testtest

Bedtime Configuration

C. Sumpin

Custom
We have many posts on CC; in auto, on the street, in the office, etc. and in the home.

My specific question is what preparations do you conclude the day with, when you "turn in"?

Does anyone pack on person while sleeping? On the nightstand? As a companion in the sack with you? In holster hanging from the mattress?

When I first returned from the Nam, it took a few years to "come down". Only way I could sleep was in total darkness, no "nightlights", even the tiny green/red light on the smoke detector had to be taped over. I still practice "light discipline", hate "security lights" and walk in the shadows. I like to see without being seen. Cracks in the curtains have to be pinned. When the BR door was opened all a person could see was a black hole. But they would be backlit and plainly visible to me. And blinded if I opted to activate my searchlight. Most difficult thing I tried to teach the ex was, that if she wanted to look outside, past the curtains, not to turn on any interior lights! And in those years I slept with my piece in hand with my finger inside the trigger guard.

Only thing has changed is that now I can rest without actually holding a firearm. I used to place my handgun on the night stand, covered with a washcloth yet strategically spotted so that the night sights would twinkle at me yet no one else could see them. Then, concerned that a person might see/grasp the piece while I slept, (age, don't sleep that light anymore, even snore an octave) have grown comfortable with the piece holstered and hanging from the side of the mattress, covered by a flap and out of view. Perhaps not many perps are going to check that spot. My muscle memory finds it in an instant. I touch it frequently through the night. I have also morphed from the AR on the floor beside the bed (floor frame bed design does not allow for under the bed) to the corner behind the door as more secure yet accessible.

What are you guys (and gals) doing and how can I improve my safety/readiness?

I can't imagine sleeping with a gun in hand, but can understand being in that state after what you went through in wartime.

I have my EDC's in a drawer in my nightstand, with the simplex lock pressed, ready for me to turn to the right and open the safe. I keep a tactical flashlight on the nightstand. At the moment an AR-15 I just finished building is leaning against my night stand as well.

If I am feeling uneasy, or just lazy at bedtime, there are times I have been known to sleep with the XD-M 3.8 or 5.25 on top of the nightstand, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

We have many posts on CC; in auto, on the street, in the office, etc. and in the home.

My specific question is what preparations do you conclude the day with, when you "turn in"?

Does anyone pack on person while sleeping? On the nightstand? As a companion in the sack with you? In holster hanging from the mattress?

When I first returned from the Nam, it took a few years to "come down". Only way I could sleep was in total darkness, no "nightlights", even the tiny green/red light on the smoke detector had to be taped over. I still practice "light discipline", hate "security lights" and walk in the shadows. I like to see without being seen. Cracks in the curtains have to be pinned. When the BR door was opened all a person could see was a black hole. But they would be backlit and plainly visible to me. And blinded if I opted to activate my searchlight. Most difficult thing I tried to teach the ex was, that if she wanted to look outside, past the curtains, not to turn on any interior lights! And in those years I slept with my piece in hand with my finger inside the trigger guard.

Only thing has changed is that now I can rest without actually holding a firearm. I used to place my handgun on the night stand, covered with a washcloth yet strategically spotted so that the night sights would twinkle at me yet no one else could see them. Then, concerned that a person might see/grasp the piece while I slept, (age, don't sleep that light anymore, even snore an octave) have grown comfortable with the piece holstered and hanging from the side of the mattress, covered by a flap and out of view. Perhaps not many perps are going to check that spot. My muscle memory finds it in an instant. I touch it frequently through the night. I have also morphed from the AR on the floor beside the bed (floor frame bed design does not allow for under the bed) to the corner behind the door as more secure yet accessible.

I have my Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 special in a Hornady Nightguard Safe in the bedroom.

When children were still in our home, I purchased a handgun safe that I bolted to the side of the bed. By placing four fingers on the pad and entering a code (simple code), the door would pop open and allow access to the firearm. There is even a very small/dim courtesy light inside that turns off after 10 or 15 seconds.

Now we are here without children and I just lay it on top of the safe. I folded a wash cloth and laid it on top of the safe to protect both surfaces.

I have found that in a home with multiple entries (i.e. windows and sliding doors), we both feel more safe now that we are essentially barricaded in our bedroom for night night time.

First off, thank you for your service.
I never was in the service or combat but I’ve been shot at more times than I’m ok with. Even prior to that though I’m not comfortable without a gun in arms reach of me. Ever. At least two are within reach of me while I sleep. And I am a ridiculously light sleeper and wake up often. Terrible nightmares every night.

When my kids were small it stayed in a quick access safe and I practiced the combo religiously. Now that they’re older it sits on top of the same safe. I recently got an MCK for the XDM 40 and it now also sits beside. The main 2 things I like about it are the wildly compact size but still stabilized and the spare mag holder onboard.

First off, thank you for your service.
I never was in the service or combat but I’ve been shot at more times than I’m ok with. Even prior to that though I’m not comfortable without a gun in arms reach of me. Ever. At least two are within reach of me while I sleep. And I am a ridiculously light sleeper and wake up often. Terrible nightmares every night.
I have a very similar experience to what your describing. I grew up in a nasty area having been shot at, sliced and stabbed in the hand on a couple of different occasions. There was always the threat of something kicking off in my neighborhood growing up with shootings being quite common at night.

Even after not living in that type of environment for almost 15 years I'm still a very light sleeper with the lightest sounds waking me up and having me check the cameras and looking outside most nights.

I have a few options from pistols, rifles, and shotguns available in multiple parts of my house in locked rapid safes.

Though I do keep this on the side of my bed nightly in case the bed bugs try and bite....😉

20210517_171129.jpg

Locations vary depending on needs. No young kids around. Always at least one loaded within reach.
That's why I said I keep my pistol by the bedside nightly after it comes out of a safe because I have preteens in the house and I don't keep anything openly accessible unsupervised even though my kids are well trained on firearms safety and handling and know how to shoot safely.

Like others noted @C. Sumpin , thanks for your service. I have a good buddy that flew dustoff in Nam, but I never served, as just before I turned 18, they stopped the draft. I'm also like you with lights, green (even barely lit), lights up the entire room and I can't sleep. I had to get rid of the green lit clock/radio and revert to red (which doesn't bother me especially on low dim). I sometimes had to put cardboard in the windows to keep the sunlight out, now wooden blinds with wide slots do the trick.
To get to the topic at hand though, I know I'll be called paranoid (which I probably am), but I have more weapons in my bedroom that you could ever imagine. Most in safes, or still in the cases that they came in (still need to find safes to put them in), but the ones that I have set up for any intruder(s) is as follows: one side of bed has 2 drawer night stand, both drawers contain bio-metric Sentry safes, which on top is my Hellcat EDC with 3 mags (one in gun, two fully loaded next to it), the S&W Shield 9mm (sometimes ankle holster EDC while in house), with 3 mags. A loaded Sig P365 currently in the ankel holster in the bottom drawer next to the shield. A Glock G20 (10mm) MCK standing next to nightstand (and by a throwing axe and machete), with two fully loaded mags (one in gun other in holder). A Glock G19 MCK with 2 fully loaded mags, 2 mattress holders on that side holding my Mossberg 590M Shockwave with 10 round mag (defensive low recoil 12 gauge 00 buckshot), and also my CZ Scorpion Micro with 20 round mag.
Other side of bed on top of a mini fridge, two pistol safes (Gunvault bio-metric and Hornady's Nightguard RFID safe (thanks Anni (@Annihilator )), which contain fully loaded pistols, each with one extra mag (a Glock G21 and S&W M&P 9mm 2.0). On that side of bed, 2 mattress holders holding a custom built 300 Blackout AR pistol with loaded 30 round 300 BO subsonic mag, with spare loaded mag under the bed, and behind that my Remington Tac 14 DM with a loaded 6 round mag (Defensive low recoil 12 gauge 00 buckshot) and another loaded mag under the bed. I also have several knives on a cabinet on that side and a machete hanging from a gun cabinet. I then have several loaded hand guns with loaded spare mags in safes that would required a bit of time to open if my locked door was busted down, hence why I keep the others more accessible. All the pistols have defensive rounds loaded with either Critical defense/duty or HST's. Both the Shockwave and Tac14 have the Crimson Trace Green laser sidesaddle making it a bit more accurate if fired from the hip (then if fired with out).
I also must state that there are no kids around and I live alone. If relatives with kids come over, the guns all get locked away, same goes if I go on and extended trip or something.

I have a very similar experience to what your describing. I grew up in a nasty area having been shot at, sliced and stabbed in the hand on a couple of different occasions. There was always the threat of something kicking off in my neighborhood growing up with shootings being quite common at night.

Even after not living in that type of environment for almost 15 years I'm still a very light sleeper with the lightest sounds waking me up and having me check the cameras and looking outside most nights.

I have a few options from pistols, rifles, and shotguns available in multiple parts of my house in locked rapid safes.

Though I do keep this on the side of my bed nightly in case the bed bugs try and bite....😉

View attachment 17526
"I have a very similar experience to what your describing. I grew up in a nasty area having been shot at, sliced and stabbed in the hand on a couple of different occasions. There was always the threat of something kicking off in my neighborhood growing up with shootings being quite common at night."

That's what happens when you get on the wrong side of Whitey Bulger and the Winter Hill Gang, who ran you out of Massachusetts (or so the rumor goes :unsure:) :p:LOL::ROFLMAO:

"I have a very similar experience to what your describing. I grew up in a nasty area having been shot at, sliced and stabbed in the hand on a couple of different occasions. There was always the threat of something kicking off in my neighborhood growing up with shootings being quite common at night."

That's what happens when you get on the wrong side of Whitey Bulger and the Winter Hill Gang, who ran you out of Massachusetts (or so the rumor goes :unsure:) :p:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Winter Hill in Somerville was only a 25min drive from me and I would go there sometimes because of a couple girls I knew that lived there and Charlestown which is right next door to Somerville

I also played paintball with James Bulgers right hand man Kevin Weeks and a few more of those guys once in Bridgewater, Ma a while back.

Winter Hill in Somerville was only a 25min drive from me and I would go there sometimes because of a couple girls I knew that lived there and Charlestown which is right next door to Somerville

I also played paintball with James Bulgers right hand man Kevin Weeks and a few of those guys once in Bridgewater, Ma a while back.
Was Steve "The Rifleman" Flemmi one of them? Did you shoot him? Was that why you ran 🏃‍♂️ to New Hampshire? I wouldn't blame you if you did!! 😁😆

Was Steve "The Rifleman" Flemmi one of them? Did you shoot him? Was that why you ran 🏃‍♂️ to New Hampshire? I wouldn't blame you if you did!! 😁😆
Nah he wasn't there...🤣

These guys weren't much of a threat to the average citizen and mostly got involved with people in their line of profession.

I'm only 45mins from Boston now which isn't really a long run....😜

A vast majority of the bad stuff that happened in my city was either gang or drug related.

Guys, I truly do not mean to be insolent, arrogant, impertinent, impudent, or in any other way insulting ...... but reading what some of you guys carry and/or keep at the ready in your homes in the daytime and bedrooms at night, I've got to ask just where in the world do some of y'all live????

I don't mean an address, just a simple description of the general area that would require all that much hardware to be close at hand. (y)(y)(y)o_O

Guys, I truly do not mean to be insolent, arrogant, impertinent, impudent, or in any other way insulting ...... but reading what some of you guys carry and/or keep at the ready in your homes in the daytime and bedrooms at night, I've got to ask just where in the world do some of y'all live????

I don't mean an address, just a simple description of the general area that would require all that much hardware to be close at hand. (y)(y)(y)o_O
I live in a nice town in New Hampshire with the state being in top 3 for lowest crime rates in the country but I've seen what bad people are capable of growing up in a not so nice place in Massachusetts so I take my family's security personal.

Plus I have a decent size collection (not quite @BET7 sized) so why not have a few available.

Last edited:

Let alone someplace to place to bed down for the night w/o something poking someplace odd? :)
Whatever fits and works best. Not all situations are same. Convenient and not prodding works for me....But, that's me.

Back