testtest

Ballpark estimate

Bassbob

Emissary
Are we allowed to start threads asking the collective for ballpark estimates of the value of firearms ? The item is not for sale and I have a rough idea of the value based on a few past sales I've found on-line, but this place is a goldmine of knowledge of this sort of thing. Thought I'd ask first.

I’ll find out for you. The problem lies in folks doing it as a back door to sales on the forum. Anyone should be able to research a ballpark on readily available modern weapons fairly easily without the forums help or after help finding the places to look. Until word comes down, assume the answer is no.
Remember we’re trying to keep the rules less complicated (the other direction has bitten us in the behind more than once).

I’ll find out for you. The problem lies in folks doing it as a back door to sales on the forum. Anyone should be able to research a ballpark on readily available modern weapons fairly easily without the forums help or after help finding the places to look. Until word comes down, assume the answer is no.
Remember we’re trying to keep the rules less complicated (the other direction has bitten us in the behind more than once).
That's true, but we have at least 5 guys here that I know have extensive knowledge of revolvers and I'm really looking for a number for my insurance rider.

I'd just like to point out that there have been several threads prior where people have asked for information and rough values on firearms, and there’s never been an eyebrow raised. Mods have even participated in them.

I think as long as it's well understood that it's for information only, that there’s no selling or even attempting to sell (“what's it worth and would anyone be interested” is a common phrase), I don’t think there would be an issue. There’s plenty of folks here that would make sure any attempt to work around it would get reported.

Are we allowed to start threads asking the collective for ballpark estimates of the value of firearms ? The item is not for sale and I have a rough idea of the value based on a few past sales I've found on-line, but this place is a goldmine of knowledge of this sort of thing. Thought I'd ask first.
I don't see a prob either, but? "Not my job man?" What's generally done from my experience is to get an appraisal from a local gunsmith. Be upfront on what it's for, it's in your best interest, have it in writing from them. May cost a few bucks, but it's in writing....(A backup.) then go online for some comparables in similar condition. 2 or 3 for values. The original grip? To me, looks good.... w/o seeing orig. looks like you did a good job! Don't see any real diminishment in value. If concerned about it, find another grip?

I don't see a prob either, but? "Not my job man?" What's generally done from my experience is to get an appraisal from a local gunsmith. Be upfront on what it's for, it's in your best interest, have it in writing from them. May cost a few bucks, but it's in writing....(A backup.) then go online for some comparables in similar condition. 2 or 3 for values. The original grip? To me, looks good.... w/o seeing orig. looks like you did a good job! Don't see any real diminishment in value. If concerned about it, find another grip?

I have researched replacing the grips. I think even if I was trying to sell it I wouldn't replace the grips. They go for anywhere from $250-$350. As far as appraisal in writing, it's not necessary because it's a rider. That is it's a valued policy. I come up with the dollar amount I want to insure things like guns and guitars for and then I pay for that coverage. If I was to over-estimate the value of all my stuff, just to be on the safe side, the increase in my premium would be much higher. I am looking for as close to actual replacement cost as possible. Even though, particularly where firearms are concerned, that is subject to change rather quickly.

I have researched replacing the grips. I think even if I was trying to sell it I wouldn't replace the grips. They go for anywhere from $250-$350. As far as appraisal in writing, it's not necessary because it's a rider. That is it's a valued policy. I come up with the dollar amount I want to insure things like guns and guitars for and then I pay for that coverage. If I was to over-estimate the value of all my stuff, just to be on the safe side, the increase in my premium would be much higher. I am looking for as close to actual replacement cost as possible. Even though, particularly where firearms are concerned, that is subject to change rather quickly.
For an insurance reason, I’d estimate on the high end in this case; the value of the original snake guns are only going up, and that is a fairly stable trend. High end estimate would have you good for a couple years, at least, depending on how often you need to update your rider.

For an insurance reason, I’d estimate on the high end in this case; the value of the original snake guns are only going up, and that is a fairly stable trend. High end estimate would have you good for a couple years, at least, depending on how often you need to update your rider.

I'm thinking along the same lines brother. I haven't updated it in probably close to ten years now so it's likely to be that long before I visit it again. I think based on what I've seen on-line and especially the information I have gotten from you experts here, I will likely estimate the value at about 2k. It may be a bit more than the actual value of the gun, but it's probably pretty close to what it would cost me to replace it right now.

Funny story. The other day when I was immersed in the computer checking out prices for this gun my wife asks me what I'm doing. I told her I was checking for the value of this gun. She asked me why. I told her it may be worth quite a bit more than I paid for it. She says " So what ?" I said well what if I wanted to sell it. She laughed, I laughed. In all my years I have relinquished ownership of exactly 2 guns. One was a pistol I gave my daughter and the other was a sporterized Enfield .308 I sold for grocery money during the Obama economy.

I did this estimate rider for my 1977 F250. Family owned from day 1 brand new from dealer/Ford.

state farm said $6000 value. Told them to pound sand.
Got classic car insurance companies to value it and 2 appraisers came back at $22,000-$25,000 loss replacement value for a total loss.
Went with that insurance company and it was half the price of State Farm for Classic Auto insurance. (Which is not state farms forte)

I did this estimate rider for my 1977 F250. Family owned from day 1 brand new from dealer/Ford.

state farm said $6000 value. Told them to pound sand.
Got classic car insurance companies to value it and 2 appraisers came back at $22,000-$25,000 loss replacement value for a total loss.
Went with that insurance company and it was half the price of State Farm for Classic Auto insurance. (Which is not state farms forte)
When I turned my '65 vette upside down I lost more money than I care to remember. I'll keep your info in mind if I were able to obtain a classic in the future?

Agreed and Understood. Am about same way. On the grips or whatever? I usually keep a "running inventory" in my head of what am looking for, if when out "scoping" or browsing for deals, finding something that fits needs at a more than fair price? ....One thing less on list.

I'd just like to point out that there have been several threads prior where people have asked for information and rough values on firearms, and there’s never been an eyebrow raised. Mods have even participated in them.

I think as long as it's well understood that it's for information only, that there’s no selling or even attempting to sell (“what's it worth and would anyone be interested” is a common phrase), I don’t think there would be an issue. There’s plenty of folks here that would make sure any attempt to work around it would get reported.
Thanks for the info Hans. I only get on the forum to read for fun maybe once a week. The rest of the time I’m scanning for arguments and violations. The non-sa firearm specific posts are something that i tend to gloss over as there’s rarely problems. I looked over a bunch today and see what you mean. I went ahead and updated the info sent up the chain so they have a more complete picture of what’s already going on. Fortunately, the meeting for today got punted and Council of Nicaea will have a chance to see your input at their next gathering.

Back