testtest

Best Bug-Out Bag Food? Southern Survival Trail Chili Review

Never heard of this brand nor have I've seen it in my area.

The days of Mountain House being the only available freeze-dried is over with many different brands available in different parts of the country, plus some Canadian brands available south of the border now.

If you're looking for good freeze-dried to use for backpacking and hunting season, or for prepping/a bug-out bag folks need to look at the ingredients.

High sodium is not great & a sign of cheaper brands, and those meals with higher protein levels are a sign of higher quality components.

Another thing is folks need to test/select meal types that are compatible with you GI (gastro-intestinal) system, and any medical conditions. Some might give you the farts & gas, and that might not be great for your companions, nor is it good to have during hunting season.

Also, almost everyone is labeling their pouches as 2-servings when in reality they're a one-person meal when it comes to calories provided. So, such labeling is a bit of a Jedi-Mind Trick.

Labeling something as "The Best" is typically a personal preference/opinion.

Right now, I prefer Peak Refuel freeze-dried, and will be testing some local regional brands next year since variety is the spice of life.

My .02

Screenshot_20221010-201820_Samsung Internet.jpg

While many that think about the days they may see in the future with eruptions and shifting shelf's and what to have during those times its nice to have those items that can make a difference and those who would take what you have. One has to remember is reactions are different with people in a survival mode and a friend or neighbor may not be as friendly as one would like and package food may not last as long as you think it should and concealment can be given away by noise. One thing a person might think to have in those days you have planned for a pellet gun rifle that you can pump up because CO2 won't be available just like canister of propane. .177 will take rabbits and grouse plus ducks and the old fashioned fire hole which has a channel to feed oxygen to fire while your small pan covers fire. How ever you may be starting a fire having plastic pill bottles with cotton balls smeared with vaseline is quick and easy and yes I stayed in the mountains for a long period of time so I just try to put a few ideas out as maybe something you may not have thought of because tomorrow is never given you just have to deal with it.

Not really a bug out bag, but my daughter bought me this for my birthday yesterday.

It's pretty nice. Can hold 2 carbines and a 10.5" pistol without breaking them down, tons of mags and other stuff. All Molle. The front bag ( that will hold the 10.5" pistol) is held on with a couple Molle straps and can be quickly taken off as a stand alone bag. And for $40 it's pretty hard to beat.

Not really a bug out bag, but my daughter bought me this for my birthday yesterday.

It's pretty nice. Can hold 2 carbines and a 10.5" pistol without breaking them down, tons of mags and other stuff. All Molle. The front bag ( that will hold the 10.5" pistol) is held on with a couple Molle straps and can be quickly taken off as a stand alone bag. And for $40 it's pretty hard to beat.

I like the looks of that but will need to measure to see if my M1A standard would fit, the bag that came with the gun is ok but not padded enough for the scope installed and doesn’t have the smaller bag for handguns.

Great BD present and hope you had a good BD.

I like the looks of that but will need to measure to see if my M1A standard would fit, the bag that came with the gun is ok but not padded enough for the scope installed and doesn’t have the smaller bag for handguns.

Great BD present and hope you had a good BD.

Usable inside space is about 40". It's plenty wide. And there are corner insets to hold the barrel and the butt stock as well as a strap to hold the gun tight. There's also a divider between the two sides to separate the rifles.

The only thing I have against Freeze Dried Meals is the high cost per meal. My bugout emergency rations consist of a lot of dried pasta noodles, instant rice, oatmeal, breakfast cereal, beans, and Ramen beef, shrimp, and chicken noodles. I also keep some canned meat and fish. It's a heck of a lot cheaper and just as effective. I also keep a wad of cash on hand.

I've got a couple of those cases and my only complaint is the weight. They seem way heavier then they should be especially next to similar cases. Maybe the added weight is a testament to a better build quality.

I've got a couple of those cases and my only complaint is the weight. They seem way heavier then they should be especially next to similar cases. Maybe the added weight is a testament to a better build quality.
I suppose I don't have any experience with these kind of cases so I have nothing to compare it to. It doesn't seem excessively heavy to me though. As far as build quality, I have looked it over real good and I literally just walked in the door a few minutes ago from being up at my new favorite LGS and they have similar bags. One very similar. Build quality is comparable, it had less pockets than mine, was sightly smaller and cost $50 more than mine.

Very nice indeed.

Tactile bacon;
maxresdefault.jpg

I've been told, meaning it might be wrong, that bacon was perhaps the fastest energy food there is.... ...in the sense you can digest it and make the energy available to your body faster than most other foods...

Tactile bacon;
maxresdefault.jpg

I've been told, meaning it might be wrong, that bacon was perhaps the fastest energy food there is.... ...in the sense you can digest it and make the energy available to your body faster than most other foods...

It's important to include "comfort food" in your bug-out bag or your survival supplies. Bacon certainly qualifies as "comfort food" for many people. I keep a substantial supple of M&Ms and honey roasted pecans that I rotate out every 6 months.

I’ve been prepared for SHTF since 1990. That’s when Iben Browning predicted a major earthquake on the New Madrid Fault in Southeast MO. His prediction threw many into “stock up on supplies” mode. Back then people had more sense because they stocked up on batteries instead of toilet paper.

The last major earthquake on the New Madrid Fault was in 1811-1812 and was so massive it caused the Mississippi River to form Reelfoot Lake in the Northwest portion of Tennessee. Some scientists think there is a 25% - 40% chance of a magnitude 6.0 earthquake or greater in the next 50 years. Chances are I won’t be around to feel it, but I am prepared.

Here's an image of Reelfoot Lake and the Mississippi.

Screenshot 2022-12-17 085134.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-17 085134.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-12-17 085134.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 98
The only thing I have against Freeze Dried Meals is the high cost per meal. My bugout emergency rations consist of a lot of dried pasta noodles, instant rice, oatmeal, breakfast cereal, beans, and Ramen beef, shrimp, and chicken noodles. I also keep some canned meat and fish. It's a heck of a lot cheaper and just as effective. I also keep a wad of cash on hand.
There's always trade-offs.

It also depends on how much weight & bulk to haul if you have to travel.

When you add up the various items needed for a meal then the price difference narrows.

Back