I know this much, it's not good to have that much camper outside the bed hanging over the bumper. If he wanted a slide that big he should have had an 8' bed. Further more how did anyone see his brake, tail or signal lights? Is there lights on the back of the camper?

If that had been a gas engine truck it probably would’ve pulled the front wheels off the ground. You can tell by how the frame failed upward the truck was massively overloaded behind the rear axle. The only thing wrong with that truck was the nut behind the steering wheel.

There are typically lights on the back of those campers that extend off & lower than the back of a truck that plug in like trailer lights.

Hanging that fat-:unsure:tired bike on the end must have pushed that pickups frame off the edge.

I like the camper but as for the truck you get what happened when you think the weight load capacity on the sticker is legit.

Typically take ~1/2 off the sticker towing capacity & ~1/3 off the load capacity.

2005 Ram 1500 with the big Hemi and an actual truck bed, not a half a truck bed. 200,000 miles on it, I replaced the shocks about 5 years ago and I’ve hauled ridiculous amounts of weight on it. I regularly pull a 16’ trailer, usually loaded pretty heavy. I hauled an old Dodge Power Wagon back from KC on it.

2005 Ram 1500 with the big Hemi and an actual truck bed, not a half a truck bed. 200,000 miles on it, I replaced the shocks about 5 years ago and I’ve hauled ridiculous amounts of weight on it. I regularly pull a 16’ trailer, usually loaded pretty heavy. I hauled an old Dodge Power Wagon back from KC on it.
Dodge must have cheapened up on their frames since they built yours.

Dodge must have cheapened up on their frames since they built yours.
Or the guy didn’t buy enough truck for what he was trying to haul. Although it wouldn’t surprise me if they did. It’s a disposable world these days.

My dad don’t drive anymore with his dementia and he has a flawless 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 with 132k miles on it. Mom is wanting to sell it mostly because he gets mad at her every time he looks at it in the garage for not letting him drive. I have no idea what it’s worth but I’m thinking 10k range. I thought about keeping it myself. They don’t make trucks like they used to.

Having grew up with slide in campers, I know this much, it's not good to have that much camper outside the bed hanging over the bumper. If he wanted a slide that big he should have had an 8' bed. Further more how did anyone see his brake, tail or signal lights? Is there lights on the back of the camper?
Yes there are lights on the camper.

I guess the Super glue, bailing twine and duck tape Dodge uses to assemble their pickups eventually catches up with the owners. :whistle::oops::oops:

View attachment 54466
The main reason I didn’t go with a truck camper was I have a 6.8 foot bed in my F250 the camper is small enough but one made for a short bed is just to small.
As far as the truck frame many manufacturers have gone away from a full box frame except for Ford and that’s the result. Too much weight behind the rear axle.
Too much camper not enough truck.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in my thread;
“On the Road” I spent close to a year looking for the camper that I liked and my truck could safely tow and I can tell you that RV sales people just want to make a sale and will lie to you that your tow vehicle is capable of towing anything.
I had one salesman tell me my F250 was capable of towing a 40 foot toy hauler 5th wheel with a dry weight of 14,000 pounds, the camper had a payload of 2,400 pounds so if I even added just half of that I would have been over my truck’s towable max by 1,700 pounds.
Sure I could have pulled it but stopping it would have been impossible.
I just recently Cat Scaled my truck alone and then my truck and RV together and I am well below all max weight capacity categories for instance after weighing my truck and doing the math I had an available 2,400 pounds of available pin weight which is the amount of weight my truck could take on the 5th wheel hitch in the bed of my truck, after weighing both my truck and RV combined my pin weight came in at 1,700 pounds.
I am also between 600-900 pounds under all other max weight capacities.
I am currently on multiple RV forum groups that talk constantly about weight and weight distribution and the importance of staying at 80% or below max weight ratings.
The common comment is having enough truck.

The owner of that Dodge was most likely lied to by the camper dealership just to make the sale and the owner of the truck didn’t do enough homework to see if they were correct.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to hear what Dodge has to say...
if i recall, that's what they said..........in my posting......too much over hang and the motorbike, and the bumpy Baja roads......and too heavy in total weights.

the max payload was for single cab, not a quad cab, with a short bed...

he screwed up, not Dodge/Ram.

can't blame the truck maker....gotta blame the owner

Looking at the pic that camper appears to have been designed for that length of bed-which begs the question “What in the H-ll was he carrying in the back of that thing? Lead bars?
Doesn’t matter, if he is overweight as far as payload capacity then he is overweight plain and simple. He could have also been traveling with full tanks meaning fresh water, grey water and black water tanks full because he couldn’t find any places to dump them.
I have (4) tanks in my 5th wheel…..
80 gallon fresh water….
(2) 40 gallon grey water
(1) 40 gallon black water tank
That is a total of 200 hundred gallons if full, 1 gallon equals roughly 8.3 pounds
So that is 1,660 pounds.
Let’s just say I travel with tanks empty.

Back