testtest

Are you flinching

I know this goes without saying, but good ear protection also reduces the tendency to flinch. When teaching my wife to shoot, she seemed more scared of the noise than actually firing the weapon.
Heck I still jump at times when some of the big stuff goes off. I guess it's been a couple months now since an RO at the club let me use his electronic ears.... mind you I have used the standard muffs for 60 or so years. Another member had a pair and we could hold a conversation. Immediately bought two pair. Now when I bring someone with me there is no more shouting and repeating.
When you have a new shooter with you I think the electronic ears provide a much improved margin of safety.

How does the wife handle the recoil? My granddaughter was shooting the 454, my loads! She put two rounds through it and shook her head. Ejected the cases and laid the Judge on the bench. I figured she'd had enough. Next thing I see her put 6 in and fire them off. Then did 6 more. Later she told me once you get used to the heavy gun it wasn't as bad for her as the SP-101 that she dearly loves with a mag in it. The 9mm SCCY tears me up.

Grifter, my wife was similar with the cases ejecting, afraid of getting hit in her face with them.
We had a gal few months ago at the range get a hot 22 case stuck to her forehead. She pulled it off
and lost some skin. Never would have thought that could be done. I've had some go down the T-shirt
but never got a burn like that. Lot to be said for a face shield I guess.

Heck I still jump at times when some of the big stuff goes off. I guess it's been a couple months now since an RO at the club let me use his electronic ears.... mind you I have used the standard muffs for 60 or so years. Another member had a pair and we could hold a conversation. Immediately bought two pair. Now when I bring someone with me there is no more shouting and repeating.
When you have a new shooter with you I think the electronic ears provide a much improved margin of safety.

How does the wife handle the recoil? My granddaughter was shooting the 454, my loads! She put two rounds through it and shook her head. Ejected the cases and laid the Judge on the bench. I figured she'd had enough. Next thing I see her put 6 in and fire them off. Then did 6 more. Later she told me once you get used to the heavy gun it wasn't as bad for her as the SP-101 that she dearly loves with a mag in it. The 9mm SCCY tears me up.
Impressive. I shot 20 from my Ruger Super Redhawk 454 with shooting gloves & was done for the day. The recoil was brutal.

My daughter and I shoot together quite a bit and flinching or "anticipating the shot" is something we work on regularly along with finger placement on the trigger. We've done the dummy round exercise with some success. Of late, we've started working on how to correct it immediately when it happens. For example, we might be half way through a magazine and starting to drop shots. We'll immediately shift our focus from aiming to feeling the trigger...pull to the wall, click (bang), release slowly until the trigger resets/click, pull to the wall, click (bang), etc. This forces us to slow down and regain a rhythm. The flinching stops.
I try to make adjustments for my bad shots also when I'm shooting paper. I will try to figure the cause and correct the problem. The only time I won't adjust is when I'm shooting a nice group and a round gets no where close (I label that a flyer), the only exception being if the next one goes there as well. :)

I almost never flinched with a 1911 because of the trigger design with a very short takeup and 4 lb. trigger. When I changed to polymer pistols things changed. It seemed that I was always searching for the pressure wall past all the takeup, continuing to pull through the stacking, and finally releasing the striker. It became quite frustrating as my family watched me flinch away and talk to myself during my range sessions.

I recently discovered that I merely needed to forget about all those things [turn my brain off] and just fire the weapon. My flinching disappeared and my flyers too.

When I was a firearms instructor at the police academy the basic advice to a new recruit was: "Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire". This included the spent brass on the slide after they thought they were getting good at it. Cheap practice and develops muscle memory.

I almost never flinched with a 1911 because of the trigger design with a very short takeup and 4 lb. trigger. When I changed to polymer pistols things changed. It seemed that I was always searching for the pressure wall past all the takeup, continuing to pull through the stacking, and finally releasing the striker. It became quite frustrating as my family watched me flinch away and talk to myself during my range sessions.

I recently discovered that I merely needed to forget about all those things [turn my brain off] and just fire the weapon. My flinching disappeared and my flyers too.
My SA 1911 RO and my Reworked Glock 23 are like that. I start going sour after firing a few mags. I need to slow down and take breaks. Yeah, like breaks are fun. I don't go to the range to take breaks but I still need to.

Hang around Ordinance and .50 cal machineguns. That flinching will go away. I don't how I do it. I've just practiced muscle memory and trigger discipline. I know exactly when my pistol will fire with every pull of the trigger. Yesh I still flinch, but it's not enough to effect my accuracy.

Trust in the firearm, believe in it's heart.

Hang around Ordinance and .50 cal machineguns. That flinching will go away. I don't how I do it. I've just practiced muscle memory and trigger discipline. I know exactly when my pistol will fire with every pull of the trigger. Yesh I still flinch, but it's not enough to effect my accuracy.

I try to do that surprise thing. Let the gun surprise you when it goes. Well, party pooper that I am, I know when it's going to happen and I react a nanosecond before.

I don't flinch at the firing of the weapon, but instead flinched trying to anticipate the exact moment of striker release with my new pistol.

I used to pull the trigger on 155mm howitzers in my younger days. Now that's recoil!

Last edited:
I'm guilty of flinching, more noticeable on the small subcompacts I own. I watched some videos from some of the ShotShows the past few years on a system that attaches to your pistol/rifle and blutooth communicates with their app on your phone. It monitors and collects data during actual shooting at the range and then shows you how you did. The system is called MantisX, and it seemed very interesting. I believe they also have versions that work with Dry Fire as well. Does anyone have this system? If yes, how do you like it? If positive reviews, I might purchase it myself, if it helps. Below is a link I found to their website.

I have the system and love it. I have tried it on my SIRT pistol and it only works part time.

Leatham has a great video on YouTube where he discusses learning to manipulate the trigger without disturbing the sights. The interesting thing about it was he disagreed with the training about hitting the wall and slowly pushing past it. His thoughts were that nobody in any situation would ever manipulate the trigger in that manner, that they would fire as fast as possible, therefore training yourself to slowly push past the wall was pretty much worthless.

He stresses more about being able to manipulate the trigger as fast as possible without disturbing the sights. I watched the video the first time and didn't quiet understand what he meant. Upon watching it the 2nd time everything clicked. I immediately switched my dry fire practice from slowly pushing past the wall, to a fast manipulation while keeping the sights aligned and movement free. The next time I hit the range I noticed a huge improvement on longer shots and target transitions.

He did stress that everyone has different ways of learning, but it absolutely worked for me.
Wow, this makes total sense. I wish I would have watched this earlier.

Mine is the original from a couple of years ago. I have used it in a couple of training classes with students to help them see how their shots calculate on there. I have been thinkiong of getting a newer one to see if it is more accurate on the SIRT.

I still catch myself flinch from time to time. I was sent this little thing, and I'm in love with it.

Nice review. I saw the MantisX rep talking to the guys at GunTalk at last year‘s Shot Show about their new model X10. Showed much what you just showed. I’m wondering if they’ll be announcing anything new at this years show.
BTW: I noticed the cannon behind you on the desk and assume it’s the same one you posted firing. Very nice:) (don’t see the holster though, probably fell on the floor:unsure:).

You know what? This is pretty freaking brilliant... I've been an instructor for close to 15 years, and I never really thought about this aspect of it.

I know this goes without saying, but good ear protection also reduces the tendency to flinch. When teaching my wife to shoot, she seemed more scared of the noise than actually firing the weapon.

Back