testtest

ATF Requests Funding for Pistol Brace Amnesty Registration Program

To me this was all a roundabout why to build a registry list. 4 million folks who shelled out money for said firearm were not about to just throw them away. Once that list was compiled they could then defend better why there needs to be a national registry list held by the government. Small steps to confiscation.
Some of the early AR pistols had barrels shorter than 12", my buddy had one that was only 5" barrel. It was a fire breathing dragon "novelty" piece of 💩.

Edit:
Somewhere I had read 4 million was the number of AR pistols sold. Personally I think that is way high. Unless they are counting all that was ever sold from the beginning sans "brace".

To me this was all a roundabout why to build a registry list. 4 million folks who shelled out money for said firearm were not about to just throw them away. Once that list was compiled they could then defend better why there needs to be a national registry list held by the government. Small steps to confiscation.
Some of the early AR pistols had barrels shorter than 12", my buddy had one that was only 5" barrel. It was a fire breathing dragon "novelty" piece of 💩.

Edit:
Somewhere I had read 4 million was the number of AR pistols sold. Personally I think that is way high. Unless they are counting all that was ever sold from the beginning sans "brace".
I suspect that number is low. I'm not even sure how an accurate tally could be found. Can't use background check info. Or at least you're not supposed to be able to.

Anyway, my guess is that an enormous number of AR pistols began life as stripped lowers.

As far as that goes you can simply disassemble it. Those parts themselves aren't illegal.
The ATF may see that as "intent" to build an unregistered SBR. For example, if I own a registered M16 and want to keep a couple of M-16 disconnectors (full auto) for spares, but I also have a bunch AR15's then in ATF's way of thinking I'm intenting to convert one of those AR's into an unregistered machine gun just by having those spares under the same roof. Weird isn't it, but ATF will use stuff like this to jamb people up when they conduct a search and can't find anything else. So, if you take off the brace and the short barrel and build a rifle you need to check the regs to determine where you should store them, or whether you should even keep them.

Edit:
Bingo Ritdogg2. I've wondered from the git-go when when various "assessories" started to hit the market how this stuff was going to plan out with ATF. I think the gov't has picked AR pistols to start with to test the waters for a larger registry down the road that will include AR rifles.

The ATF may see that as "intent" to build an unregistered SBR. For example, if I own a registered M16 and want to keep a couple of M-16 disconnectors (full auto) for spares, but I also have a bunch AR15's then in ATF's way of thinking I'm intenting to convert one of those AR's into an unregistered machine gun just by having those spares under the same roof. Weird isn't it, but ATF will use stuff like this to jamb people up when they conduct a search and can't find anything else. So, if you take off the brace and the short barrel and build a rifle you need to check the regs to determine where you should store them, or whether you should even keep them.
There is no such thing as "intent to assemble" when it comes to SBR's; that ONLY applies to machine guns.

Intention is written into the law in defining a rifle.

(7)The term "rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.(8)The term "short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

Rather than having effective local legislation respond to the mater of violent crime, a flustered DOJ finds it easier to dabble in semantics to merely harass law abiding.
It’s easy for localities to cry for the Fed assistance and then they can the point blame.

I’ve yet to see any one victim complain about the type of firearm they were assaulted with, so if the Fed is keeping track of Arm Brace incidents, then they can publish such factoids.

Last edited:

I don't see how they could. None of those parts are illegal for me to possess. A full auto sear is by itself an NFA item. No doubt there are thousands of people with lowers, uppers and parts for days laying around their shop. I don't think the government can call anything intent that isn't built. Otherwise what's to stop them from deciding that since in about 25 seconds I can swap my pistol upper for one of my 16" uppers from a different AR and bingo, SBR.

Yeah assumably, but information about the upper you are planning to use is irrelevant to the 4473 or the government or anyone else's ability to determine whether that stripped lower became a pistol or a carbine or a rifle or is laying in someone's safe still in the package.
A pistol lower can become a rifle, but not the other way.

I sold my pistol upper, and took off the brace & rebuilt it into a carbine,

Easy Peasy

Intention is written into the law in defining a rifle.

(7)The term "rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.(8)The term "short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.
That’s not what that “intended” means.

There is no “intent to assemble” law applying to SBR’s. Period.

Can you simply remove your pistol brace and quit worrying about the BS the DOJ and AFT are trying to lay on you with the new definition of the term rifle ( New rule on braced AR pistols) ?

This lawyer thinks so. So do I.

I think he’s right. The question becomes do you want a pistol with simply a buffer tube. It is an option.

The big deal will be trying to figure out this point system they came up with. And is it possible to stay under the point limit with SOME type of brace. It may be possible, but I’m not completely sure.

Here’s a link to the Form 4999 worksheet that will determine, if they go through with this, whether you have an SBR or a pistol with a brace. 4 points or more = SBR.

Back