testtest

Ayoob: Is It Time to Retire the 1911?

Dated cartridge ? Maybe not the new, popular choice, but then again, men aren't exactly the same as they were when we were young. Take that how you want. I got nothing against 9 mill. I got a few. Just bought another one. Still carry a .45 every day.
Boomer, meet BOOMER, my every day carry. And yes I'm a Boomer.🙂

Attachments

• 20220602_123612.jpg
    20220602_123612.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 126
I am new to the Forum threads as of today so am catching up on a lot of information, and varied opinions. I carried a 1911 for years and I still do some of the time depending on where I am traveling to. One of the problems is that I find the 1911 is not as concealable as it used to be, or comfortable.

If you now gave me a $4Million free home to live in and no property tax forever in the Hartford area, I would still say “No thank you”. Middle CT has gone to the wayside. Rapidly becoming Detroit
I feel the exact same about Denver. Could have really moved up the ladder if I'd relocated. Company even offered to move me.
I said I'd rather have a root canal with no anesthetic.
Denver's a schitthole.

Why? What kind of 1911 do you have? That a 1911 needs to be "tuned" to be a carry gun is a myth.

I have a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec that has been my daily carry gun since 2020. I fire between 50-100 rounds through it weekly and I've used it in several classes. During one of those classes I fired 1,000 rounds without any cleaning or any malfunctions. The only thing about it that isn't factory stock are the magazines. I use McCormick Shooting Star magazines. Otherwise it's exactly as it was when I bought it. It has around 10,000 rounds through it and it has yet to malfunction. I shoot ball and hollow point (Federal, Winchester, Speer, Remington) ammo through it. The target was shot at 15 yards at somewhere between slow and rapid fire speed.
I've one of the cheap Rock Island GI clones. Bought it just because my range buddies wanted me to shoot in our local quarter matches. It handles ball ammo fine, but not any of the Self Defense loads I've tried,, without a lot of hiccups. The gunsmith that worked the trigger over for me, is who suggested tuning it if I wanted to carry it. So, I'm going by his words/advice, I just couldn't see the point, since I had no intention of carrying it. I'm way late to the 1911 game compared to a lot of you guys, so I'm just not that comfortable with it, as it's only been about 5 years since I bought it.

I agree for the most part. The 1911 and the .45 ACP aren't going anywhere any time soon. The question of whether or not they are obsolete is really a rather silly one, because the very word "obsolete" means something is either no longer made, or something is based on an antiquated design. Though Browning's original design might be considered antiquated, it has not remained unchanged, and the design has been continually "tweaked" for over a hundred years, and is still being tweaked as you and I confer.
As for the .45 ACP, it's actually younger than the 9mm Parabellum, as that cartridge was developed several years before the .45. The only thing that has remained consistent with either cartridge, is case dimensions. Improvements in propellants and projectiles is ongoing.
Though the 9mm might edge out the .45 slightly in popularity, the. 45 is by no measure any more obsolete than the .22 LR., a cartridge far older than both, that actually sells more than either the other two (due to its use in pistols and rifles and its relatively low cost). Though I read these articles, it's a debate that really seems to be a waste of time.

On another forum I belong to, a member recently shared a photo of his Glock 19, his new Labrador pup managed to get a hold of. The pup turned that polymer frame into a very expensive chew toy. Another member pointed out, that had he owned a 1911, the pup might have destroyed the grip panels, but the gun would still be usable. I agreed, any metal framed firearm would have been a better choice with Cujo the Glock Chomper around.
"Better," is a very subjective term.

I retired mine in the mid 1980's
I retired my Combat Commander and HiPower something over 5 years ago. Replaced them with a Gen3 G21 and a Gen5G19. No complaints -yet- with either one. My C Commander and BHP are cleaned and in my safe with loaded magazines should that unwanted visitor Justin Case show up...
I was treated to a few shots with a buddy's Combat Commander years ago. I was hooked immediately! Basically the same thing happened with a HiPower. I carried both for years, including time as duty weapons when I worked as a park ranger. I scoffed at the idea of carrying a Plastique Phantastique.. until I did....
While the Glock isnt perfect- needs metal sights and a manual safety in my view- still, they function well, don't choke, and carry well. How well they will last a century from now remains to be seen...

I am fixin' to slide my SIG 1911 into its holster, put on my jacket and Vietnam Veteran hat, load the dogs into the ATV, and go check my hog traps. Did I mention that I am taking my 1911? You know, no one has ever asked me if my 1911 should be retired.

Back