testtest

Bear Aware: How to Safely Handle a Bear Encounter in the Great Outdoors

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
With fall hunting here for some, and fall also starts the hyperphagia season for bears. Here's some reminders for those that live, or plan to come west to hunt in griz country, where bears are.

1693862862985.png

Gun shots are a dinner bell for griz who have figured out a harvested deer and/or elk is basically a free meal and will seek the hunter kills out.

I'm more worried about Bear encounters in The Great Indoors.

There was a lady on the west side of Colorado Springs that was feeding bears in her backyard and she left her slider open so they could come and go in the kitchen as they pleased.

I'm not sure how long it went on but a meter reader went in her backyard to read the meter and caught her doing it.

I think they fined her $800. I also think they called her doing it more than once.

I'm more worried about Bear encounters in The Great Indoors.

There was a lady on the west side of Colorado Springs that was feeding bears in her backyard and she left her slider open so they could come and go in the kitchen as they pleased.

I'm not sure how long it went on but a meter reader went in her backyard to read the meter and caught her doing it.

I think they fined her $800. I also think they called her doing it more than once.
She's still doing it, I follow her on tictac. https://www.tiktok.com/@susankehoe1?_t=8fURZPUHD23&_r=1

Last edited:

Note: More than 1,000 grizzlies roam the Yellowstone region of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. Roughly the same number live in northwestern Montana around Glacier National Park (it's a greater area than around Glacier NP according to this second report. Plus both populations are expanding in Montana & Wyoming, and to a lesser extent in Idaho).

Last edited:
I have an loon neighbor that not only talks to the small wildlife but feeds them daily, mostly breads. Birds and squirrels enjoy the midday handout but after dusk all the scavenger nocturnals finish up the leftovers then migrate over to my yard for their berries, larvae, assorted proteins and if the mood strikes, take a their dumps.

I used to work at a FedEx Warehouse.
FB_IMG_1694110167330.jpg
My stupid supervisor fed the squirrels on the lot.
FB_IMG_1694110206393.jpg
She would bring bags and bags of peanuts every day. She fed them so much they buried pounds of peanuts all over the lot.

It got to the point that the squirrels were getting in the company car to beg for peanuts.

Then one of my stupid coworkers got bit by one of the squirrels and tried to file a Worker's Comp claim. The Office raised hell over that.

Squirrels are cool. Their flea bitten presence really contributes to the raptor proliferation here.

As a city dweller, and even in my road travels TN,SC,NC, GA, I’ve ever seen a bear outside of the zoo. Took a picture atop of one circa 1960, I recall it was a stuffed black bear at Chicago’s Lincoln Park‘s midway, the vendor would take a Polaroid slip it into a keepsake folder, probably cost 10¢.

I need a bear to get rid of the neighbors. The crime, high taxes and voting record hasn’t been successful in nudging them out. Oh wait, maybe it’s me that has to leave !

These were both within an hour of my house in the last few days. As Yellowstone/Grand Teton have exceeded carrying capacity for grizz, the young are getting pushed out into surrounding mountain ranges and foothills.

What is particularly frustrating is that the NPS identified a 'target number' of grizz it wanted to achieve as a result of it's "Grizzly Recovery Program" after numbers had dropped considerably in the parks a few decades ago. But every time there is any talk of acknowledging that those targets have been reached (or exceeded), it gets shot down by environmental groups, who seem to want to see grizzly everywhere, not just in the parks but in all the surrounding communities as well. Predictably, encounters like this are rapidly increasing over the last decade, and it seems like we have at least one fatality every year, often during hunting season.

Last edited:
These were both within an hour of my house in the last few days. As Yellowstone/Grand Teton have exceeded carrying capacity for grizz, the young are getting pushed out into surrounding mountain ranges and foothills.

What is particularly frustrating is that the NPS identified a target number of grizz it wanted to achieve as a result of it's "Grizzly Recovery Program" after numbers had dropped considerably in the parks a few decades ago. But every time there is any talk of acknowledging that those targets have been reached (or exceeded), it gets shot down by environmental groups, who seem to want to see grizzly everywhere, not just in the parks but in all the surrounding communities as well. Predictably, encounters like this are rapidly increasing over the last decade, and it seems like we have at least one fatality every year, often during hunting season.
Not the NPS but the USFWS manages the recovery of listed species under the Endangered Species Act.

As a population increases there's always those individuals that disperse looking for unoccupied habitat and that includes adults.

We've had adults come down from the Glacier NP/Bob Marshall Wilderness area (the heart of the Northern Continental Divide Ecosystem Recovery Area) and also west from the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem recovery areas into Wes-central MT right up to the ID/MT state line.

Not the NPS but the USFWS manages the recovery of listed species under the Endangered Species Act.

USFWS plays a big role for sure, since they oversee all listed Endangered Species, but it's the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (comprised of federal, state, and tribal members, along with the Yellowstone Ecosystem Subcommittee) that collectively have input on the program. LINK and another LINK

As a population increases there's always those individuals that disperse looking for unoccupied habitat and that includes adults.

All of which was an easily predictable effect of letting the population continue to grow beyond identified targets. Grizz, and especially mature male grizz, have a large home range, and don't tolerate competition within it. As target numbers within the parks were reached a while ago, every additional young grizz that isn't replacing one who died, is being pushed out of the park. Neighboring mtn ranges like the Centennials, Winds, Palisades, Absorokas, etc. have significantly growing populations.

Personally, I think grizz are awesome and worthy of protecting in appropriate places, but they simply aren't compatible everywhere, and we are only seeing more and more problems. And yeah, I do have a problem with someone in San Francisco telling me that "I just need to learn how to live with grizz" in my backyard.

We've had adults come down from the Glacier NP/Bob Marshall Wilderness area (the heart of the Northern Continental Divide Ecosystem Recovery Area) and also west from the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem recovery areas into Wes-central MT right up to the ID/MT state line.

We've had them kill pigs on the farm behind our house.

Last edited:
Back