testtest

ATF Requests Funding for Pistol Brace Amnesty Registration Program

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) is planning to force gun owners to register firearms with pistol braces as a National Firearms Act (NFA) ATF Form 1 item.

ATF Requests Funding for Pistol Brace Amnesty Registration Program

1662759482608.png

Well how many of you guys with braces on your pistols are up for taking a bunch of photos and registering your pistols with the ATF ? If I had a brace on mine I'd just take it off and disappear it.
Also, why register anything with a brace on it when you can just SBR it with a much better stock, or go back to the old-style tube.

Also, why register anything with a brace on it when you can just SBR it with a much better stock, or go back to the old-style tube.
I think they want pictures because you won't be eligible for the amnesty and free pass on the $200 if it isn't a braced pistol. Personally I do not care for braces and don't have one on my pistol so my plan is to simply ignore the feds. I sure hope for all my pals' sakes though that someone challenges this BS AFT over reach and puts an end to this nonsense.

I think they want pictures because you won't be eligible for the amnesty and free pass on the $200 if it isn't a braced pistol. Personally I do not care for braces and don't have one on my pistol so my plan is to simply ignore the feds. I sure hope for all my pals' sakes though that someone challenges this BS AFT over reach and puts an end to this nonsense.
I don't think they're offering a free pass on the $200 even though the article says sources told them.

I think the amnesty is just saying we want your $$ and we won't blame you for having a braced item the last few years even though we told you they were OK.

When it finally comes out I think they'll still charge $200 for a Form 1 like the folks had to when the MG amnesty happened back in the 60's.

Last edited:
I don't think they're offering a free pass on the $200.

The amnesty is just saying we want your $$ and we won't blame you for having a braced item the last few years even though we told you they were OK.

And they still charged the folks $200 when the MG amnesty happened back in the 60's.
I'm hearing they will waive the $200 for those eligible for the as yet undetermined length amnesty program.

We'll see. I got out of the brace-business once the elections results happened since I knew what was coming.

I'd still go the better stock route if I was going the Form 1 route vs a brace.

We'll see. I got out of the brace-business once the elections results happened since I knew what was coming.

I'd still go the better stock route if I was going the Form 1 route vs a brace.
Me too. I am personally diametrically and vehemently opposed to registering and paying the feds extra for anything. I have no suppressors, no SBRs, no NFA.

Folks need to be aware that once you go NFA with a short-barreled shotgun or SBR is you have to have the receiver engraved (to ATF specs) with the unique registration number that the ATF Tax Stamp as on it. Just the regular serial number on the receiver won't be accepted, nor just possessing the tax stamp, because the tax stamp number must be unique to the firearm being registered. It appears the unique number might include part of the existing serial number as per the ATFs discretion.

You can't just use a pencil/micro engraver to engrave the ATF number.

So that's another hoop to jump through.

Last edited:
Ok, In today's society. I believe nothing I read and half of what I see.Ive been hearing about this brace subject for some time now. Could someone with a bunch more G2 than me.Please explain to me what people like me who have AR-pistols can expect in the future, and what if anything can be done.Whats the best route to take? If I buy an AR rifle. Are they coming after that next. I just want some honest opinions. Not a bunch of" from my cold dead hands" talk. I know we have a lot of people out there who know where this is going & how we should handle it

Ok, In today's society. I believe nothing I read and half of what I see.Ive been hearing about this brace subject for some time now. Could someone with a bunch more G2 than me.Please explain to me what people like me who have AR-pistols can expect in the future, and what if anything can be done.Whats the best route to take? If I buy an AR rifle. Are they coming after that next. I just want some honest opinions. Not a bunch of" from my cold dead hands" talk. I know we have a lot of people out there who know where this is going & how we should handle it
No one really knows. I consider myself somewhat good at guessing though. I think AR 15s aren't going anywhere and I think the brace rule will take effect, but end up being overturned. How long that takes is anyone's guess. My personal opinion, disappear the braces on your pistols and put the foam thing on the buffer and shoot it laying against your cheek. I have always preferred this over being all scrunched up with a brace. Or do like Hans and SBR it and put whatever you want on it. I'll pass on that.

No one really knows. I consider myself somewhat good at guessing though. I think AR 15s aren't going anywhere and I think the brace rule will take effect, but end up being overturned. How long that takes is anyone's guess. My personal opinion, disappear the braces on your pistols and put the foam thing on the buffer and shoot it laying against your cheek. I have always preferred this over being all scrunched up with a brace. Or do like Hans and SBR it and put whatever you want on it. I'll pass on that.
Thanks for the input !

When AR pistols first crawled out of the primordial ooze they looked like this.

1662772120680.png

Then a company had an idea and designed what was called a "brace", and wrote a letter to the BATFE asking them if this brace would be OK for shooters to use on AR pistols in order to stabilize the AR pistol better like this.

1662772284910.png

BATFE said it was an OK accessory to use like that as well as the shooter having the weapon closer to the head for sighting purposes as long as the braced AR pistol met a certain max length, maintained 3-points of contact and the rear part of the brace didn't make contact with the shoulder but the cheek was OK. That was OK thru two POTUS terms, and other manufacturers ran with the concept coming out with several designs for AR pistols and other firearms.

Then some thought having the brace on the cheek allowed the rear end of the stock to accidentally touch the shoulder, and then started functioning as a stock. Different interpretation flew all over the place.

The current regime was elected and decided to make the BATFE change their long-standing position on braces resulting in the forthcoming rule requiring registration.

So that leaves an owner some options.

#1 - Keep the brace configuration and abide by the forthcoming BATFE registration & get a tax stamp and engrave the firearm with a unique registration number. Still undetermined if there will be a $200 tax stamp charge. It appears the firearm will have to remain in a braced configuration since the BATFE wants a picture of it.

#2 - If possible, remove the brace from the offending firearm and shoot it like Pic #1. Toss the brace as far as possible.

#3 - Covert the firearm to a full-fledged SBR (short-barreled rifle) by registering it with BATFE, and paying for a $200 tax stamp, and engrave the firearm with a unique registration number. The conversion would allow for a "real" buttstock to be attached to the SBR.

That appears to sum things up.

Last edited:
I’ll try to be brief with my understanding and opinion.

Talyon, you are right with your history of the AR pistol, except the newest opinion from the ATF is it is ok to incidentally or occasionally shoulder the brace.

No one really knows what’s going to happen in the future. At one point, there was to be a points system to determine whether you had a pistol or rifle. A brace was ok in this system, but accrued certain points depending on the brace. There were also other things that accrued points such as the weight of the firearm, certain accessories accrued points and so on. If you reached a certain threshold of points, you had an SBR and not a pistol. This is the system that was put up for comments.

With this new thing that just came out with the brace amnesty, it seems to me that braces are basically done away with. If it’s braced, it’s an SBR and must be registered. If there is no brace, it’s a pistol. I’m sure there’s more to it than that, but that’s the crux. From what I’ve heard and read, as BassBob said, many people believe that the picture is required in order to be exempt from the $200 tax. You are showing the ATF that you started as a pistol with a brace. If you start with a stock and have a stock on it, it’s an SBR from the start and you must still pay the $200 stamp. There’s talk that once you get the stamp (no $200 for the pistol), you can then stock it if you want. The picture is just to give you amnesty from the fee.

In terms of the engraving, there is speculation about that as well. The engraving applies to the “maker“ of the SBR. If you bought a pistol (or at least the lower) from a manufacturer as something other than a rifle, you are not the maker of the firearm and the serial number stamped on the lower will suffice as the identifying marker and an engraving won’t be required. You’ll just need to show the maker and serial number.

The problem is “who knows”? This whole thing has changed already and may change again before implementation. Or there may never be an implementation. It sounds like the ATF is asking for funds for this “amnesty” program. I’m guessing that means they need $200 times however many pistols they anticipate being turned into SBRs. If Congress denies the funding for this, they may not be able to implement an amnesty program. Then what happens? Do they not do anything? Or do they require all braced pistol owners to surrender their weapons (doubt it) or do they require them to SBR them and pay the tax? I’m not sure they can require that either. So, no one really knows what will wind up happening.

I’m pretty sure that no matter what happens short of nothing, there will be lawsuits challenging their decision. Then the question will be - do the changes go into effect while the lawsuits go on, or will a court put a stop order on the implementation until the lawsuits are complete? Again, who knows?

For me, I’m keeping my braced pistol a braced pistol until something is for sure. I don’t like just the buffer tube thing. So, if it comes down to it, I’ll wind up SBRing it. But I’m not doing anything until I absolutely have to…

I know, I know, that was a lot for saying I was keeping it brief. 😁

You can also switch out the barrel for a 16"+ and convert it to a rifle, plus rifle accessories, for the time being. Until the brace ruling gets struck down.
I'd personally rather switch out the barrel and use it as a rifle. Better to spend that $200 on that than have the money go to the AFT.

You can also switch out the barrel for a 16"+ and convert it to a rifle, plus rifle accessories, for the time being. Until the brace ruling gets struck down.
I'd personally rather switch out the barrel and use it as a rifle. Better to spend that $200 on that than have the money go to the AFT.
I tried a braced AR pistol & realized it wasn't working for my AOPs so I sold the upper & switched the rest over to a reg carbine.

Back