testtest

Are 1911 Handguns Still Popular?

And exactly what is this Glock perspiration? Don’t they make deodorant/anti perspirant for that?
E1AA2E63-3B08-49EA-A9CA-3A3983A5D11D.gif

Ah, the 1911 slide lock lever….

When I got my 9mm Springfield Garrison, I’d read enough forums and watched YouTube videos to realize that I should field strip, clean and lubricate it prior to the first range session

I put my laptop next to my work area and followed a YouTube video - was feeling pretty pleased with my mechanically-impaired self until I got to The Slide Lock Lever. I could not get the thing back in, and I’d read about The Scratch. Fortunately, my FFL/LGS is 2 miles from my house, and my good friend there got it back in for me (he told me not to feel too badly and said I did a pretty good job for someone that had never field stripped a 1911) Took it to the range - it (and me) needed more work

The second time, I was determined to do it myself - I saw the detent, and I used the small end of a Vortex Venom screwdriver to hold it while pushing the slide lock lever in - success! Perhaps not the best technique, but it works for me

The second time, I was determined to do it myself - I saw the detent, and I used the small end of a Vortex Venom screwdriver to hold it while pushing the slide lock lever in - success! Perhaps not the best technique, but it works for me
I've resorted to basically the same thing before when dealing with a really stiff plunger spring that is preventing easy re-entry of the slide stop (but with a thin plastic shim, so there's no chance of scratching anything). It works and it's better than trying to muscle it in.

I have encountered a number of students who have trouble with this.
To disassemble the Glock easily, after safely releasing the trigger, put the muzzle crown down on a cushioned flat surface and push. It will move the slide back a fraction taking pressure off the spring. Push down on one side of the takedown lever and while holding the lever down lift the muzzle and the spring pressure will hold the lever in this cockeyed position. Now continuing to hold the lever down, use your thumb to push down the other side of the latch and the slide will pop off. No tools required. Trade Glock in on a 1911
There is another thread about a rookie cop accidentally shooting someone (assumabley his buddy) while cleaning his personal weapon. He shot himself in through the hand and then the round went into his buddy.

My first thought was he didn't double check if a round was chambered and he didn't keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction as he went to field strip it.

My second thought was, I bet it was glock he was trying to field strip and clean.....

Ah, the 1911 slide lock lever….

When I got my 9mm Springfield Garrison, I’d read enough forums and watched YouTube videos to realize that I should field strip, clean and lubricate it prior to the first range session

I put my laptop next to my work area and followed a YouTube video - was feeling pretty pleased with my mechanically-impaired self until I got to The Slide Lock Lever. I could not get the thing back in, and I’d read about The Scratch. Fortunately, my FFL/LGS is 2 miles from my house, and my good friend there got it back in for me (he told me not to feel too badly and said I did a pretty good job for someone that had never field stripped a 1911) Took it to the range - it (and me) needed more work

Check out idiotscratch.com for a clever device to help prevent the idiot scratch.

Back