testtest

Are Single-Stack Pistols Extinct?

The subcompact is ... a bit "fat".
I have gone back and forth between my Ruger (thin) and my Beretta (thick). I think with certain clothes (e.g. dress clothes for the office), I wouldn't be able to carry the Beretta, because it would be too noticeable. Generally I wear jeans, so that's not an issue. But the thicker gun is harder to slip out of my pocket, should I need to draw my weapon. The thinness of the Ruger makes it extremely easy to draw the weapon.

Right now I'm liking the Beretta more because my belt reduces the effect of the increased weight of the Beretta; and I REALLY like a DA/SA gun. Of course, it has 14 rounds vs the 8 rounds of the Ruger.

I'm sure next month I'll be back to the Ruger.

My first Shield and my work carry gun is a PC Shield in .40. Love it.
I am going to like to 40 for sure. I have the 9mm as well. I had the Apex spring kit installed on the 9 when I purchased. They were out when I purchased the 40 so I put in a different kit. Went from a 6 pound trigger pull to a 2 pound. A little light for my taste, so I put the factory springs back in. Swapped out the white 3 dots on both for night sights (those front sights are tough). For grins, wrestled putting on 2 Hogue beaver tail grip sleeves becasue I got both of them for a total of $15. I probably should have used different colors to tell them apart. They are definitely identical twins.

Last edited:
While I expect that the 1911 alone could keep the single-stack handgun market alive for quite some time, the single stack seems to be the only real option for certain types of pocket carry. On many days, my professional wardrobe only allows for me to carry a pistol in the front or rear pocket of dress slacks. I just replaced my single stack Ruger LCP II pocket gun with the new stack-and-a-half Ruger LCP Max. The Max is barely larger an the LCP II, but holds 10+1 in the flush magazine as opposed to 6+1.

The stack-and-a-half option works for me because I am willing to carry a .380 ACP firearm. Carriers who have to dress like me on certain work days, but who do not feel comfortable carrying anything less than 9mm, only have single stack options to choose from. The Hellcat/P365/Shield Plus/etc. are great guns, but I have found them too large to discretely pocket-carry in modern dress slacks. The 9mm Springfield 911 and Sig Sauer P938 are just short and thin enough to discretely pocket carry.

This shouldn't be an issue, but the clothing industry has decided that men should wear skinny/slim fit pants. I miss the relaxed-fit 1990's khaki pants. I probably could've pocket carried a Beretta 92 in those things.

Handgun likes/dislikes are much like ladies for the men ............ they're all nice and will do quite well, but there's always that one in particular for each of us. And it works the same for the ladies BTW. But as long as there are men of various tastes and preferences, there will always be a need for single stack firearms, just as there will be for 1 1/2 stacks and double stacks.

And BTW, I truly like my little single stack PF9, both for concealed carry and for just shooting fun. It only holds 8 with one in the pipe, but if it turns out the gun fight ain't over before I get to #8, it probably ain't going to end well for me anyway. Who was it that once asked ...... "how many shots are you planning to miss with?" And if I'm expecting a real big shootout, I guess I can carry my 13 round, 1 1/2 stack Hellcat.

I guess I could go on a make a joke about how different men like different stacks in their ladies too, but my post isn't about jokes today. ;)(y)(y)(y)

Just a little something to ponder on y'all.

Buy a Thirty Dollar Gun Belt ( That's the brand name). It will cost you closer to $45, but I have been wearing mine on the daily for years and it's a great belt. And it doesn't look like a dress belt. In fact I should buy a dress/gun belt Which one do you have ?
I bought the following belt from Thirty Dollar Gun Belt:

The belt was $35, then with tax and shipping added, it came to $43.28. This is a reasonable price to pay for the high quality belt that they sent me. Very nice belt. Heavy-duty, thick, sturdy, nice-looking. Exactly the style I was looking for, but never could find in the store.

Great post. I had to read it - can't view the vid at work - but I have to agree.

I own both an XD-s Mod.1 (waffle grips) 3.3 9mm...and an FDE Hellcat. Shooting they are very similar, but the ergos are quite different. The Hellcat grip is more "square" - thicker, but not as long front to back, compared to the XD-s, which is long front to back (especially with the #2 - larger - backstrap), but thin side to side. I have no problem per se with either one, and I have excellent grip on either one...but they definitely feel different.

Same goes for carrying - I carry IWB, both in Alien Gear holsters. Even with a full mag and one in the chamber, the Hellcat is LIGHTER than the XD-s. At least, it feels like it to me. I can also wear it higher in the belt than the XD-s without it being "too tall", due to its slightly reduced overall length, which makes it a bit more comfortable for me at work (I sit all day..grr...). But with only a 0.2" difference in thickness...neither one prints, and either one can be worn all day regardless of attire, weather, or activity levels.

The more I shoot the Hellcat, the more I get used to the slightly shorter sight radius...last weekend I was plinking at some steel in the yard, and at 10 yards I put 11 rounds into a 2.5" group so I think I'm doing fine. And it'll keep getting better, the more rounds I'm able to put through it. I'm not nearly as quick with the 'cat just yet...but it'll come with practice.

The biggest difference I've found is...I can load the XD-s by hand, quickly and with no problems, but I have to use the Uplula to load the Hellcat. Damn those springs are tough.

End result is...I am keeping both!
I've found it more difficult to load as I've aged. Wasn't as much of an issue back in the day, but now I struggle and Thank the Powers that be, for Mag Loader tools. I haven't tried Uplula loader yet. I've been using Makershot's for my guns that didn't come with a loader.
I'll have to pick one up and give it a try. That toggle looks interesting.

I tired a few single stack pistols and, except the 1911 45, the flat and long shaped grips are weird to me, don't fit my hand.

The Hellcat is almost too thin for me, I added Hogue grips on it and now it's perfect.
Same with P365XL grip.
Sonic, I've the same big hand issue. I added a Hogue slip on on my P365. It helped a little.

I bought the following belt from Thirty Dollar Gun Belt:

The belt was $35, then with tax and shipping added, it came to $43.28. This is a reasonable price to pay for the high quality belt that they sent me. Very nice belt. Heavy-duty, thick, sturdy, nice-looking. Exactly the style I was looking for, but never could find in the store.
I have their steel core in black leather. It cost $50 and some change when I bought it a few years ago, but it has held up perfectly. And I am not nice to it. :ROFLMAO:

I have and carry only single stacks and have no plans for doubles; except I'll have to insert a disclaimer that I could make an impulse purchase at any time. :)

Even though I have little interest in doubles, the very worst excuse not to purchase one is that "Sam" may someday outlaw/confiscate more than ten rounders! It would be the very reason to compel me to purchase.

I have and carry only single stacks and have no plans for doubles; except I'll have to insert a disclaimer that I could make an impulse purchase at any time. :)

Even though I have little interest in doubles, the very worst excuse not to purchase one is that "Sam" may someday outlaw/confiscate more than ten rounders! It would be the very reason to compel me to purchase.
Am in that quandary also. Do not own one bit am feeling torn about buying one soon because they are working so hard to get rid of them.

I very seriously doubt there will be a successful attempt to ban them federally any time soon. Nevertheless, my penchant is single stack for compact carry guns and double stack for full size. Not that I don't blur those lines, but as a general rule.

I love single stacks for the slimness for concealment and for the fact they fit my hand very well. For summer concealment I can go with a 4" barrel 1911 RO Elite Compact, S&W Shield, or XDs Mod.2 OSP. They all feel great in my hand and all shoot extremely well. The only drawback is obviously capacity. In the cooler months when I wear more layers I can, and do, easily conceal a XD-9 which gives me 33rds with one extra mag. I have a hellcat RDP but I'm still trying to like it because the grip is so damn tiny for my large hands, although it does shoot extremely well.

Me having rather small man-hands I really like the feel of my Hellcat. The only semi-gun I've ever held that felt any better is my PF9. It's a single stack and 50% less rounds than my Hellcat, but it really feels right in my hand. Now this is in center fire stuff ......

I also really like the feel of my SR-22 for something a little less potent. I don't carry it for PD, although I am pretty stoked on some of the results I've seen on those 'Federal Punch' lr's.

Edit: I like it best with the 'pinky' extension on the 11 rnd mag.

Last edited:
I love single stacks for the slimness for concealment and for the fact they fit my hand very well. For summer concealment I can go with a 4" barrel 1911 RO Elite Compact, S&W Shield, or XDs Mod.2 OSP. They all feel great in my hand and all shoot extremely well. The only drawback is obviously capacity. In the cooler months when I wear more layers I can, and do, easily conceal a XD-9 which gives me 33rds with one extra mag. I have a hellcat RDP but I'm still trying to like it because the grip is so damn tiny for my large hands, although it does shoot extremely well.
Get yourself an Ammo Armor protective sleeve for your spare magazine, and start carrying it in your pocket. That will give you an extra load of ammo for your single stack gun.

Back