testtest

Another Great One passes on.

The Monster of The Midway.
I miss old, unadulterated football. As a ‘60’s Chicago kid, well before the commercialization of franchises and apparel, if it wasn’t #40, we would scrawl ol‘ 51 on our navy blue sweatshirts with liquid white shoe polish. Call dibs on a number only lasted until the next game!

I salute him. Being a lifelong Packers fan it is difficult, but his play was hall-of-fame, and his contributions to TV and film cannot go unnoticed....
Well, the packers did have Ray "Give it to em, we're not done with em yet" Nitschke as their HOF Mlb. I'm a NY Giant fan myself, and once watching a game being announce by Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshire, the quote above was said by Brookshire recounting the time Philadelphia (he was a defensive back for them), and Green Bay were playing each other. Back in those days when he played, players sometimes played both offense and defense. Philly was going for a 3rd and one yard play and it was close to a first down. Brookshire who was on offense at the time was jumping up and down yelling "we got it, we got it". Then he hears Nitschke tell the Ref "Give it to em, we're not done with em yet", stopping Brookshire's jubilation cold, with Brookshire then recounting to Summerall that Nitschke was right as GB won the game handily. Those were the good old days of football. I remember my Dad telling me about Bronko Nagurski (offensive lineman/fullback for Chicago Bears who was born in Canada @belladonna ;) ), once given the ball at the goal line, running, hitting and knocking over the goalpost 😂. Man that would have been great to see.
But I was lucky enough to see Dick Butkus play and he was definetly one of the greats. I'm not old enough to say I saw Sam Huff (NYG Mlb HOFer) play, but I did see Jack Lambert Mlb HOFer of the Steelers play, as Pittsburgh was my 2nd favorite NFL team. He was another of the greats at that position.

The Monster of The Midway.
I miss old, unadulterated football. As a ‘60’s Chicago kid, well before the commercialization of franchises and apparel, if it wasn’t #40, we would scrawl ol‘ 51 on our navy blue sweatshirts with liquid white shoe polish. Call dibs on a number only lasted until the next game!

Yep, Oakland Raiders here. Those were the days of some of the baddest azzed players to ever hit the field. Perfectly civilized off the field, but downright evil on the field.

I grew up for my first 12 years in Benton, IL. There was a Men's Store on E Main (Van de Meer I believe) who was a longtime friend of Dick Butkus. As youngsters we would go in and look at the helmets, jerseys, photos and many other items. Remember it clearly today. Played so damn intimidating on the field yet by all accounts a kind soul off the field. RIP Mr. Butkus

Back