testtest

Ayoob: Is the .45 Obsolete?

That grouping was pretty tight on Ayoob's target! I'd sure like to shoot that accurate with 60 rounds. I wonder how far he was from the target.View attachment 17444
Spent years around pistols In the Army was trained and issued an M1911 and a police officer I was trained and issued a S& .38 Special. I fell in love with both of those guns. I bought a couple of striker fired pistols over the years. I was never impressed with them. I have never found anything that shoots as good as the M1911 in .45.

Old school, old time, dye hard 1911 in .45.

And to answer (perhaps the only stupid question) is of course the .45 will always be relevant.

And yet my EDC is now 9mm in 1911. And the 9mm is superior to the .45.

Why?

Because times (and physical capability, and practicality, and comfort, or not, and other considerations) change.
And so the 9mm that I have with me is superior to the .45 I left at the house!!!
Ahh yes, but there is a paradigm shift coming. Soon, my new handgun operating system will surpass the Browning versions currently ruling the industry. Although originally designed to better handle the recoil of high pressure cartridges (10mm, .357 sig, 9mm major, .45 super, etc.) it will be applied to standard service cartridges making them even more comfortable to shoot. Just imagine your 9mm shooting with the recoil of a .22lr. Because the handgun's recoil will be better managed, compact/lightweight 10mm carry guns that shoot as softly as the docile 9mmwill be possible. Browning was aware of the recoil but the 1911's recoil system was primarily designed to drive the slide back forward, loading the next round reliably. My new operating system will be designed with recoil management as the primary goal. If we want our handguns to be made smaller, lighter in weight, and fire more powerful cartridges, a new operating system will be needed. A new paradigm that allows even grandma to manually operate her semi auto pistol chambered in the most powerful cartridges available will change the industry.
Example: polymer framed, scandium/aluminum slide, short recoil/gas operated 10mm EDC handgun

10mm is the new .45acp it has a much higher velocity with similar recoil to .45acp, more capacity, and bullets weights comparable to .45acp.

Technology evolves though stubborn men are slower to admit it.....😜

.45acp is not obsolete neither is most center-fire cartridges if there's a use or demand for them.
Ahh yes, but there is a paradigm shift coming. Soon, my new handgun operating system will surpass the Browning versions currently ruling the industry. Although originally designed to better handle the recoil of high pressure cartridges (10mm, .357 sig, 9mm major, .45 super, etc.) it will be applied to standard service cartridges making them even more comfortable to shoot. Just imagine your 9mm shooting with the recoil of a .22lr. Because the handgun's recoil will be better managed, compact/lightweight 10mm carry guns that shoot as softly as the docile 9mmwill be possible. Browning was aware of the recoil but the 1911's recoil system was primarily designed to drive the slide back forward, loading the next round reliably. My new operating system will be designed with recoil management as the primary goal. If we want our handguns to be made smaller, lighter in weight, and fire more powerful cartridges, a new operating system will be needed. A new paradigm that allows even grandma to manually operate her semi auto pistol chambered in the most powerful cartridges available will change the industry.
Example: polymer framed, scandium/aluminum slide, short recoil/gas operated 10mm EDC handgun

It all sounds good. Bring it! See'in & shoot'in will persuade me.

Was looking at some 1911's earlier today. All this .45 ACP talk is gonna make me buy one.
I can't afford to start searching for and stockpiling another caliber guys. I'm blaming all of you pre-emptively.

Now that we got that cleared up, I held a Kimber lightweight and that was nice, but I like the Ronin a bit more in terms of aesthetics and how it felt in my hand, I think I liked it being a bit heavier. Any others I should be looking at to further make my decision difficult? 😘
As my every day carry tool, I have the SA XD-s in 45.
I wound up installing trigger goodies to make it more friendly.
It also wears the Crimson Trace Laser Guard sight.
The pistol fits my hand very well and prints very good groups.
My only complaint is that it eats my trigger fingers under recoil (blade safety).
When SA releases an optic ready XD-e (the single action/double action version of the XD-s) I will most likely switch to that design. They have a solid trigger face and I like the decocking element over having a partially cocked striker at all times.
I much prefer relaxed springs until they are needed.

The .45 will never go out of style or be obsolete. It is a round that in conjunction with the 1911 has great appeal than the 9mm. I know more folks own striker fired 9mm than .45; however, I am starting to see more people with striker fired .45. I think they are afraid of the 1911 or think it old fashion. But they certainly like the stopping power of the .45.

Was looking at some 1911's earlier today. All this .45 ACP talk is gonna make me buy one.
I can't afford to start searching for and stockpiling another caliber guys. I'm blaming all of you pre-emptively.

Now that we got that cleared up, I held a Kimber lightweight and that was nice, but I like the Ronin a bit more in terms of aesthetics and how it felt in my hand, I think I liked it being a bit heavier. Any others I should be looking at to further make my decision difficult? 😘
The Springfield TRP Operator is an accuracy cheat code for me.

1980: Is .45 ACP Obsolete?
1990: Is .45 ACP Obsolete?
2000: Is .45 ACP Obsolete?
2010: Is .45 ACP Obsolete?
2020: Is .45 ACP Obsolete?

Simple answer: as long as 9mm 1911's keep being made, it will continue to sicken us and we'll go out and get a .45 to soothe the savage beast in us. It's 9mm owners keeping the .45 alive...
;)

OK ladies and gents! Start flinging your darts! Or 9mm rounds. Or .177 air rifle pellets. Anything but 230g hardball...

Last edited:
All said and done, shooting a pistol that you enjoy and shoot well is really what matters, especially if the only thing you shoot at is paper. If you learn to shoot your pistols accurately you should be well prepared should push come to shove.

1980: Is .45 ACP Obsolete?
1990: Is .45 ACP Obsolete?
2000: Is .45 ACP Obsolete?
2010: Is .45 ACP Obsolete?
2020: Is .45 ACP Obsolete?

Simple answer: as long as 9mm 1911's keep being made, it will continue to sicken us and we'll go out and get a .45 to soothe the savage beast in us. It's 9mm owners keeping the .45 alive...
;)

OK ladies and gents! Start flinging your darts! Or 9mm rounds. Or .177 air rifle pellets. Anything but 230g hardball...
I have 2 9mm 1911’s, Kimber and Springfield, I also have .45’s in 1911, when you have major wrist surgery like I did and the .45 bothers your wrist but you still love the 1911 format like I do, the 9mm is a good compromise.

I have 2 9mm 1911’s, Kimber and Springfield, I also have .45’s in 1911, when you have major wrist surgery like I did and the .45 bothers your wrist but you still love the 1911 format like I do, the 9mm is a good compromise.
Yeah, I was just having fun with that part. 😀
But the first part is true, isn’t it? How many decades will the question hang out there? But I did like the article.

The .45 versus smaller caliber argument has been ongoing at least since Col Walker asked Colt to make a repeating revolver with bigger bullets than the .36 caliber Paterson. People with combat experience insisted upon a .45 cartridge post Civil War. When the military switched to a 38, following failures against the Moro rebels in the Philippines the SAA revolvers in .45 were pulled out of mothballs and sent to troops on an emergency basis. When the Colt 1911 was adopted by the U.S. military, the decision makers, who were combat veterans, insisted that it be a .45 caliber. The .45 has upheld its reputation as a manstopper ever since, and even as recently as the Gulf War, U.S. troops have been critical of the 9mm pistol in combat. Special Warfare units of the U.S. military still use the .45 1911. One drawback to the .45 caliber has always been the relative difficulty in teaching new recruits to shoot it accurately.

We can test and evaluate and scientifically analyze all day long, but bottom line is .45 adherents will stand by the cartridge as a potent defensive round. Perhaps because it has been used to such potent effect for more than 100 years, perhaps because they intuitively believe the bigger bullet hits harder and leaves bigger holes, and perhaps because they like saying, "I carry a forty-five". I personally subscribe to the theory, if letting the blood out is one of the goals in stopping an assailant, bigger bullets making bigger holes will let the blood out faster. Whatever the reason, the .45 acp isn't going anywhere soon.

P.S. I carry a forty-five. 😉

Back