testtest

Best .380 ACP Self Defense Ammo for Pocket Carry

LicensedToPill

Operator
I don’t want this to be a discussion about caliber. I carry IWB everyday, but there are some occasions where that is not an option. I’m looking to get a pocket gun for concealed carry for the times I may need to conceal in my pants pocket or blazer. I am 5’6” and 150 lbs. In order to pocket carry, I need a gun that is less than 6 inches in length and 4 inches or less in height. This essentially leaves me with a .380 ACP, and I am looking to get the Springfield 911 or S&W Bodyguard. I am undecided between the self defense ammo. Personally, I have been looking at either Federal LE 99 Grain HST JHP, or Hornady Critical Defense 90 Grain Flex Tip. I also understand with the barrel length of the pocket gun, expansion may be an issue. What are your opinions/recommendations on .380 ACP self defense ammo?

Last edited:
Imo I would get an LCP II for pocket carry.
I would be a little bit concerned about either carrying a 911 cocked and locked in a pocket or having to rack the slide when drawing the firearm from the pocket.
I don't know much other than what I read, but I would like one.

Imo I would get an LCP II for pocket carry.
I would be a little bit concerned about either carrying a 911 cocked and locked in a pocket or having to rack the slide when drawing the firearm from the pocket.
I don't know much other than what I read, but I would like one.
Great point! I was also considering the S&W Bodyguard for that same reason.

I looked at the S&W Bodyguard .380 in the past, and have not heard too many good reviews of it to be honest. If size permits, I would consider the S&W EZ Shield .380, and if not, the Ruger LC380, and the Ruger LCP and LCP II as well. I carry a Ruger LCP with Lasermax in a Desantis Superfly pocket holster any time I am not carrying my Springfield XDM Compact.

My daughter is 5'1" and 105lb, and carries the Ruger LC380. She had recoil issues with my LCP - a 9oz gun was just too light, and she limp wristed it and had failures to feed. She had the same issues with the LC9s, but the LC380 worked well for her.

I looked at the S&W Bodyguard .380 in the past, and have not heard too many good reviews of it to be honest. If size permits, I would consider the S&W EZ Shield .380, and if not, the Ruger LC380, and the Ruger LCP and LCP II as well. I carry a Ruger LCP with Lasermax in a Desantis Superfly pocket holster any time I am not carrying my Springfield XDM Compact.

My daughter is 5'1" and 105lb, and carries the Ruger LC380. She had recoil issues with my LCP - a 9oz gun was just too light, and she limp wristed it and had failures to feed. She had the same issues with the LC9s, but the LC380 worked well for her.
Thank you for your help! I will definitely look into the LC380 now.

For 380acp ammo, over the past 10 years, I've been carrying Federal Hydrashock, and more recently purchased Hornady Critical Defense for my daughter to carry.

Im roughly the same size, and have had a bodyguard. I loved it. However, be aware of the slide, it has a tendency to cut your hand. Recoil is similar to that of a full size 1911. Ive gone to a P938 the recoil seems to be more manageable and the trigger is wonderful in comparison.
For the S&W i recommend Hornady Critical Defense.

Its a great little gun, very accurate. Placed a target at 100ft just for grins and all shots stayed in the torso. However, i think the recoil on the P938 is better along with the ballistics.
The P238 is also great. In comparison to the BG the recoil feels like 1/2 of what the BG puts out.
The Ruger has a brutal recoil in comparison to the Sigs (IMHO). Make sure it is a gen2 as gen1 does not stay open on an empty mag. On a side note a friend of mine just got a gen1 for $75. If forced to choose between S&W and Ruger I would go with S&W. My biggest problem was the laser buttons getting too soft when warmed. Otherwise its a great little gun, but I prefer the P938, I would definitely try the SA 911. If its like the P238 recoil is decent, not to mention G10 trigger & grips.

Im roughly the same size, and have had a bodyguard. I loved it. However, be aware of the slide, it has a tendency to cut your hand. Recoil is similar to that of a full size 1911. Ive gone to a P938 the recoil seems to be more manageable and the trigger is wonderful in comparison.
For the S&W i recommend Hornady Critical Defense.

Its a great little gun, very accurate. Placed a target at 100ft just for grins and all shots stayed in the torso. However, i think the recoil on the P938 is better along with the ballistics.
The P238 is also great. In comparison to the BG the recoil feels like 1/2 of what the BG puts out.
The Ruger has a brutal recoil in comparison to the Sigs (IMHO). Make sure it is a gen2 as gen1 does not stay open on an empty mag. On a side note a friend of mine just got a gen1 for $75. If forced to choose between S&W and Ruger I would go with S&W. My biggest problem was the laser buttons getting too soft when warmed. Otherwise its a great little gun, but I prefer the P938, I would definitely try the SA 911. If its like the P238 recoil is decent, not to mention G10 trigger & grips.
Great to know! Thank you!

Here is a good gel test on the Hornady XTP 90 gr ammo. This is what I carry in my LCP II . --->

Here is the wrap up to his .380 ammo testing. --->

The .380 doesn't have the punch that many other rounds do ( 9mm , .40 , .45 acp ect.... ) so you don't want a round that will expand a great amount. An example would be the Fed. HST which performs great in the 9mm and above but it doesn't have much penetration in .380 because it does expand so quickly.

Check out some of his other tests.

I also use a DeSantis Super Fly pocket holster. The flap completely covers the outline of the pistol.

Here is a good gel test on the Hornady XTP 90 gr ammo. This is what I carry in my LCP II . --->

Here is the wrap up to his .380 ammo testing. --->

The .380 doesn't have the punch that many other rounds do ( 9mm , .40 , .45 acp ect.... ) so you don't want a round that will expand a great amount. An example would be the Fed. HST which performs great in the 9mm and above but it doesn't have much penetration in .380 because it does expand so quickly.

Check out some of his other tests.

I also use a DeSantis Super Fly pocket holster. The flap completely covers the outline of the pistol.
Thank you!!

However, be aware of the slide, it has a tendency to cut your hand. Recoil is similar to that of a full size 1911.

That is the negative comment I've seen more than once about the S&W Bodyguard - it has a tendency to "bite".

I agree that the LCP and LCP II are pretty snappy shooting guns - that is why my daughter is carrying the LC380. For me though, I can manage the LCP. I don't shoot it for fun - I only shoot it for training purposes though. Any other gun I have is nicer to shoot than the LCP, but nothing conceals like that little pistol.

That is the negative comment I've seen more than once about the S&W Bodyguard - it has a tendency to "bite".

I agree that the LCP and LCP II are pretty snappy shooting guns - that is why my daughter is carrying the LC380. For me though, I can manage the LCP. I don't shoot it for fun - I only shoot it for training purposes though. Any other gun I have is nicer to shoot than the LCP, but nothing conceals like that little pistol.
Its funny, because I never 'got bit'. It was only others, it must have known.

I think that the Bodyguard may be a slightly easier shooting gun than the LCP due to the extra 3 ounces or so off mass. The grip seems a little wider too. The LCP may be slightly easier to conceal, as it is a little thinner and more rounded, but all in all, they are very similar in size.

The LC380 is bigger than the Bodyguard or LCP/LCP II, but way smaller than something than the S&W EZ380.

I bought and installed one of these on my LCP II and it made shooting it much more enjoyable. They come in several colors.

I basically concur with the previous, and have experience with the Bodyguard and both LCP models. For myself, they're just no pleasure to shoot. I fully understand your intended application, but if "shootability" is important to you, the 911 is a gem! Also, in my opinion, the Federal and Hornady ammo choices are right on. Good shooting.

I carried an AMT Back-Up .380 ACP for years as an off duty. It held 6 rounds and had a grip safety. I quit carrying it after shooting into a 4" foam block and not penetrating it at a range of a few feet. I understand from friends that still carry one that the ammunition is much better at present. I will still stick with a minimum of 9 MM in autos and .38 SPL in revolvers for EDC. Just my 2 cents. :)

I think some of us derailed the discussion of ammo with discussion of various pistols. Sorry about that! I re-read the original post, and of those two pistols mentioned, I like the 911 best. For ammo though, while I stand by Federal and Hornady, today was the first time I realized there were some new 9mm rounds oriented towards shorter barrels.

if you are looking at the SA 911, the dimensions on the 380 versus 9mm are really close... just saying! ;) Now I want a 911 to replace my LCP, wish I hadn’t seen this, haha.

Back