testtest

Ayoob: Is There a 9mm 1911 Problem?

I'm not opposed to 9mm 1911's, but I would be much more likely to shoot and carry a Commander model than a mini-1911. I like the 1911 platform, but the miniature format of micro-1911's doesn't appeal to me. If I wanted something to conceal, and I didn't want a polymer-framed pistol, I'd probably carry my Springfield 911. The 9mm 911 operates like a 1911 without a grip safety. It's significantly easier to conceal than any of the small 1911 offerings, while still offering a full grip and a 7+1 capacity with the 7-round magazine. I'm sure the 1911's mentioned in the article are great guns, but it would be a shame to overlook the excellent (and significantly cheaper) 911 as an option.

I'm not opposed to 9mm 1911's, but I would be much more likely to shoot and carry a Commander model than a mini-1911. I like the 1911 platform, but the miniature format of micro-1911's doesn't appeal to me. If I wanted something to conceal, and I didn't want a polymer-framed pistol, I'd probably carry my Springfield 911. The 9mm 911 operates like a 1911 without a grip safety. It's significantly easier to conceal than any of the small 1911 offerings, while still offering a full grip and a 7+1 capacity with the 7-round magazine. I'm sure the 1911's mentioned in the article are great guns, but it would be a shame to overlook the excellent (and significantly cheaper) 911 as an option.
My preferred micro is a 911 in 380. I like them all, polymer, steel, wheel…
A7ACCCD4-5167-42DA-8B5A-2DADA0F55B57.jpeg

You know when I talk to others about buying a Springfield I mention how awesome they are at including plenty of mags with a semi auto, because of course why buy a semi auto with one mag. Might as well have a revolver. Come on Springfield don’t become Kimber.
If your only complaint is number of magazines then you should be happy with the new Ronin EMP. Yes, you only get one magazine as opposed to three with the original EMP, but, the price is so much lower than the original model that buying a few extra magazines at say $30 apiece leaves you with a considerable chunk of change in your pocket.

Didn't anyone catch Mas say he has dry-fired his original EMP "thousands" of times, thus it is a tad smoother than the new Ronin? Isn't there another hotly argued thread on this exact topic with several sore kiesters? Who woulda thought...
I believe that was/is a great thread that allowed everyone to post their views on the subject and what was mentioned many times was “it’s your gun so you can do what you want to do” applies.

And as I just read the article his words were
“years of dry firing and “thousands”
Of live rounds.

Last edited:
Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Ayoob: Is There a 9mm 1911 Problem?" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/ayoob-is-there-a-9mm-1911-problem/.

I have discussed ammo before when copying a 1911 platform. 7.62x25 out performs 9mm any day of the week. I have a norinco 7.62x25 hand gun. I out shot Makarov, Ruger, Smith & Wesson 9mm. Distance and accuracy. I find you can build any gun but ammo is important factor. 7.62x25 hits just as hard as a 45acp no 9mm can. 7.62x25 is just a hair longer than a 9mm so it would be easy to redesign these guns to handle this type of ammo which has the same recoil as a 9mm. Has better accuracy,distance, damage. All these professionals that have been around guns and talk about them. My father taught law enforcement and was in Vietnam, the 1911 was his favorite gun when he shot my norinco he was very impressed with the gun. He had to take it apart and again impressed it came apart as easy as the 1911. He was the one that taught me about ammo reloding. The 7.62x25 should be deeply considered as the ammo instead of 9mm.

I have discussed ammo before when copying a 1911 platform. 7.62x25 out performs 9mm any day of the week. I have a norinco 7.62x25 hand gun. I out shot Makarov, Ruger, Smith & Wesson 9mm. Distance and accuracy. I find you can build any gun but ammo is important factor. 7.62x25 hits just as hard as a 45acp no 9mm can. 7.62x25 is just a hair longer than a 9mm so it would be easy to redesign these guns to handle this type of ammo which has the same recoil as a 9mm. Has better accuracy,distance, damage. All these professionals that have been around guns and talk about them. My father taught law enforcement and was in Vietnam, the 1911 was his favorite gun when he shot my norinco he was very impressed with the gun. He had to take it apart and again impressed it came apart as easy as the 1911. He was the one that taught me about ammo reloding. The 7.62x25 should be deeply considered as the ammo instead of 9mm.
Energy and wound potential are too different animals. If a round is traveling too fast it can zip right through a fleshy target without inflicting much damage or cavitation compared to a slower round. Over penetration should be a consideration when choosing a self defense round as innocent unintended casualties are always unacceptable.

Check out the video link below. You can skip to 8:30 on the video to see the damage done to a clay block between the two rounds.

Just go straight to .22TCM. Actually designed to work in the 1911 platform, and has better availability (relying on Russia for ammo supply probably isn’t the best idea right now).

Energy and wound potential are too different animals. If a round is traveling too fast it can zip right through a fleshy target without inflicting much damage or cavitation compared to a slower round. Over penetration should be a consideration when choosing a self defense round as innocent unintended casualties are always unacceptable.

Check out the video link below. You can skip to 8:30 on the video to see the damage done to a clay block between the two rounds.

Who-tee-who is a hoot

My preferred micro is a 911 in 380. I like them all, polymer, steel, wheel…
View attachment 27178
The .380 acp 911 is what convinced me to buy the 9mm version. I found the basic black 911 Nitride Alpha on a great sale at my LGS ($316 OTD) in 2019. I loved the gun so much that I picked up the 9mm version about a year later. I actually prefer the .380 acp 911 because it is slightly easier to pocket-carry. I recommend the 9mm to shooters who just don't trust any caliber smaller than 9mm, but they are both excellent guns.

Is the SA 911 available? I thought it was discontinued, but is there a replacement in the works?

Why, oh why doesn't SA redesign the EMP frame for a double stack magazine holding at least 15 rounds? Hell, they could use Walther mags like Wilson did and skip mag development costs. Undercut the frame as high as possible, eliminate the grips altogether to keep the circumference as small as possible and work with one of the grip tape makers to provide traction, keep MSRP around $1000 and voila! - I bet you'd have a best seller on your hands.

Back