testtest

Bait and Switch

I was afraid to list the names because I didn’t want to get bounced from the forum if that’s not allowed. Can a moderator make a ruling that this is ok to name names? If so, we could start using names in this thread for the bad companies or bad experiences.
It was ok for a post several months ago when we listed companies that had anti gun views & policies such as Dick’s Sporting Goods, Levi’s, Symantec, etc. I don’t know if this forum has changed on that, but I and others continue to list names included in this thread, so I think 🤔 it’s ok.

My LGS has kept prices low for both Ammunition and Firearms. They mark up the prices to correspond to the costs they currently obtain the product at, while still making a small profit.
Case in point: I recently bought the Springfield Armory Saint Victor 300BO pistol there for $949. Springfield has it listed MSRP (as well as the 5.56 Victor version) at $1049 ($100 more than at LSG). Cheaper Than Dirt is selling the Victor 5.56 pistol for $1995 which they claim is "our low price" :rolleyes:. That's $1046 more than I paid at my LGS (since I assume CTD would sell the 300BO for the same price). Now that's gouging IMO!
Now as a disclaimer, I'm a very good customer of my LGS, but they don't discount firearms for me (or anyone). But for every gun I buy, my buddy throws in a "free" box of high end 9mm ammo (I have well over 500 rounds in the past year, did I mention I buy a lot of firearms there? :sneaky:). They only sell 1 box of each caliber ammunition per customer. There's no compromise, but he did allow me to buy his last 2 boxes of 6.5 Carcano, because as he put it "who's gonna come in looking for 6.5 Carcano, it's not like there's a run on it or anything ;) ).

I'll post up that Classic Firearms has done me right (so far). I found some 9mm from them on ammoseek.com, was able to add to cart before they sold out, completed the order, and their tracking shows it on a FedEx truck for delivery today. We shall see, once I get home today.

I don't think the add-to-cart / out-of-stock disconnect is intentional. I think this stuff is going SO FAST, the sites can't update fast enough. My local LGS is out of just about ALL ammo, and damned near all handguns. The clerk was happy Saturday when I was in - "we got our biggest order in the last 3 months yesterday - FIVE GUNS!!!" The cupboards are definitely bare. I bought one of the five - an FDE Hellcat. Which was, at least, still at MSRP. Not sure about the others they had in stock - the only other one that got my attention was a super-sexy new Colt King Cobra .357. Mmmmm....

I think the problem with a few of these is that the order isn’t placed/your items aren’t “pulled off the shelf”, as it were, until you process your payment—so even if it says the item is available when you put it in your cart...it might not be when your order is completed.

Frustrating, yes...but if they don’t do that, merchandise can be tied up in people’s carts for hours (or longer) when the order is never completed.

This is why I buy at my local gun shop, they can and will order anything I need if it’s not in stock, I might pay a tad more for it, but if you figure in shipping, it’s about the same.
I factor shipping like paying for gas. The places I frequent for reliable Ammo is not close. Where I can usually get it is about a 30 minute drive.

I've only been at this about 6 months, but already I've gotten wise to quite a lot of companies pulling this kind of crap. You're right, when things loosen up and we are spoiled for choice again there's going to be payback. Perhaps we should start a sticky of the companies who have provided consistently good service and deserve our business.

I think the sticky is a good idea. I’ve been ordering from a select few online sellers for rounds that I can’t get at my local range. All of my local shops have been out of the ammo I’ve been looking for; I haven’t had any luck with them since late June.

Maybe we should all start naming these businesses, good and bad, in a new thread on the forum to keep them on the up and up. Better yet, 2 threads, one for good and one for bad would be in order. The bad ones might be forced to play it straight then. I've searched for things that showed "in stock" and when you get to the page and try to "add to cart", it's "out of stock", "on backorder", or "notify me".

I have had this issue repeatedly with Bass Pro and Cabela's. Ammo will show "In Stock" and the site will allow me to add it to cart. After the unnecessarily long checkout process, I receive notice that, "There is Insufficient Inventory to Fill Your Order". After repeatedly lowering the quantity ordered, and going through the lengthy checkout process each time, I will still get the "There is Insufficient Inventory to Fill Your Order" message. If there is "Insufficient Inventory" to fill an order of 1, then the item is clearly out of stock. The whole process is infuriating.

I've been ordering small qtys from Federal Premium when they have stock, and have had no previpus problems. Two days ago I had 4 bxs (200 rounds total) of 9mm in my "cart", and by the time I made it to the "place your order" page, it showed as not available. I think someone was just quicker than me in placing an order and depleted the on-hand stock.

Last edited:
I think someone was just quicker than me in placing an order and depleted the on-hand stock.

Exactly.

EVERYONE is shopping right now, and NOBODY has inventory. When it does show up...it gets snapped up immediately. There may be four boxes...or six...or one...when you "add to cart". But it may also be in someone else's cart at the same time. Until it's paid for...it's not "gone". It could be in a hundred carts, all at once...until someone's card information gets run through. If you're on step 1 for payment, and they're on step 8...they're gonna get it, and you'll get the "out of stock" message.

Don't feed your dog for a day. Put a bowl of food down. How fast does it vanish? We joke about "feeding" our guns...but it's the same thing, really.

My LGS has kept prices low for both Ammunition and Firearms. They mark up the prices to correspond to the costs they currently obtain the product at, while still making a small profit.
Case in point: I recently bought the Springfield Armory Saint Victor 300BO pistol there for $949. Springfield has it listed MSRP (as well as the 5.56 Victor version) at $1049 ($100 more than at LSG). Cheaper Than Dirt is selling the Victor 5.56 pistol for $1995 which they claim is "our low price" :rolleyes:. That's $1046 more than I paid at my LGS (since I assume CTD would sell the 300BO for the same price). Now that's gouging IMO!
Now as a disclaimer, I'm a very good customer of my LGS, but they don't discount firearms for me (or anyone). But for every gun I buy, my buddy throws in a "free" box of high end 9mm ammo (I have well over 500 rounds in the past year, did I mention I buy a lot of firearms there? :sneaky:). They only sell 1 box of each caliber ammunition per customer. There's no compromise, but he did allow me to buy his last 2 boxes of 6.5 Carcano, because as he put it "who's gonna come in looking for 6.5 Carcano, it's not like there's a run on it or anything ;) ).

They did last time too and every time it happens. I stop buying from them over 12yrs ago when Obama took office. I will not buy a pencil from them. CTD are worst company out there on stick it to people.

I've been ordering small qtys from Federal Premium when they have stock, and have had no previpus problems. Two days ago I had 4 bxs (200 rounds total) of 9mm in my "cart", and by the time I made it to the "place your order" page, it showed as not available. I think someone was just quicker than me in placing an order and depleted the on-hand stock.
I managed to pick up a case of 9mm from Federal about a month ago, but for the last week or so they have been completely dry.

Back