testtest

Are Single-Stack Pistols Extinct?

Good post @Mike H. I agree with the article/video, that single stacks are not obsolete. As mentioned, there is a place for both depending on use, etc. I do see a trend toward both types (single & staggered stack), incorporating longer barrel/slides like the P365 XL, for a better sight picture, barrel length, while not hurting the concealment factor like a much fatter grip may. I'd be interested in a Hellcat XL version if one was ever introduced.

Great post. I had to read it - can't view the vid at work - but I have to agree.

I own both an XD-s Mod.1 (waffle grips) 3.3 9mm...and an FDE Hellcat. Shooting they are very similar, but the ergos are quite different. The Hellcat grip is more "square" - thicker, but not as long front to back, compared to the XD-s, which is long front to back (especially with the #2 - larger - backstrap), but thin side to side. I have no problem per se with either one, and I have excellent grip on either one...but they definitely feel different.

Same goes for carrying - I carry IWB, both in Alien Gear holsters. Even with a full mag and one in the chamber, the Hellcat is LIGHTER than the XD-s. At least, it feels like it to me. I can also wear it higher in the belt than the XD-s without it being "too tall", due to its slightly reduced overall length, which makes it a bit more comfortable for me at work (I sit all day..grr...). But with only a 0.2" difference in thickness...neither one prints, and either one can be worn all day regardless of attire, weather, or activity levels.

The more I shoot the Hellcat, the more I get used to the slightly shorter sight radius...last weekend I was plinking at some steel in the yard, and at 10 yards I put 11 rounds into a 2.5" group so I think I'm doing fine. And it'll keep getting better, the more rounds I'm able to put through it. I'm not nearly as quick with the 'cat just yet...but it'll come with practice.

The biggest difference I've found is...I can load the XD-s by hand, quickly and with no problems, but I have to use the Uplula to load the Hellcat. Damn those springs are tough.

End result is...I am keeping both!

With the technology and design improvements Springfield and SIG created, Single Stacks may become a secondary option in the CC gun race, but extinction isn't likely. My CC weapon for 25+ years was a Walther PPK/S. The only reason it was retired, was due to my aging eyes. I could no longer make out the sights in Low Light Drills and conditions, and sight modification to that pistol wasn't a feasible option, so a change was necessary. I ended up with the SIG P365, as the SA Hellcat hadn't hit the market at that time. Do I appreciate the 12 + 1 (or 13 + 1 round in the Hellcat) round vs 7 + 1 round increase? Sure, but it wasn't the major deciding factor in my choice to upgrade.
A buddy of mine, who is a Springfield fan (he owns several), carrie's an XD-S, and I asked him if he was considering a switch to the Hellcat. His reply was why? He's perfectly happy with his Single Stack Springfield.
I just don't see Single Stacks going the way of the Dodo. They may lose some popularity and market share, but they'll never totally become obsolete.

Always good articles and food for thought! Something to consider is the fact that gun hating politicians are passing or trying to pass bills on high capacity magazines/pistols like in my once great State of Virginia. Not a bad idea to purchase a single stack in your favorite flavor that holds 10 rounds or less if you don’t already own one. I love my XDS in .40, would love a hellcat but figure it will eventually outlawed. 10 rounds seems to be the magic number that keeps all us law abiding gun owners safe from ourselves 🙄. The communist governors like “Coonman” (by his own college nickname) Ralph Northam continually pick away at us from any angle they can get. Thanks for the article and replies. Be safe and shoot straight.

With the technology and design improvements Springfield and SIG created, Single Stacks may become a secondary option in the CC gun race, but extinction isn't likely. My CC weapon for 25+ years was a Walther PPK/S. The only reason it was retired, was due to my aging eyes. I could no longer make out the sights in Low Light Drills and conditions, and sight modification to that pistol wasn't a feasible option, so a change was necessary. I ended up with the SIG P365, as the SA Hellcat hadn't hit the market at that time. Do I appreciate the 12 + 1 (or 13 + 1 round in the Hellcat) round vs 7 + 1 round increase? Sure, but it wasn't the major deciding factor in my choice to upgrade.
A buddy of mine, who is a Springfield fan (he owns several), carrie's an XD-S, and I asked him if he was considering a switch to the Hellcat. His reply was why? He's perfectly happy with his Single Stack Springfield.
I just don't see Single Stacks going the way of the Dodo. They may lose some popularity and market share, but they'll never totally become obsolete.
[/QUO

As a happy XD Mod.2 subcompact ECD, I do appreciate the 13+1 flush mag capacity. That said, I would like to try out the Hellcat and see if it is more comfortable/concealable than the XD - which does have a tendency to print unless I'm wearing the mumu t-shirts or baggy button downs. :cool:

Interesting article, make me think about what I have and how they are used. I don't own a Hellcat, but I do own a Mod2 subcompact with 16 and 13 round magazines. It is well suited for the bump in the night with the 16 round mag inserted, I feel better with the larger magazine in that scenario. I don't like to carry it, for me it is not very light, and does not fit my hand (small hand short fingers). My carry is the Ronin 9mm fits my hand well and feels lighter. Not sure what the loaded weight is , but it feels better. Each for its purpose.

Also agree with the video and with the comments here. They both have their place. The smaller staggered stacks are very difficult to load and the smaller guns don't feel as comfortable (in my hands anyway) as the single stacks do. As mentioned in the video, depending on the situation and how I am dressed will depend on what I take with me.

I'm going to go against the majority and say that for general purpose concealed carry for most body types, the Hellcat does make single stacks obsolete. However when the deepest possible concealment is required, or possibly for certain body and hand shapes, the single stack still has a place.

So, it's a moderated "yes" from me. I think both will still be around and have a place, but more and more the staggered or "stack and a half" style guns will start to dominate in most cases.

The Hellcat and P365 are great guns, but I do not believe they are groundbreaking enough to kill off an entire segment of the handgun market. I like the extra capacity of the Hellcat, but the XDS Mod.2 with the 8-round magazine fits my hand perfectly. The wider, flatter grip on the XDS is also easier for me to conceal with my body type. I live in a free state, but in states with strict magazine capacity limits the Hellcat and P365 lose some of their advantage. I always take these Highlander style, "There Can Be Only One", articles with a grain of salt. If the semi-auto didn't kill off the revolver, the stack-and-a-half won't kill the single-stack.

Back