testtest

Best .380 ACP Self Defense Ammo for Pocket Carry

I don’t want this to be a discussion about caliber. I carry IWB everyday, but there are some occasions where that is not an option. I’m looking to get a pocket gun for concealed carry for the times I may need to conceal in my pants pocket or blazer. I am 5’6” and 150 lbs. In order to pocket carry, I need a gun that is less than 6 inches in length and 4 inches or less in height. This essentially leaves me with a .380 ACP, and I am looking to get the Springfield 911 or S&W Bodyguard. I am undecided between the self defense ammo. Personally, I have been looking at either Federal LE 99 Grain HST JHP, or Hornady Critical Defense 90 Grain Flex Tip. I also understand with the barrel length of the pocket gun, expansion may be an issue. What are your opinions/recommendations on .380 ACP self defense ammo?
Also, check out the Kahr cw380. Nice dao trigger perfect for pocket carry.

I've carried a .380 acp as a backup, or as a pocket carry when my wardrobe forbids other options, for years. I recommend either the Ruger LCP II or the Springfield 911 for everyday carry. I've found .380 acp's to be ammo picky, but often in unexpected ways. My LCP II took a good deal of break-in before it would reliably run Speer Gold Dot JHP, but it ran the much cheaper Academy brand Monarch JHP from the start. I'm perfectly willing to pay more for quality defensive ammo, but I have been really impressed with the Monarch JHP. It's brass-cased and you can pick up a 50 round box for less than the price of a 20 round box of the more popular defensive ammo brands. The only hard part is finding it in stock, but that's true for most .380 ammo these days.

Back