testtest

Best beginner set up?

KLGunner

Staff member
Hey y’all for those who are wanting to get into the reloading side of things what do you recommend for starting out gear wise? Links are great if buyable online.

I would want to know the number of different rounds will you be loading and how many per month.
Light loader, single stage rock chucker. (couple hundred rounds a month) 2 or 3 cals
Med to heavy, turret press (Thousands of rounds) more than three cals.
Extra heavy loader needs to look at a Dillion!!

I started back shooting and repurchased all the gear. Turret press, scale, drop charger, dies, trimmer, tumbler and
bunch of other tools. About $1500 investment. That was in March, according to my calculations reloading over
factory bought I was even in November. Mind you now I shoot 5 days a week. Several cannons along with EDC and
had family members firing too.

I really like RCBS, Lyman and Hornady. For a starter I'd look at MidwayUSA.com
Get complete set up.

Get lots of reloading manuals. Lots of them. Get data from online too.
Here's the catch.... Your about to load a round, manual A says X amount of powder.
Now look it up in a couple more places. Misprints happen and overcharging the powder you don't want to do.

Reagan said it best: "Trust, but Verify!"

Equipment Links:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013036427?pid=828368
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101962221?pid=544156

Midway has always done right for me and loves my credit card!!

I'll straighten up my bench and take some pictures.

The Lyman reloading manual is great as it has most everything you need to know to get you
started.

Reloading is safe, cost effective and fun. Like driving though, you have to stay tuned in to what you are
doing and not allow distractions.

Now read all the posts that are in this thread as there is a lot I haven't covered.

I would want to know the number of different rounds will you be loading and how many per month.
Light loader, single stage rock chucker. (couple hundred rounds a month) 2 or 3 cals
Med to heavy, turret press (Thousands of rounds) more than three cals.
Extra heavy loader needs to look at a Dillion!!

I started back shooting and repurchased all the gear. Turret press, scale, drop charger, dies, trimmer, tumbler and
bunch of other tools. About $1500 investment. That was in March, according to my calculations reloading over
factory bought I was even in November. Mind you now I shoot 5 days a week. Several cannons along with EDC and
had family members firing too.

I really like RCBS, Lyman and Hornady. For a starter I'd look at MidwayUSA.com
Get complete set up.

Get lots of reloading manuals. Lots of them. Get data from online too.
Here's the catch.... Your about to load a round, manual A says X amount of powder.
Now look it up in a couple more places. Misprints happen and overcharging the powder you don't want to do.

Reagan said it best: "Trust, but Verify!"

Equipment Links:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013036427?pid=828368
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101962221?pid=544156

Midway has always done right for me and loves my credit card!!

I'll straighten up my bench and take some pictures.

The Lyman reloading manual is great as it has most everything you need to know to get you
started.

Reloading is safe, cost effective and fun. Like driving though, you have to stay tuned in to what you are
doing and not allow distractions.

Now read all the posts that are in this thread as there is a lot I haven't covered.
Thanks SMSgtRod, that was great information for someone like me that would eventually like to reload. I've bought a lot of gun gear from Midway, and that should make me a partner with Larry Potterfield! Right now though, I'm too busy Gun collecting ;)

Thanks SMSgtRod, that was great information for someone like me that would eventually like to reload. I've bought a lot of gun gear from Midway, and that should make me a partner with Larry Potterfield! Right now though, I'm too busy Gun collecting ;)
Still just scratching the surface... there's more....believe me there's more.... but it's easy to pick up on.
You have to get started first.

I got a great deal on a little used Dillon Square Deal B from a co-worker years ago and that got me started. Check the classifieds from time to time, you can find some great deals if you are persistent.

I got a great deal on a little used Dillon Square Deal B from a co-worker years ago and that got me started. Check the classifieds from time to time, you can find some great deals if you are persistent.
That's a great unit but I think a bit much for a beginner. As I recall that press only does straight walled cases so
it's not capable of rifle reloading.
I know a reloader that has a Dillon 550 up for grabs. If I were going into production I guess I'd jump on it,
but even as much as I reload I think I'll stick wit my turrets.

That's a great unit but I think a bit much for a beginner. As I recall that press only does straight walled cases so
it's not capable of rifle reloading.
I know a reloader that has a Dillon 550 up for grabs. If I were going into production I guess I'd jump on it,
but even as much as I reload I think I'll stick wit my turrets.
I have 2 550s and 1 is 36 years old, still churning. A lee classic or beach loader I also have and has done well. It was either from midway or mid south. You can check graf also for deals.

Last edited:
I am a fan of progressive presses. When I reload, its usually using a known formula and its just to crank out as many rounds in the shortest amount of time (within safety and normal checks of course) so that I can use my spare time shooting and not loading. I have had both Lee and Hornady progressives. I was not happy with how finicky and fiddly the Hornady was. I will be replacing it with a Dillon, probably a 750 in the near future.

I am a fan of progressive presses. When I reload, its usually using a known formula and its just to crank out as many rounds in the shortest amount of time (within safety and normal checks of course) so that I can use my spare time shooting and not loading. I have had both Lee and Hornady progressives. I was not happy with how finicky and fiddly the Hornady was. I will be replacing it with a Dillon, probably a 750 in the near future.
I have 2 550s.

Let’s say someone like me. I have 4 calibers. 6.5 Creedmore, .45acp, 9mm, 357 & 38 special.
How many rounds you need to load per month? I load thousands a month and get along fine with my turrets.
Progressive is expensive so you have a longer ROI. I have always been leery of the set up and timing issues with
the units. But that's me.

On the other hand I wouldn't want to be loading the powder scoops, powder measure is a must.

How many rounds you need to load per month? I load thousands a month and get along fine with my turrets.
Progressive is expensive so you have a longer ROI. I have always been leery of the set up and timing issues with
the units. But that's me.

On the other hand I wouldn't want to be loading the powder scoops, powder measure is a must.
I’d say about 1500 9mm’s and about 500 of everything else. Per month.

Sounds like SMSgtRod has given some good advice. I have four or five presses and 37 sets of dies in the reloading shed. Have everything from single stage presses to progressive. I started out first with a Lee Hand Loader for .38 SPL and .357 Mag back shortly after they were still throwing rocks at each other. :) Have dies for just about every firearm I own although don't do as much reloading now as I used to.

Sounds like SMSgtRod has given some good advice. I have four or five presses and 37 sets of dies in the reloading shed. Have everything from single stage presses to progressive. I started out first with a Lee Hand Loader for .38 SPL and .357 Mag back shortly after they were still throwing rocks at each other. :) Have dies for just about every firearm I own although don't do as much reloading now as I used to.
A Rockchucker is great for a beginner but you'll spend a lot of time changing dies. Progressive if you're in to mass
production. Turret is nice as you can get a couple heads and load up all your dies. I have 5 heads for my RCBS six
hole and 3 heads for the Lyman with 8 holes.

A Rockchucker is great for a beginner but you'll spend a lot of time changing dies. Progressive if you're in to mass
production. Turret is nice as you can get a couple heads and load up all your dies. I have 5 heads for my RCBS six
hole and 3 heads for the Lyman with 8 holes.
Hornady Lock-n-Load bushings. They allow for fast die swaps and keep adjustments. More importantly they allow you to reload 50bmg (so i have been told). Because you can load the shell then the die, allowing for the clearance needed.

Hornady Lock-n-Load bushings. They allow for fast die swaps and keep adjustments. More importantly they allow you to reload 50bmg (so i have been told). Because you can load the shell then the die, allowing for the clearance needed.
IMHO:
I'd rather have my changeable turret heads. I can have 2 pistol cals, 4 die sets mounted or 4 rifle cals, 2 die sets, mounted on a head and change the whole works at one time.
From what I've seen 50BMG will squeeze under any press. Wonder how many are reloading it??

IMHO:
I'd rather have my changeable turret heads. I can have 2 pistol cals, 4 die sets mounted or 4 rifle cals, 2 die sets, mounted on a head and change the whole works at one time.
From what I've seen 50BMG will squeeze under any press. Wonder how many are reloading it??
*for single stage presses like the Rock Chucker

Back