testtest

Ayoob: Why You’re Wrong About the XD

Finally, I find another XD-E owner. I can't see why they stopped making it. They could have reworked it to use something like the Hellcat magazine and it would sell very well, I believe.
I have had mine for (I think) 5 years now, and to me, it is close to the perfect carry pistol. The DA/SA means that I can draw and shoot DA if I need to, as I always carry with a round in the chamber. The fact that the DA trigger pull is about 9# means I'm not going to let off a round upon draw accidentally, and if the situation allows, I can cock the trigger manually to use the 4# SA trigger pull. Match the XD-E with a Veridian green laser and you have (IMHO) close to a perfect carry pistol. The only thing that I think would make it better would be the Hellcat's magazine.
Yes, the XDE is my EDC (usually) when carrying concealed. Also have a round in the chamber and really like the ambidextrous side safety / de-cock lever. When drawing the weapon in defensive mode, the thumb is moving it to fire mode as the pistol is coming up. It does have a Veridian Red Laser, which is good in low light situations. Can not see much outside on a sunny day.

Not familiar with the Hellcat Magazine. XDE is a single stack, is the Hellcat also?

I’ve owned several XD(x) model pistols; my first was the original XDm in .40…wanted to love this pistol, didn’t.

Next tried to a XD .45 Tactical, thumb safety model. I…kinda liked it, but at the end of the day, preferred the Glock 21.

Follow on with a XDs .45, again, the original…really liked it, until the recall fix mucked up the trigger.

Tried a 9mm XD subcompact…meh.

XD 9mm Tactical. Meh.

XDm .45 Compact. Double meh.

Meh has been my entire relationship with them. They aren’t superior to any of the other major plastic strikers out there, and, in my direct hands-on shooting experience, not as good as most.

If you like yours, more power to you…but I’ll take a VP9, or M&P, or Glock 17, or Walther PPQ/PDP, long before I would choose another XD.

All my XD/XDms have been excellent and it's a shame that SA is essentially walking away from the platform.

None of my XD/XDm's have failed to function, and I did a similar "stress-test" on my XDm 5.25 9mm for two seasons of IPSC shooting with no cleaning & it ran 100%. That proved to me it was suitable to be one of my primary self-defense handguns, so I bought another.

The grip safety on any of them has been a nothing-burger for me. It's never inhibited my use nor the function of the platform.

Ayoob's article is spot on on why he likes it, and those that have an issue with him & others liking the platform have some critical thinking issues to resolve.

My .02

Last edited:
All my XD/XDms have been excellent and it's a shame that SA is essentially walking away from the platform.

None of my XD/XDm's have failed to function, and I did a similar "stress-test" on my XDm 5.25 9mm for two seasons of IPSC shooting with no cleaning & it ran 100%. That proved to me it was suitable to be one of my primary self-defense handguns, so I bought another.

The grip safety on any of them has been a nothing-burger for me. It's never inhibited my use nor the function of the platform.

Ayoob's article is spot on on why he likes it, and those that have an issue with him & others liking the platform have some critical thinking issues to resolve.

My .02
I didn't think anyone was taking issue with it. I like mine fine. No complaints. I prefer some of my other guns for EDC, but that's no reflection on the XD.

I own a few handguns. The xd-m elite 4.5 10mm is my favorite to shoot. For carry, its the hellcat.
I, too, have the XD-M Elite with the 4½" barrel in 10mm as well as a 4" XD45 (the only thing I have done to it is replace the sights with the Echelon sights). I also have an Echelon and the Hellcat Pro, which I carry most of the time. Never a hiccup from any of them!

Finally, I find another XD-E owner. I can't see why they stopped making it. They could have reworked it to use something like the Hellcat magazine and it would sell very well, I believe.
I have had mine for (I think) 5 years now, and to me, it is close to the perfect carry pistol. The DA/SA means that I can draw and shoot DA if I need to, as I always carry with a round in the chamber. The fact that the DA trigger pull is about 9# means I'm not going to let off a round upon draw accidentally, and if the situation allows, I can cock the trigger manually to use the 4# SA trigger pull. Match the XD-E with a Veridian green laser and you have (IMHO) close to a perfect carry pistol. The only thing that I think would make it better would be the Hellcat's magazine.

The only CCW SA model I feel comfortable carrying concealed is the XD-E for all the reasons you stated, I'm a fanboy too. Are there better options out there, probably but what I have is what I got to work with, unless someone gives me the better option for free.

I don't nearly get out to the range as much as I'd like, but I've yet to have any issue with any of my XD pistols, I find the XD-M Elite in 10mm is a blast to shoot, and fairly accurate at typical pistol engagement distances.

If someone wants to let me try their G20, I'd be willing to send some lead down range and punch some holes in paper?!?

I have the XDS in .45 and carry it often, OWB and IWB. I have a pocket holster, but the pistol too big for the pockets of any of my trousers. All in all, it provides a reasonable compromise of concealability and power.

I load the 5-round mag and carry an 8-round spare mag in my pocket. Compared to my 1911, it's easier to clean and to conceal but requires a much tighter grip to shoot accurately. I recently qualified for the NJ CCW permit using it and a full-frame "2011" in 9 mm. In that test, the shooter fires 50 rounds, untimed, consisting of two strings of five rounds each at 3, 5, 7, 10, 15 yards, drawing from a concealed holster for each string. I didn't anticipate using the XDS and hadn't practiced with it for a couple of months. I first shot the 2011, scored 100; then shot the XDS and scored 98. Fatigue probably played a part in the lower score with the XDS, as my practice sessions usually consist of 50 live rounds.

I was pleasantly surprised at my groups with the XDS, and I feel more confident in my abilities should I need to use it in self defense. One other plus of the XDS: after putting 50 or so rounds through it, shooting an LCP doesn't feel so bad lol

Back