testtest

Bad wreck tonight at Daytona..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
In the last lap of the race, Ryan Newman got spun around and his car flipped over onto his roof, then he got hit by Cory Lajoy who was at full speed. Newman slid on his roof a good bit around the track, the safety crew put up black screens around his car as they extracted him from the wreckage and took him directly to the hospital.

This is latest update I have heard,

Roush Fenway Racing said Ryan Newman was in serious condition at a local hospital after his terrifying crash on the final lap of the Daytona 500.
The team said that doctors at Halifax Medical Center indicated that Newman’s injuries were not life-threatening.

Last edited:
In the last lap of the race, Ryan Newman got spun around and his car flipped over onto his roof, then he got hit by Cory Lajoy who was at full speed. Newman slid on his roof a good bit around the track, the safety crew put up black screens around his car as they extracted him from the wreckage and took him directly to the hospital.

As I mentioned on another thread, I'm more of an IndyCar racing fan than NASCAR, but I'll watch some of the Daytona 500 race. Unfortunatley, this happens because of the way NASCAR sets it up. Restricter plate racing. everybody drafts each other until the last 20 or so laps, and the announcers keep saying "when will the big one occur". They set the races into 3 segments now, so I guess this could happen at the end of each segment, but they seem to drive a little more cautiously saving it for the last (and winning final) segment. My understanding was that Newman was leading with few laps left, and Blaney tried to grab the lead and hit him, thus locking bumpers and causing another car to "T" bone Newman starting the crash results. I told a friend who goes to the race every year (and is a big Newman fan), that I would watch the last 10 laps or so to see who would win, when he asked if I would watch the race. It's reached the level of a NBA basketball game, where you watch the last 2 minutes to see who will win (unless the Knicks are playing (yes, sorrily I'm a "shopping bag" Knicks fan). This year I didn't even watch the last 10 laps, but I'm sure to get the run down on what happened when I see my friend.

As I mentioned on another thread, I'm more of an IndyCar racing fan than NASCAR, but I'll watch some of the Daytona 500 race. Unfortunatley, this happens because of the way NASCAR sets it up. Restricter plate racing. everybody drafts each other until the last 20 or so laps, and the announcers keep saying "when will the big one occur". They set the races into 3 segments now, so I guess this could happen at the end of each segment, but they seem to drive a little more cautiously saving it for the last (and winning final) segment. My understanding was that Newman was leading with few laps left, and Blaney tried to grab the lead and hit him, thus locking bumpers and causing another car to "T" bone Newman starting the crash results. I told a friend who goes to the race every year (and is a big Newman fan), that I would watch the last 10 laps or so to see who would win, when he asked if I would watch the race. It's reached the level of a NBA basketball game, where you watch the last 2 minutes to see who will win (unless the Knicks are playing (yes, sorrily I'm a "shopping bag" Knicks fan). This year I didn't even watch the last 10 laps, but I'm sure to get the run down on what happened when I see my friend.
Did you watch the Fox video I included, it shows a good bit of it. Not much of a restrictor plate fan either, Newman was leading last lap, Blaney got into him, and well, you can see the end result.

Did you watch the Fox video I included, it shows a good bit of it. Not much of a restrictor plate fan either, Newman was leading last lap, Blaney got into him, and well, you can see the end result.
No, I didn't know your post had a video (I'll have to watch, thanks), but I did see the replay video on the ESPN app on my phone. Kind of small to make out the details, but I just read the article in Racer.com on Hamlin's win and they described the accident in greater detail than the ESPN article. It said they were in the 2nd and final overtime (I took it to mean the 2nd Green, White, Checker (GWC)). And interestingly, It does looks like there was a similar type "race to the finish" accident in the 2nd segment (or whatever they call it), with Logano taking out Johnson and Keslowski (I'm sure Penske was happy about that, but I guess he'll take 2nd place gladly).

I don't know how I could have missed the video you attached, it was plain as day 🙂. It shows a lot more than the video I saw yesterday evening. Pretty scare crash for sure & I hope he's alright with no lasting damage.

My son knows more about NASCAR that a person should. Every week, the surround sound is going and it sounds like they are doing laps around my house. The phone is on, the tablets are going the computers are going. Kid looks like he is behind a drum set of video monitors with enough information coming across to rival the stock market. It's my fault. When he was 5, I flipped on the Daytona 500 for him to see some "cool cars". Of course, inside of 30 seconds they had "the big one" and his head exploded. He thought that was the greatest thing ever. He thought that's what they were supposed to do. To go off topic for a second, my fault one of my daughters liking Michael Jackson. First thing I showed her? Thriller. (no , she was older than 5) Maybe I should have used elastics and marbles to introduce my children to things rather than swing for the fence :) .

Last edited:
I gave up watching NASCAR years ago. I really got tired of watching cars making left turns and felt guilty for waiting for a crash to break the monotony. My prayers for the driver's complete and speedy recovery.

Ryan Newman walked out of the hospital today with his 2 daughters, he was very lucky with the carnage he went through in that horrendous wreck.

1582142637920.jpeg

Thats amazing. Good for him. I wish some of NACSAR's safety with the cars would trickle into mainstream vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back