testtest

Best Carry Spots For Daily Tasks

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
People ask about the best way to carry in certain situations. It can be hard to know exactly what the best route is for various situations, so the author decided to make a list of the most common questions to go over. Let’s take a look at the best carry spots for daily tasks.

1695668806030.png

More of the “don’t carry with a manual safety” nonsense in that article.

For decades people carried the 1911, the Hi Power, and various other handguns with a manual safety. Rifles all have a manual safety. Then Glock came along and proclaimed that no one needs a frame mounted safety. And the adherents of the striker fired cult from Austria proclaimed that not only is a manual safety unnecessary, but it’s downright dangerous. It will get you KILLED!!!!

As someone who always carries with a manual safety (unless I’m carrying a DA/SA hammer fired handgun), and who trains to draw, swipe off the safety, and then reapply the safety before holstering, it’s just so damn stupid.

Sure, if you never train and don’t practice, then you could forget to swipe off the safety. But without a safety, the statistical chance of having an ND from something pulling the trigger is waaaaaay higher than the chance of you drawing on an actual threat and getting killed because you didn’t swipe off the safety.

In fact, are there any…even a single case…where someone carrying concealed was killed and they found his/her weapon in their hand with the safety still on? This just seems like one of these old wives tales that Glock fanboys tell themselves to feel better about their choices.

It’s just silly.

For decades people carried the 1911, the Hi Power, and various other handguns with a manual safety. Rifles all have a manual safety. Then Glock came along and proclaimed that no one needs a frame mounted safety. And the adherents of the striker fired cult from Austria proclaimed that not only is a manual safety unnecessary, but it’s downright dangerous. It will get you KILLED!!!!

As someone who always carries with a manual safety (unless I’m carrying a DA/SA hammer fired handgun), and who trains to draw, swipe off the safety, and then reapply the safety before holstering, it’s just so damn stupid.

Sure, if you never train and don’t practice, then you could forget to swipe off the safety. But without a safety, the statistical chance of having an ND from something pulling the trigger is waaaaaay higher than the chance of you drawing on an actual threat and getting killed because you didn’t swipe off the safety.

In fact, are there any…even a single case…where someone carrying concealed was killed and they found his/her weapon in their hand with the safety still on? This just seems like one of these old wives tales that Glock fanboys tell themselves to feel better about their choices.

It’s just silly.
I’m with you. I Know the “trigger safety” (is that an oxymoron?) pistols are “safe” when in a rigid holster. My concern is the whole “holstering“ thing. Looks like a great way to have an ND. With a hammer gun you have the safety AND can control the hammer with your thumb. With a 1911 you also have the grip safety. With one of the flipper guns you have the trigger-period. It catches on a bit of cover garment as you’re reholstering and….. Frankly I’d carry a 1911 with the safety OFF before I’d carry a cocked and unlocked striker gun (with old slab sides you still have the grip safety and your thumb holding the hammer. Y MMV

Carry position should be primarily dependent on the environment you are in, or going to be in, at the time.

I live in a rural, low crime area so my primary carry is pocket carry.

I won't carry, or own, a striker fired handgun unless it has a manual safety of some sort.

I’m with you. I Know the “trigger safety” (is that an oxymoron?) pistols are “safe” when in a rigid holster. My concern is the whole “holstering“ thing. Looks like a great way to have an ND. With a hammer gun you have the safety AND can control the hammer with your thumb. With a 1911 you also have the grip safety. With one of the flipper guns you have the trigger-period. It catches on a bit of cover garment as you’re reholstering and….. Frankly I’d carry a 1911 with the safety OFF before I’d carry a cocked and unlocked striker gun (with old slab sides you still have the grip safety and your thumb holding the hammer. Y MMV
Allowing your trigger to snag something or become inadvertently pressed is in ANY circumstance a negligent discharge. Making sure that never happens really isn't rocket science. You just have to have a good holster and follow the 4 laws. And look your gun back into the holster.

Allowing your trigger to snag something or become inadvertently pressed is in ANY circumstance a negligent discharge. Making sure that never happens really isn't rocket science. You just have to have a good holster and follow the 4 laws. And look your gun back into the holster.
Fully agree. its common sense-problem is common sense isn’t common.😊

It’s just silly.
All I'm going to say is this, I have been standing on a static range plinking at tin cans, with absolutely no stress and forgot to take the safety off my 1911.

The last time I had to point a gun at somebody at work (M&P40) I was extremely conscious of where my finger was and that it was along the side of the frame and nowhere near the trigger.

All the times I've ever had to draw my gun at work (which I'm not going to lie wasn't a huge number)I've never forgot to keep my finger off the trigger.

If you want to carry a 1911 or a BHP, please do so but I'm going to continue to carry my Glock

All I'm going to say is this, I have been standing on a static range plinking at tin cans, with absolutely no stress and forgot to take the safety off my 1911.

The last time I had to point a gun at somebody at work (M&P40) I was extremely conscious of where my finger was and that it was along the side of the frame and nowhere near the trigger.

All the times I've ever had to draw my gun at work (which I'm not going to lie wasn't a huge number)I've never forgot to keep my finger off the trigger.

If you want to carry a 1911 or a BHP, please do so but I'm going to continue to carry my Glock
I think one area where folks get in trouble is switching platforms. If you go from an ms to a non ms piece I’d thing you could easily have a problem. If all you carry is an ms piece AND you train using it, swiping the safety off becomes automatic.

I think one area where folks get in trouble is switching platforms. If you go from an ms to a non ms piece I’d thing you could easily have a problem. If all you carry is an ms piece AND you train using it, swiping the safety off becomes automatic.
I switch between 1911's and Polymer foe my carry with the plastic being carried the most. I only have 1 Polymer with a manual safety (S&W Compact) but so far has not presented a problem. The safety is slightly similar to a 1911 safety but smaller. I shoot 1911's more at the range than my others and have learned to draw with my thumb on the safety with a downward push to fire. I find this same thumb action happens with my plastic guns as well. Not saying I couldn't get confused but so far not an issue. This was a point I focused on early as I was acquiring both 1911's and smaller plastic guns to carry.

That is why I like my Springfield MOD-2 with the grip safety for EDC and nightstand.
I rarely switch platforms.
I have a compact and a tactical and their controls are identical, so if something goes bump in the night I don't have to think about which firearm I have with me.
Carrying a S&W model 36 is a no-brainer point and shoot.

My work carry is all plastic. Normally it's a pair of 43x's. Right hip (OWB) and left ankle. Either location works for me. Doing ninja work 😉, I drop to just the MOS only, riding in a Kydex IWB at 4:00. I don't worry about external manual safeties. Or lack thereof. I have full range of motion.

Outside of some serious backwoods shenanigans, like backpacking into remote areas for fishing 🎣, off duty is DA/SA time. CZ and (soon) Springfield. Does the addition of safeties mean anything? Not to me. These ride either IWB or OWB at 4:00. OWB is in a high pancake. There is not a hassle or restriction of movement.

I switch between 1911's and Polymer foe my carry with the plastic being carried the most. I only have 1 Polymer with a manual safety (S&W Compact) but so far has not presented a problem. The safety is slightly similar to a 1911 safety but smaller. I shoot 1911's more at the range than my others and have learned to draw with my thumb on the safety with a downward push to fire. I find this same thumb action happens with my plastic guns as well. Not saying I couldn't get confused but so far not an issue. This was a point I focused on early as I was acquiring both 1911's and smaller plastic guns to carry.
I think an awful lot of this comes down to training/practice. I know folks who”carry” but probably aren’t burning 100rd/yr. IMHO they are not truly where they should be. Someone like will have problems with their firearm under a stressful situation in a “best case” scenario, much more so if they play switch between firearms with different operating systems.

Back