testtest

Beretta APX Centurion 9mm

I found a very good deal on this handgun this weekend. This isn't the handgun at the top of my list but it's in the top ten. I've held one before but never actually shot one. Since the price was right, I went ahead and ordered it, it should be here later this week. Has anyone shot the APX or own one? all reviews seem pretty positive and just about every review has stated it's a very accurate handgun right out of the box. What say you fellow gun owners? Thanks for any info. I must admit, I have a soft spot for Beretta, the first handgun I ever bought on my own was a Beretta 92FS back in.....1992 if memory serves. It was a Cadillac of a 9mm, I put thousands of rounds thru it, never jammed, very nice 9mm....which much to my chagrin I ended up selling around 1994. Always told myself I'd buy another Beretta someday...

1628514542737.png

I've owned a Centurion for a month. Outstanding pistol. After initial clean and lube ran 30 rounds for a function check, pistol felt great, accurate, low felt recoil. Picked up a competition striker spring and extended mag release from Beretta along with a Black Scorpion IDPA holster. Shot a local match this past weekend and was overall winner. I've found a new CCP pistol for IDPA.

I have the Centurion Ghost. It was listed as the compact at my LGS, since their compact model wasn’t yet on the market, so at that time, the Centurion was their smallest model. But, like Sig’s P320, the trigger assembly firing controls (FCU as it’s known in the P320), can be removed and placed in a different grip module. Since the Centurion & now released compact share the same barrel and slide length, I went ahead and got the compact grip (around $40 give or take back then), but I haven’t yet change it. The difference between the two besides the grip modules, is the centurion holds 15 rounds vs 13 rounds for the compact.
For Beretta‘s first attempt into the polymer handgun market (I think it might have been a candidate for the Army’s contract the P320 won), it a fine shooting firearm (I haven’t fired many rounds, just 1 or 2 trips to the range so far). I like they way it feels, and once I change the grip modules to compact, it could be a candidate for my EDC (although the Centurion could also be an EDC in the same mold as Glock G19).
Below is a link of Scooth00‘s review of the Centurion, if it’s the same one I watch when I bought mine, he also shows how to remove the trigger assembly to swap grip modules. It’s not as easy as the Sig P320, but doesn’t look too complicated. A spring has to be unhooked first to remove the assembly from the old grip, and reattached once in the new grip module.
Hopefully this uTube link will display here, if not, search for Scooth00 APX Centurion review to find it. Hope this helps, and good luck with the new APX. I believe @10mmLife has the APX Carry model which is their single stack 6-8 round subcompact that was introduced after their compact introduction. It’s another one on my short list, perhaps he can tell you how he likes that model if he ever returns from hiding from us here on the forum instead of tending his chickens in the coop 24/7 🙄😄😂

I've owned a Centurion for a month. Outstanding pistol. After initial clean and lube ran 30 rounds for a function check, pistol felt great, accurate, low felt recoil. Picked up a competition striker spring and extended mag release from Beretta along with a Black Scorpion IDPA holster. Shot a local match this past weekend and was overall winner. I've found a new CCP pistol for IDPA.
Wow! Thank you for the reference, I very much appreciate it. Did you leave the stock sights on it or go with an after market set?

I have the Centurion Ghost. It was listed as the compact at my LGS, since their compact model wasn’t yet on the market, so at that time, the Centurion was their smallest model. But, like Sig’s P320, the trigger assembly firing controls (FCU as it’s known in the P320), can be removed and placed in a different grip module. Since the Centurion & now released compact share the same barrel and slide length, I went ahead and got the compact grip (around $40 give or take back then), but I haven’t yet change it. The difference between the two besides the grip modules, is the centurion holds 15 rounds vs 13 rounds for the compact.
For Beretta‘s first attempt into the polymer handgun market (I think it might have been a candidate for the Army’s contract the P320 won), it a fine shooting firearm (I haven’t fired many rounds, just 1 or 2 trips to the range so far). I like they way it feels, and once I change the grip modules to compact, it could be a candidate for my EDC (although the Centurion could also be an EDC in the same mold as Glock G19).
Below is a link of Scooth00‘s review of the Centurion, if it’s the same one I watch when I bought mine, he also shows how to remove the trigger assembly to swap grip modules. It’s not as easy as the Sig P320, but doesn’t look too complicated. A spring has to be unhooked first to remove the assembly from the old grip, and reattached once in the new grip module.
Hopefully this uTube link will display here, if not, search for Scooth00 APX Centurion review to find it. Hope this helps, and good luck with the new APX. I believe @10mmLife has the APX Carry model which is their single stack 6-8 round subcompact that was introduced after their compact introduction. It’s another one on my short list, perhaps he can tell you how he likes that model if he ever returns from hiding from us here on the forum instead of tending his chickens in the coop 24/7 🙄😄😂

Thank you sir. That's one of the several reviews I watched. I usually try to see what Scooth00 has to say about a handgun. In most videos it seemed to shoot very flat, absorbing the recoil very well.

Thank you sir. That's one of the several reviews I watched. I usually try to see what Scooth00 has to say about a handgun. In most videos it seemed to shoot very flat, absorbing the recoil very well.
No problem Ghost, my pleasure. I have several Berettas besides the APX, including the 92FS Compact (also 92A1, 92A3, M9, 92X, 92X Performance, and PX4 Storm in 40 Cal.). I enjoy them all.

No problem Ghost, my pleasure. I have several Berettas besides the APX, including the 92FS Compact (also 92A1, 92A3, M9, 92X, 92X Performance, and PX4 Storm in 40 Cal.). I enjoy them all.
Wow. I've always been a fan of Beretta handguns. Someday I'm going to purchase another 92FS if I can find one from the early 90's. That was one of the smoothest shooting handguns I've ever had. I had the 92FS and my best friend has a Ruger P89, we use to go shoot all the time, both were nice handguns but my Beretta was a Cadillac of a handgun. I'd love to have that one back for sure.

How does the PX4 Storm handle? I love the style of Storm, I've handled a couple but never shot one.

Wow. I've always been a fan of Beretta handguns. Someday I'm going to purchase another 92FS if I can find one from the early 90's. That was one of the smoothest shooting handguns I've ever had. I had the 92FS and my best friend has a Ruger P89, we use to go shoot all the time, both were nice handguns but my Beretta was a Cadillac of a handgun. I'd love to have that one back for sure.

How does the PX4 Storm handle? I love the style of Storm, I've handled a couple but never shot one.
It handles good. I think the medal frame reduces the felt recoil somewhat for the 40. I decide for the 40, as I don't have a lot of my firearms chambered in that caliber. Although the Storm is compact, it's still larger and heavier than my S&W PC ported Sheild 40, with less felt recoil. I have the PC ported Shields in 9, 40 and 45, with the 40 being the most snappy of the 3.

It handles good. I think the medal frame reduces the felt recoil somewhat for the 40. I decide for the 40, as I don't have a lot of my firearms chambered in that caliber. Although the Storm is compact, it's still larger and heavier than my S&W PC ported Sheild 40, with less felt recoil. I have the PC ported Shields in 9, 40 and 45, with the 40 being the most snappy of the 3.
Definitely agree, the .40 definitely has some snap to it. The only .40 cal I have left is my retired Gen 3 Glock 22. It's retired with full honors in my gun closet, I lost track at around 5k rounds of how many rounds have been thru it with no FTE or FTF malfunctions. I used to use it for IDPA competition back when .40 S&W was all the rage. Never was that good of a shot with .40 cal but had a lot of fun shooting it.

Stock sights but I'm looking for Fiber Optic front.
I've had my APX Centurion for a few months. I'm impressed by everything about the gun, except the sights. I've done 90% of my own sight-swaps over the years without issue, but I couldn't get the front sight on the Centurion to budge.

I took the Centurion to my gunsmith, and he immediately warned me that APX sights fit extremely tight, and often break when anyone attempts to adjust them. Sure enough, the front snapped when he attempted to insert the licensed Ameriglo front sight I ordered from Beretta. Ameriglo sent a new sight, which was installed without breaking at no charge. Unfortunately, the tritium has already stopped working after 6-weeks, so I will be starting the whole process over.

My gunsmith has been in business for years, and I have never heard anything negative about his work. I like the way the APX shoots, and am impressed with the quality of everything but the sights. I would advise anyone thinking about swapping sights to be prepared. I insist on fiber-optics or night sights on any gun that I may eventually carry. Had I known about the sight-swapping nightmare ahead of time, I would've passed on the APX.

I've had my APX Centurion for a few months. I'm impressed by everything about the gun, except the sights. I've done 90% of my own sight-swaps over the years without issue, but I couldn't get the front sight on the Centurion to budge.

I took the Centurion to my gunsmith, and he immediately warned me that APX sights fit extremely tight, and often break when anyone attempts to adjust them. Sure enough, the front snapped when he attempted to insert the licensed Ameriglo front sight I ordered from Beretta. Ameriglo sent a new sight, which was installed without breaking at no charge. Unfortunately, the tritium has already stopped working after 6-weeks, so I will be starting the whole process over.

My gunsmith has been in business for years, and I have never heard anything negative about his work. I like the way the APX shoots, and am impressed with the quality of everything but the sights. I would advise anyone thinking about swapping sights to be prepared. I insist on fiber-optics or night sights on any gun that I may eventually carry. Had I known about the sight-swapping nightmare ahead of time, I would've passed on the APX.
I very much appreciate your information. That definitely gives me something to think about. I always install either fiber optic or night sights on any handgun I purchases, the last two getting the combo night/fiber optic type of sights so I'll have to think that one over. I saw a set of sights on the Beretta site called "Spartans" but I don't know much about them. Please let me know what you end up going with, I'm interested to see if you're able to get a decent set of sights on the APX.

I very much appreciate your information. That definitely gives me something to think about. I always install either fiber optic or night sights on any handgun I purchases, the last two getting the combo night/fiber optic type of sights so I'll have to think that one over. I saw a set of sights on the Beretta site called "Spartans" but I don't know much about them. Please let me know what you end up going with, I'm interested to see if you're able to get a decent set of sights on the APX.
Ameriglo has the official license from Beretta. I'm certain that they will send another front sight for free, but I'm concerned about their build quality. My only other Beretta is a PX4 Storm Compact, and the licensed Beretta night sights that I put on that gun have never given me a problem.

The Beretta Gallery store is a little less than an hour from my home. I plan to make the drive soon and see what the in-house Beretta armorer recommends. All companies produce the occasional lemon, so I'll give Ameriglo another shot if Beretta's official armorer recommends the licensed sights. If he recommends something else for the APX line, I'll post an update.

I feel bad not recommending the APX without any disclaimers, because I find it to be a sweet shooter and I like the Beretta company. I highly recommend the APX line to shooters who prefer stock sights. The standard 3-dot setup isn't bad, and beats the Glock "Field Goal" format, but I'm just a stickler about having low-light capable sights on anything that I may carry or use for home defense.

Ameriglo has the official license from Beretta. I'm certain that they will send another front sight for free, but I'm concerned about their build quality. My only other Beretta is a PX4 Storm Compact, and the licensed Beretta night sights that I put on that gun have never given me a problem.

The Beretta Gallery store is a little less than an hour from my home. I plan to make the drive soon and see what the in-house Beretta armorer recommends. All companies produce the occasional lemon, so I'll give Ameriglo another shot if Beretta's official armorer recommends the licensed sights. If he recommends something else for the APX line, I'll post an update.

I feel bad not recommending the APX without any disclaimers, because I find it to be a sweet shooter and I like the Beretta company. I highly recommend the APX line to shooters who prefer stock sights. The standard 3-dot setup isn't bad, and beats the Glock "Field Goal" format, but I'm just a stickler about having low-light capable sights on anything that I may carry or use for home defense.
Hopefully it was just a lemon. I don't have any Ameriglo sights on my handguns, I've had very good luck with the TRUGLO TFX series of sights. I have a set of Rival Arms tritium/fiber optic sights on my Taurus G3C and they're very nice sights but for the most part I use the TRUGLO sights. I'll have to do some research on which sights I want to go with once my APX comes in later this week. To be honest, I'm pretty stoked to own another Beretta handgun, I've wanted one for a long time. It was the acme of stupidity to get rid of my 92FS all those years ago, I really wish I had thought that one through a little more...lol

I took the Centurion to my gunsmith, and he immediately warned me that APX sights fit extremely tight, and often break when anyone attempts to adjust them. Sure enough, the front snapped when he attempted to insert the licensed Ameriglo front sight I ordered from Beretta. Ameriglo sent a new sight, which was installed without breaking at no charge.

I would assume it was an error by the gunsmith and a slight irregularity to the dovetail and not specifically an issue with the Ameriglo sight. Ameriglo uses a softer metal. If using a pusher with force against the side of their sight it can snap off if the blade gets hung up in the dovetail.

Filing the sides of the front sight blades to the exact angle of the dovetail and slightly rounding the corners of the leading edge will prevent this from happening. A local gunsmith uses this method when using Ameriglo or Trijicon sights on a Springfield or Beretta. They then tap them with custom punches that push the edge of the blade rather than pressing against the main body of the sight.

Lets just say a certain somebody ran into a similar problem but now leaves it to the pros. I appreciated that they took the time to show me their process.

Ok, got my Beretta APX Centurion in yesterday. I forgot how nice of a case Beretta packs their handguns in, very nice hard case. The handgun almost seemed to be pre-oiled, didn't feel like packing grease or anything but I went ahead and cleaned it just in case. Very impressive ergonomics, three backstraps, it comes with the medium sized one installed but that was a bit too much swell for me so I ended up installing the small one which made the pistol almost LEAP into my hand....ok, maybe it didn't LEAP, but it was very comfortable to hold. I went ahead and ordered some Talon grips to go on it, but overall it's a really nice handgun. I'll have to get some tritium/fiber optic sights to go on it at some point but for now I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin sometime in the next couple of weeks. To be honest, it's just nice to have a new member to the gun closet...lol. I even had a IWB holster that fit the Beretta, which was just dumb luck. I ordered a JM4 Tactical holster a few months ago for another handgun but I didn't think it fit as well as it should, so I put it up and it ended up fitting the Beretta very well. I very much like the finish on the Beretta, the slide has almost a grayish-blue tint to it which looks very nice. It cleaned up very well and looks very nice all in all. It's definitely got a different design to it, but I know Beretta makes good quality handguns so I'm confident it will be a good addition.

Attachments

• Beretta1.jpg
    Beretta1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Beretta2.jpg
    Beretta2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 190
Ok, got my Beretta APX Centurion in yesterday. I forgot how nice of a case Beretta packs their handguns in, very nice hard case. The handgun almost seemed to be pre-oiled, didn't feel like packing grease or anything but I went ahead and cleaned it just in case. Very impressive ergonomics, three backstraps, it comes with the medium sized one installed but that was a bit too much swell for me so I ended up installing the small one which made the pistol almost LEAP into my hand....ok, maybe it didn't LEAP, but it was very comfortable to hold. I went ahead and ordered some Talon grips to go on it, but overall it's a really nice handgun. I'll have to get some tritium/fiber optic sights to go on it at some point but for now I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin sometime in the next couple of weeks. To be honest, it's just nice to have a new member to the gun closet...lol. I even had a IWB holster that fit the Beretta, which was just dumb luck. I ordered a JM4 Tactical holster a few months ago for another handgun but I didn't think it fit as well as it should, so I put it up and it ended up fitting the Beretta very well. I very much like the finish on the Beretta, the slide has almost a grayish-blue tint to it which looks very nice. It cleaned up very well and looks very nice all in all. It's definitely got a different design to it, but I know Beretta makes good quality handguns so I'm confident it will be a good addition.

Agreed about their nice cases, but I was shocked 😮 at the case my Beretta 92X Performance came In. TSA approved three digit tumbler lock with spring latch release. Hard case with plenty of protective foam for transport. They really out did themself with this case imho.

1628873132385.jpeg

Agreed about their nice cases, but I was shocked 😮 at the case my Beretta 92X Performance came In. TSA approved three digit tumbler lock with spring latch release. Hard case with plenty of protective foam for transport. They really out did themself with this case imho.

View attachment 19770
Wow, that's like a James Bond type gun case..lol. I'm betting that 92X Performance is pretty nice also?

Wow, that's like a James Bond type gun case..lol. I'm betting that 92X Performance is pretty nice also?
It is. I saw reviews that it’s comparable to the CZ Shadow 2 Orange that I also have. They’re out of the box race guns, although I’m not a competitive shooter. I just wanted to add them into my collection.
But nice going on getting the APX. I’m sure you’ll like it as much as I like mine.

Back