testtest

Bear Identification

BobM

Hellcat
A very good short descriptive article about identification of American black and brown bears from National Park Service. The article may help eliminate some confusion between them. It lists more than one way to identify the differences. There's also some other good companion articles about bears below main article.

which one is supposed to be the meanest?
1629662256816.jpeg

which one is supposed to be the meanest?
Brown bears are way bigger and more aggressive then a black bear.

We have black bear in my area and they typically shy away when they encounter people.

I've had a few close encounters with black bear and even one occasion with a mother and her cubs and there wasn't any issues though I would never take an encounter for granted as they are wild animals.

Last edited:
Brown bears are way bigger and more aggressive then a black bear.

We have black bear in my area and they typically shy away when they encounter people.

I've had a few close encounters with black bear and even one occasion with a mother and her cubs and there wasn't any issues though I would never take an encounter for granted as they are wild animals.
I was always under the assumption that the Grizzly Bear was the meanest?

I was always under the assumption that the Grizzly Bear was the meanest?
Grizzly and brown bear are the same thing it's just regional name like Kodiak are also a brown bear. There are differences in size and temperament between the different regional bears with grizzlies know to be slightly smaller but more aggressive.

It's like mountain lions, cougars, pumas, & panthers are all the same animal.

A short time ago there was another thread about bears and I offered these simple rules for when you're in bear country:

"Here's a couple simple rules to understand when in bear country ..................
1st - in any bear country, but especially brown bear/grizzly country always carry a noise maker IE: a whistle or small bell to alert the bears of your presents so as to not come up on them in surprise .................

2nd - Know how to tell the difference in what kinds of bears are likely in the area by the presents of bear scat ........... black bear scat will generally be a combination of grasses and berries. Griz scat will often contain bits of fur of smaller mammals and occasionally whistles and/or small bells. ;):)

And if/when all else fails and you and a friend have to make a run for it from either type of bear, don't be concerned whether or not you can outrun the bear, just be sure you can outrun your friend!!! ;):)"

You're welcome !!! (y)(y)(y)

A short time ago there was another thread about bears and I offered these simple rules for when you're in bear country:

"Here's a couple simple rules to understand when in bear country ..................
1st - in any bear country, but especially brown bear/grizzly country always carry a noise maker IE: a whistle or small bell to alert the bears of your presents so as to not come up on them in surprise .................

2nd - Know how to tell the difference in what kinds of bears are likely in the area by the presents of bear scat ........... black bear scat will generally be a combination of grasses and berries. Griz scat will often contain bits of fur of smaller mammals and occasionally whistles and/or small bells. ;):)

And if/when all else fails and you and a friend have to make a run for it from either type of bear, don't be concerned whether or not you can outrun the bear, just be sure you can outrun your friend!!! ;):)"

You're welcome !!! (y)(y)(y)
that's what friends are for....sacrificial lambs..!!!!

Back