testtest

ATF "AR Pistol Spec Changes"?

Cyco

Alpha
Received this message from Springfield yesterday, about the the Edge PDW gun I ordered in Oct. 2020

"Good morning,
Unfortunately, the ATF changed the restrictions with regard to the classification of an AR in pistol form. The PDW and the EVAC, as produced, are no longer legal and would fall under the NFA classification of an SBR. We are currently redesigning some of our products to meet the new requirements but so far only one model of Saint pistol is being produced. The details of which can be viewed here.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/...ols/saint-victor-556-ar-15-pistol-magpul-btr/

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Lexi

Springfield Armory®
420 West Main Street
Geneseo, IL 61254"

WTF?

Unfortunately, the ATF changed the restrictions with regard to the classification of an AR in pistol form.

Not surprised. BUT, actuaqlly ATF has only "proposed" their new interpretation & and are still evaluating public comments.

BUT, SA is trying to get ahead of the inevitable decision.

So what will be the options for people who own the original models of the PDW and the EVAC?
May have to SBR them. It hasn’t been determined, but they tossed out SBRing with and without having to pay the $200 tax stamp, removing the braces, etc. The ATF asked for an extension to review all comments & will probably make a decision late 1st Qt. 2022 (along with the 80% lower/firearm definition proposal)

In case there members new to the quirks of the NFA, just know that once your pistol officially becomes a SBR it will be a SBR forever in the eyes of ATF. It will legally be a Class 3 item and governed by NFA rules.
And I hear a pain if you want to take it across State lines. I’m not an expert on NFA type regs, but it sure seems restrictive.

I’ve learned to work with govt red tape and get the necessary permits to enjoy NFA items.
It’s good that you can do that Killer, and I’ve largely been the same way about a lot of govt BS. There is that old somewhat humorous saying ‘you can’t fight city hall’ … but city hall is about things pertaining to everyone, and has town halls and other forums for discussion that are generally within reach…
Maybe I’ve got it wrong but the first sentence of the OP’s reply from Spgfld - as written - was disturbing :
"Good morning,
Unfortunately, the ATF changed the restrictions with regard to the classification…”
So they just change stuff, huh? 🤔

Well, I suppose it might’ve been a couple yrs ago and long since debated & settled. Maybe it’ll get changed back (?)…

It’s good that you can do that Killer, and I’ve largely been the same way about a lot of govt BS. There is that old somewhat humorous saying ‘you can’t fight city hall’ … but city hall is about things pertaining to everyone, and has town halls and other forums for discussion that are generally within reach…
Maybe I’ve got it wrong but the first sentence of the OP’s reply from Spgfld - as written - was disturbing :
"Good morning,
Unfortunately, the ATF changed the restrictions with regard to the classification…”

Well, I suppose it might’ve been a couple yrs ago and long since debated & settled. Maybe it’ll get changed back (?)…
The subject was a massive gray area in regardless to regulations. You know the Govt will rule on the matter. Govt always does . That is the reality of the situation.
Firearms
Pipelines - gasoline
Medical care
Etc etc

I can sit and shrug or just file the permit.
I choose to just file the permits

"Good morning,

Only if the Supremes want to revisit UsvMiller, which set precedent establishing the NFA as Constitutional.

And they are loathe to challenge precedent, particularly on a tfats stood for nearly a cebtury.

I was under the impression congress needs to implement law, and the ATF does not have the authority to make law, just enforce it.

Also, I'm sorry Killer, but it's that thought process that got us here. They keep chipping away little by little, then we all sit here and ask "how did we get here?",. This is how!!! It's an "infringement" on our rights, plain and simple.
(criminals don't care if its a pistol, auto, SBR, so you can make as many rules as you want, just hurts law abiding citizens only!)

I was under the impression congress needs to implement law, and the ATF does not have the authority to make law, just enforce it.

Also, I'm sorry Killer, but it's that thought process that got us here. They keep chipping away little by little, then we all sit here and ask "how did we get here?",. This is how!!! It's an "infringement" on our rights, plain and simple.
(criminals don't care if its a pistol, auto, SBR, so you can make as many rules as you want, just hurts law abiding citizens only!)
That shipped sailed long ago

We could debate back and forth till we’re blue in the face.
IRS - taxes isnt an ammendent on the Govt books either, but yet we all pay taxes.

The govt and the people will ebb and flow as it has for centuries.

Vote for change.

Dealing with the NFA is akin to taking a trip down the rabbit hole. The maze of rules and regs are never ending and any clarification you receive needs to be in writing and signed by someone. What is told to you today may be different from what you're told tomorrow, and not all the personnel see things the same way. It's like being in a boxing match where the ref is paid by your opponent. I can not stress enough to all that are not familiar with the NFA regs learn the ins and outs before making a Class 3 purchase.

Back