testtest

Are you a fair tipper?

Problem is now EVERYONE expects a tip. Got a carpet professionally cleaned which I have done before. Its expensive but they do a good job and I plan on getting one more year out of it before replacing it.. When he was finished he told me that they had a new system that they had to use for payment and after he filled in his part he asked me to to sign it and then answer the questions and hands me the tablet. The first question was to rate the service, the second was select to 10%, 12%, 15%, 18%, 20% or other for tip. I rated him 9 out of 10 and selected other for tip 0%. I had a new sliding patio door delivered and installed it this weekend. Payed $115 delivery fee and the guy stuck his hand out so I shook his hand and sent him on his way. Restaurants I tip 18% - 20% as long as I get good service. I owned a restaurant so I know how they pay waiters and waiteresses, but if I get poor service my tip reflects it.

I tip almost everyone especially restaurants, the better the service the better tip they get. I always tip the barbers in the barbershop as well and service techs who come to my home for repairs. Just my two cents....

I always tip at restaurants, because workers usually depend on tips as part of their salary. My daughter worked at a well known restaurant chain while in college and I think she was paid $1.05 an hour, plus tips. I remember the night she came home in tears because a large family did not tip at all, so she had to pay the tip out of her pocket. I explained to her that some people are just plain cheap. I always tip, and tip extra for good service.
I do know at some places they will say on the menu that groups over a certain amount of people a gratuity (20%+) will be added to the bill regardless that way there is fairness when a waiter/waitress
Spends extra time dealing with a large group.

I do know at some places they will say on the menu that groups over a certain amount of people a gratuity (20%+) will be added to the bill regardless that way there is fairness when a waiter/waitress
Yeah, I do not remember the details. I think this was the policy later on.

Yes, there is no rules/regulations for this. Around here, at some places, if the party is 6 or more, it’s typically 15 to 18% gratuity added.
Here’s the key..
If I get a good server, who mentions…gratuity is already added.. I’ll still add a few bucks on top of that.
One, I appreciate good service, 2, I appreciate the heads up.

But I’ve made the mistake of not looking over a bill, with a large party, and tipping on top of the auto-added gratuity, no mention from the server. THAT…just chaps me.

Yes, there is no rules/regulations for this. Around here, at some places, if the party is 6 or more, it’s typically 15 to 18% gratuity added.
Here’s the key..
If I get a good server, who mentions…gratuity is already added.. I’ll still add a few bucks on top of that.
One, I appreciate good service, 2, I appreciate the heads up.

But I’ve made the mistake of not looking over a bill, with a large party, and tipping on top of the auto-added gratuity, no mention from the server. THAT…just chaps me.
One thing I always say is……
You do you.

Sit down restaurants and food delivery I always start at 20%, if you take good care of us and speed things along/take extra care of us when we’re out with my 5 year old it goes up significantly higher. My pizza deliveries ALWAYS come way faster than the allotted time they post because I tip the drivers well.
The standard 20% goes on whatever card I use and if they earned more I put cash on top of that.

I worked in the service industry as a waiter and bartender for years and always earned and appreciated good tippers and I don’t let minor things like slow service when they’re slammed affect my tip. Everyone can have a bad day but if you’re just bad at your job and taking care of guests the 20% drops and I’ve tipped as low as 5% and left a note telling the waiter they sucked.

Minimum 15% regardless. I've never really experienced service so bad I felt the need to not tip. Maybe I'm lucky.

did you see the report that the SELF check outs at groceries have a TIP window that pops up ???wtf HAL 9000
First let me say I loathe people who use self checkout. I will wait in line for an hour to purchase 1 item from a live cashier. Our Walmart no longer uses cashiers so I no longer shop at Walmart. Using self checkout just reinforces corporate head beliefs of why should we pay a cashier when the customer is stupid enough to do it for free. You are putting 100s of thousands out of work. You OGs will remember gas station attendants. Back in the day I was one. Pull in, they ask you how much gas you want and pump it for you, while its pumping they wash you windows and ask if you would like them to check your oil. Pay and drive away, all from the comfort of your car. Gas company's offered .02 - .03 cent discount to pump your own gas versus full service on a test. Large tanks were 18 - 24 gallons back then so a whole saving of .36 - .72 cents per tank, assuming you were on E. In a matter of a couple of years service stations eliminated 100's of thousands of jobs. WHY DOES IT MATTER? Sadly enough some folks do no have the skills to do much more than be a Walmart cashier, single parent, high school students after school jobs, that 2nd job to make ends meet or improve your standard of living, your spouses job when both work, the college student trying to make ends meet, the retiree needing a few extra bucks are all gone in a blink of an eye and the money saved from no longer employing cashiers DOES NOT reduce prices for the consumer it pays them big corporate bonuses and cashierless store become the norm. Customer service i becoming a thing of the past. People wonder why other people are so angry, I believe part of the reason is that everything is becoming so impersonal. YMMV

Reactions: dad
Capt Augustus McCrae didn't put up with dawdling service...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1684407699542.jpg
    FB_IMG_1684407699542.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 47
Do you leave a nice tip?
I'm usually a good tipper but have been known to leave a penny if the waittress/waiter was rude. Old age has mellowed me out, so I leave more than a penny if I get bad service, but will sometimes let the manager know about it.

Down here in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas I've gotten good customer service so I usually tip between 15-20%. There's a couple of Mexican restaurants in San Benito and Elsa that I've been known to frequently visit. Waitresses know I'm a good tipper so it's an enjoyable dining experience.

Back in my motorcycle touring days I enjoyed stopping to eat in cafes in small towns and usually tipped 20-30% and tried to represent bikers in a good light. I don't ever recall getting bad service in those small restaurants and the food was almost always good. Perhaps the fact that being able to sit down and relax a little and not dealing with the elements of weather put me in a good mood to eat and leave a good tip...:) I always rode alone on those trips and might have encountered a flirty waitress or 2...:)

My old fellow Marine buddy "Crazy Jimmy" and I might have taken a couple of Waffle House waitresses for a ride on our Harleys back in the day in McKinney, Texas(early 1990's). Aww the mammaries..:)

I'm not a self-checkout kind of person. Back when I lived in Little Rock(Arkansas) I would sometimes use the self-checkout in Kroger.

Down here in a small town in South Texas that I'm blessed to live in, going through the check line at HEB and getting good customer service is a nice treat for an old retired guy like me...:)

Minimum 15% regardless. I've never really experienced service so bad I felt the need to not tip. Maybe I'm lucky.
This.

But I've passed on tipping when there's horrible service, plus I don't tip if I'm just driving to a window to get handed a bag with my order.

My .02

Back