• Other

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcd

Professional
Founding Member
This was often a great debate between family members and co-workers. I finaly got the girls on droids. I could'nt take the "I am out of space" comments anymore. (They will only use the space on the phone, not the cloud) They both have said they are never going back. We are all comfortably on the Galaxy S10 Plus now. Space, ease of use, able to synch with computer easily, functionality, does everything we need. What do you prefer and why?

I prefer Android because I like the freedom to customize my phone. With Android you not are slave to proprietary accessories like Apple products.

By no means do I think Android is a perfect OS either. My current phone is a Galaxy Note9.

Android.

I got sick of all the forced Apple "updates", as well as all their proprietary 'can't turn 'em off' apps. And proprietary software. And proprietary hardware. And the price. Battery life measured in minutes was the final straw for me and my iPhone 7.

I was a Blackberry guy, till the company kinda fell apart. Wish they'd come back. But...I had to switch at that point, which coincided with my pro sound company going wireless for concerts. I can run an entire concert from an iPad...so I migrated to the Apple platform. Hated it from day 1, but for business....I kinda had to. But when the iPhone wouldn't even make it to lunch before the battery died...I ditched it for an LG V30.

Now, the latest version of my concert hardware will play nicely with Android devices. Once my iPads start having (more) battery issues, I'll ditch the $300 iPads for some $29.95 Android tablets with better resolution (the iPad view gives me seven channel faders, plus the master, on each screen; an Android's resolution lets me see up to all 32 channels, no scrolling, I just have to balance that with keeping things large enough to be able to work with them).

I hate to say it, but one thing I DID like on iPhone was the punctuation side of autocorrect. "Dont" was always changed to "don't". Not so much on the Android. I have yet to find that setting, and it doesn't seem to want to adapt.

My wife went through two iPhone 4's, and the duration of the battery charge was terrible. While she was fighting that fiasco, I on the other hand, was using a MotoRazr flip phone. I liked it, as it was light-weight, and small. I basically used it as intended........making and receiving phone calls, and taking an occasional smallish-sized pic. I ran that MotoRazr for 9 years. I still have it, and it still has the original battery in it. :)

We both finally gave up and went with Samsung Galaxy phones, getting the S6 Active. Still using mine, and my wife has moved on to the Galaxy 9. We currently see no need to upgrade any time soon.

Apple, never had any luck with android devices, before I switched to Apple, I used a Windows cell phone, worked great before it was discontinued, also iPad here.

Apple here, mostly as it syncs my data seamlessly across tablet/phone/desktop/laptop. As a software developer, the Mac gave me the ability to develop for Mac/Windows/Linux/Android/iOS all on one laptop. As an app developer, I have both Android and Apple mobile devices (phones and tablets) for testing. Android is much more of a pain to develop for than iOS, due to the huge number of screen sizes, device vendors and running versions of Android out there in the field.

I will say this, and this is not a knock against Android as much as the various Android app stores. Apple spends sometimes DAYS making me wait for a security analysis of apps and updates, and requires me to provide them login credentials, instructions, sometimes video on how to use my app. Someone at Apple actually looks at the app and has to approve it for the App Store. With Google Play, I just upload the app, and it shows up pretty much right away. Other than a possible automated scan for viruses, there is no apparent analysis of the app, and no human intervention. I think this (the app stores and their lack of security) is why Android has apps get released to millions of users with malicious code in them. The Ring app for Android was the most recent public example of this - it got linked with 3rd party Android libraries that incorporated malicious code, and was in the field on millions of phones, dialing home and sending personal data to unknown 3rd parties.

1 reason for the android is my Samsung is tougher than Apple or did I get the right 1? I was farming a while back and was greasing the plow when I left my phone(Samsung) on it. The next day I went back for it after the rain and dirt storm and functioned perfectly! My son knocked his Apple phone off his chair seat and onto the carpet and it broke, as in not just the screen!

I had a iPhone 6, worked fine, upgrade it to the Xr this year, yes, the Xr is all glass, but you need to get a good case and screen protector for it. My iPhone 6, only reason I upgraded was the battery went bad, plus no more updates were going to be available for it. My sister in law swears by her Galaxy. There are pros and cons for both, I guess just get what makes you happy.

Apple for me all the way. Starting with the iPhone 4S and iPad mini (for kindle app reading), to iPhone X and iPad Pro w/12" screen. Yes, a protective case is needed, as I've dropped each several times with no damage whatsoever. All are still working and I used the iPhone 4S for 6 years until the battery hardly held a charge, I now use it as an iPod like system through my trucks sound system. A disclaimer, I bought the phone mainly for emergency situations such as vehicle breakdowns etc, so I didn't really use it a lot for talk/texting & such. I had a lot of Apps on it that I hardly ever used (GPS apps, etc.) For those that like to fix things, check out iFixit (not related to Apple Corp. in any way), they have parts for several different manufactured phones, laptops etc. I bough a new Apple iPhone 4S battery for 1/2 the price that Apple sells it for. The battery came with a small tool kit/tray (you can buy the battery separately), and the website has "how to" videos to show each repair procedure. I get their e-Mail newsletter they send out occasionally, and they describe how these companies (including Apple), are making it more and more difficult for self repair (i.e. special adhesives that require greater care to remove and things of that nature). Luckily with the 4S, the repair was pretty straight forward, and after completed, it's like a new fully functioning iPhone like when I first got it.

1580842015150.jpeg

Next iPhone case..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back