testtest

Bent Hellcat Trigger Guard

In some thread a few days ago, I read a quick take on someone advising against using some particular cleaner/lubricant/or other product on polymer due to it will degrade the polymer somehow. I took note and even wrote it down, but can't find it. Can anybody here refresh my poor memory?

Thought it was in this thread, but obviously isn't. An y help here ..... anyone.... anyone?

In some thread a few days ago, I read a quick take on someone advising against using some particular cleaner/lubricant/or other product on polymer due to it will degrade the polymer somehow. I took note and even wrote it down, but can't find it. Can anybody here refresh my poor memory?

Thought it was in this thread, but obviously isn't. An y help here ..... anyone.... anyone?
@jumpinjoe,
JJ, It in the following Thread posted by Okie.:

".... Just remember that those “Blast off” or Gun Scrubber sprays are for metal parts only. They will degrade the poly frames/grips. "

There’s been a couple posts on polymer, you don’t want to use Gun Scrubber or any other product that’s similar to it, it will deteriorate the polymer.

There’s been a couple posts on polymer, you don’t want to use Gun Scrubber or any other product that’s similar to it, it will deteriorate the polymer.
Anybody know what the offending ingredient in these products might be? Just curious, that's all.

And thanks to you as well Anni. (y) I was tellin' the wife and kids at breakfast just this morning that I knew some of you would come through with good info.

The foul ingredient is the solvent itself in the aerosol. Brake fluid, gasoline, paint thinner. These things basically eat plastics and polymers if they aren't HD polyethylene. (what plastic gas cans and such are made of).
If the plastic or polymer is soft, it will be damaged by hydrocarbon and synthetic solvents. Even acetone can damage a polymer gun's outer frame/grips.

Good Morning,

Just an update for y’all, I took a heat gun to the trigger guard and was able to bend it back in place. It’s not perfect, but it will do. Thanks for the feedback!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 210
@jumpinjoe,
JJ, It in the following Thread posted by Okie.:

".... Just remember that those “Blast off” or Gun Scrubber sprays are for metal parts only. They will degrade the poly frames/grips. "

I can't help but worry about this since I don't want to hurt my new Hellcat. I had never heard of this till now, but then I hadn't bought a new gun in many years till the Hellcat, and nothing with any poly parts that I'm aware of. So, my question is this ..... are there any products other than these two to steer clear of? I think what the issue for me is if we don't know the actual chemical ingredient in these two that wreak the havoc on poly firearms, how do we identify which other ones (other than these two) to pass on?

Almost don't have a choice since you cannot back off the tension if its bent and still have any retention....argh!

Still glad I came across this thread sooner than later, just think what would happen if it bent enough to affect the trigger...

Almost don't have a choice since you cannot back off the tension if its bent and still have any retention....argh!

Still glad I came across this thread sooner than later, just think what would happen if it bent enough to affect the trigger...
Here's a suggestion for you. Tighten the crosstip screws on the face of the holster to increase pressure across the entire pistol and see if that helps. It works for me with my XD-M Elite.

Back