testtest

B-52 Stratofortress — The BUFF Strategic Bomber

I saw a large fly-over of several B-1 bombers awhile back when I was at the Grand Canyon.
Born and raised about 15 miles from a SAC base. When the B-52s flew out on alert there was no noise abatement as they flew over our house. The TV screen would roll and go into static mode. The KC-135s would follow and actually their engines were more painful to the ears than the BUFFs. Now live near a B-1B base, but they don't fly over that much, but when they do it's pretty impressive.

After basic training and tech school, I spent the rest of my enlistment in SAC. I spent one tour at Andersen AFB, Guam where our "D" models flew missions to Vietnam. Sorry about the quality of the photos, they were taken in 1966.

IMG_0013_1.jpg

IMG_0023_1.jpg

B52.png

I love the old B-52. Here is a plane from, Well, 1952, that just keeps going. No matter how many times the Air Force tries to field a replacement, XB-70, B-36, B-57, B-58, B1A & B, B-2 nothing comes close. They just keep re-winging and re-building the old BUFF's

I love the old B-52. Here is a plane from, Well, 1952, that just keeps going. No matter how many times the Air Force tries to field a replacement, XB-70, B-36, B-57, B-58, B1A & B, B-2 nothing comes close. They just keep re-winging and re-building the old BUFF's
The B-52 replaced the B-36.

And the B-57 was a tactical bomber not a strategic bomber like the rest.

Last edited:
USAF leadership referred to the B52 as a 100 year airframe when I was on a SAC base. I have read of three generations of men of the same family flying the same BUFF. They just change out engines and the electronics suite and continue on. With a full load of today's precision guided munitions a B52 is an awesome weapon. God Bless our warriors who will go in harm's way on our behalf.

With the all girl band? None were hawt but they could play.
And sing with an accent. There were three clubs there right next to one another. I can't remember the names of the others. On Town Patrol I hit every bar in Udornthani. As a gun note, we did not have a SOFA with Thailand so could not carry our guns off base. So we carried them in shoulder holsters under our fatigues. I had a friendly Thai Policeman who was quick on the draw and who rode in my jeep often on bar checks. The locals were terrified of him

And sing with an accent. There were three clubs there right next to one another. I can't remember the names of the others. On Town Patrol I hit every bar in Udornthani. As a gun note, we did not have a SOFA with Thailand so could not carry our guns off base. So we carried them in shoulder holsters under our fatigues. I had a friendly Thai Policeman who was quick on the draw and who rode in my jeep often on bar checks. The locals were terrified of him
Those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end --

Just did the Google Earth Pro trick and . . . . . don't anything look even remotely familiar. Looked for the three circles -- nothing.

BTW, Mrs. Tinyman just busted on me pretty bad. I was keeping her updated on our reminiscing and she said, "you can't remember why you came into the room but you can remember the name of a bar from 1970"?

And yes, I still drink Singha.

Years ago I had a friend who was a ground pounder in Viet-Nam.
He was on patrol near Laos and they settled down for the night when they all felt a earthquake as everything was shaking and the sky's' towards Laos was lite up big time.
They figured out it was B-52's carpet bombing in Laos VC trails about more or less 20 miles from them. :unsure:

Back