testtest

Are 1911 Handguns Still Popular?

Praise for the 1911, I used this weapon during my entire special operations career(22 years) and I can tell you it was an exceptional handgun. Many folks now disregard this gun for more high capacity type weapons which resulted in gun manufacturers making this platform in 9MM and now the 30 Super(not a Fan) perhaps to promote the 1911 platform further to compete with all the Tupperware guns. The 1911 in 45 is perhaps the best offensive handgun out there. What I mean by that his when you are hunting bad guys in an assault the threat mode I’m not concerned with round count because I’m not there to repel an assault. I’m there to provide the assault in a direct action condition. The 1911 with all it’s attributes and the right ammo definitely provides the grim reaper affect. It was a rare occasion that I would use a different handgun. However, sometimes mission parameters required a change. I used Wilson combat 10 round magazines which gave me 11 rounds out of the gate. If I can’t get the job done with that I have no business being on a tactical team. Of course as with any caliber bullet placement is paramount to dispatching the bad guys. We used Federal HST 230 grain plus P ammo which resulted in many fatalities. I also attended the the autopsy’s which proved just how devastating that round is. That round coming from a 5 inch barrel 1911 is no joke. Is there a reason to have more capacity in some cases sure and it would depend on what your mission is. To be quite honest ,I never really worried about the round count issue because we never had to worry about going to a second magazine because the bad guy was DRT(dead right there). Again I stress that bullet placement is paramount. Now as of this writing I have learned that most of the tier one special ops teams are using the Glock 19, 19X and retiring the 1911 45. Perhaps mission requirements render this option to be better for them I don’t know. To be clear, I have nothing against the 9MM in fact when off duty I carried a CZ 75, Glock 34 and Beretta 92FS with two extra magazines. They were loaded with Federal HST 147 grain ammo. In this role it makes sense to opt to the 9MM because I have less resources available to me when off duty. So what do I carry now as EDC. A Sig P320 X10 with 14 round magazines. Given the environment our country is in now and active shooter incidents on the rise along with violent crime I want to stack all the odds in my favor. This gun provides is good round count and one hell of a powerful round properly placed I think you get the picture. The bottom line, I will never dismiss the 1911 in 45 as it definitely has it’s place without question. TRAIN,BE SMART, THINK TACTICS

I'm not a big fan of clickbait headlines like this. While there are many shooters who consider the 1911 to be outdated, or who would argue that modern polymer-framed semi-autos are superior firearms, I have yet to meet any experienced shooter who believes that the 1911 is no longer "popular". The article is actually informative and well-written, but I fail to see the need for the headline. An article that truly answered the question, "Are 1911 Handguns Still Popular", would be one of the shortest articles in history. It would simply say, "Yes. Annual sales figures along with the number of 1911 handguns still in use prove that the 1911 is still popular."

Good link on is the 1911 handgun still popular. I think it’s more popular now then ever

I don’t purchase anything on its popularity level, when it comes to firearms I buy what fits my hands and shooting style. If I like it it’s a keeper if not it goes away with no regrets.
When I started buying firearms I had no interest in hammer fired handguns and honestly had no idea of the 1911’s iconic history.
I’ve purchased (2) 1911 Springfield handguns and currently own just (1) and it is definitely a keeper as it is a fine shooting gun and learning more about the history of the 1911 platform is a big plus. Good article, absolutely great gun.

Good link on is the 1911 handgun still popular. I think it’s more popular now then ever

well, i'll put 14 of mine to the few polymers in 9MM that i have as them being "popular" with me.

Very popular in my shooting world. Everyone I shoot with owns/shoots at least 1 and the majority of them still purchase 1911's.

Bit of a silly title, anyone who has been in a gun store, or read a gun rag knows there are possibly more companies making more 1911 derivatives than any other time in history, possibly being key because I have not done a lot of research on the topic.

That said I like the 1911, it's my favorite pistol design. I like it so much I keep pondering selling off the p365xl and buying an EMP. not because the p365xl has anything wrong, it is a darn near perfect do it all pistol in my opinion. It shoots better than I can make it run. The reason, it's not a 1911. And I find it hard to justify the EMP to myself as long as I have such a good alternative.

And honestly I thought I was out of the 1911 game when I sold my others, all. 45s because of arthritis. Then I fell under the spell of the Browning .380.

20210530_124513.jpg

And now the EMP keeps preying on my mind.

I only shot my first 1911 about a month ago.

It is Form Fitting Function; it's beautiful, even elegant

A mechanically-impaired person like me has been able to field strip, clean, lubricate and reassemble a 9mm Garrison and .22lr ATI GSG (even got the slide lock levers back in without making The Scratch :cool: (thank you, Vortex Venom screwdriver (y)))

Oh, there are all kinds of marvelous handguns in various calibers, with all kinds of capacities: Glocks, Sigs, Rugers, CZ, Beretta, etc - many people enjoy and shoot them well

A well-maintained Government-size 1911 racks like silk, fits the hand (I'm a Big Girl, 6'2", so I like Big Guns), and has a crisp single-action trigger. I'm not in law enforcement, the military, or a competitive shooter; I'm just a 1958 Baby :cool: who enjoys shooting and wants to become much better - 8-10 rounds is enough for me

A mechanically-impaired person like me has been able to field strip, clean, lubricate and reassemble a 9mm Garrison and .22lr ATI GSG (even got the slide lock levers back in without making The Scratch :cool: (thank you, Vortex Venom screwdriver (y)))

Oh, there are all kinds of marvelous handguns in various calibers, with all kinds of capacities: Glocks, Sigs, Rugers, CZ, Beretta, etc - many people enjoy and shoot them well

A well-maintained Government-size 1911 racks like silk, fits the hand (I'm a Big Girl, 6'2", so I like Big Guns), and has a crisp single-action trigger. I'm not in law enforcement, the military, or a competitive shooter; I'm just a 1958 Baby :cool: who enjoys shooting and wants to become much better - 8-10 rounds is enough for me
What’s a Glock?

YATTWOOD, good for you ,keep training and learning find what works for you and if the 1911 fills the void train hard have fun and become harmonious with your weapon

Every gun collection needs a 1911.

It was the first pistol I ever shot. And I agree, other pistols in smaller calibers would probably be better to start shooting with, its not like you can't start with a 1911 and still learn to shoot.

While it be wrong to say a 1911 is unreliable, a lot of advancements with newer pistols will make them more reliable. As well, since the 1911, like the AR-15 is well past its patents and its design is now considered public domain, that plus it popularity is why just about every manufacturer makes their own 1911 and AR-15. So you've got some cheap 1911's out there that are probably less reliable.

If you've only ever field stripped modern pistols, you're in for a surprise field stripping the 1911.

Back