testtest

Best Hellcat Ammo?

I have been recommending Critical Defense in my classes for the past several years. It seems to function well in the micro pistols we have tried it in, like the SIG 938, P290, and P365. I was just reading about SIG 365 V Crown ammo. I don't know all the particulars, but SIG developed the round specifically for micro pistols like their P365. I have not yet been able to get my hands on any of it to try.

Last edited:
They test them through denim, sheet metal and ribs before they get through the gel, no problem, even a car door. Good enough for me. Sometimes hollow points don't open up, no worry about that with Underwood.
You may want to acquaint yourself with how ballistics gel works, and exactly what-and what it isn't--designed to measure.

I'll stick with what the pros use--JHP's.

I have been recommending Critical Defense in my classes for the past several years. It seems to function well in the micro pistols we have tried it in, like the SIG 938, P290, and P365. I was just reading about SIG 365 V Crown ammo. I don't know all the particulars, but SIG developed the round specifically for micro pistols like their P365. I have not yet been able to get my hands on any of it to try.
I like Federal's "Micro HST" loads better...also designed forgery short barrels, but runs a heavy bullet that expands very reliably.

+P ammo should never be used in a small pistol, all it’s going to do is give you heavier recoil and increase wear on the gun over time.
I know this is an old post, but was curious what you use in your EDC.

I agree with you, and with optics on my Hellcat and P365 that I felt are more sensitive to recoil, I use standard pressure 124gr HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Sig V-Crown.

The conventional wisdom is a short barrel needs the added velocity you get with +P, so most people seem to use those rounds.

I agree with you, and with optics on my Hellcat and P365 that I felt are more sensitive to recoil, I use standard pressure 124gr HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Sig V-Crown.

The conventional wisdom is a short barrel needs the added velocity you get with +P, so most people seem to use those rounds.

“Conventional Wisdom” is often wrong.

There’s a Lucky Gunner site I’ve linked to a couple times earlier in this thread; see how well non +P rounds expand out of short barrels—particularly heavyweight bullets.

FWIW, my main carry 9mm now—a Wilson X9—runs 147gr HST.

“Conventional Wisdom” is often wrong.

There’s a Lucky Gunner site I’ve linked to a couple times earlier in this thread; see how well non +P rounds expand out of short barrels—particularly heavyweight bullets.

FWIW, my main carry 9mm now—a Wilson X9—runs 147gr HST.
Interesting stuff. They used an M&P9C which I think has a 3.6” barrel, so not totally analogous to the Hellcat, but is to my P365XL.

I’ve always used standard pressure rounds, but also never had to fire at anyone in self defense.

On what's the best Hellcat ammo? American Rifleman put out a very good indepth article and review in September, 2019 on the results they found using 3 different cartridges in the Hellcat at 7 and 25 yards.

Right now I use Sig V-Crown 115gr

Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX seem to work good too.
Muzzle/1135 -50 yds/1025fps - 100yds/949fps

9mm 115 Grain FTX Hornady Critical Defense - 20 Rounds

+P ammo should never be used in a small pistol, all it’s going to do is give you heavier recoil and increase wear on the gun over time.
Not true at all! I would only carry +p out of a micro 9mm. With such a short barrel you need the extra volecty for the bullet to full expansion. Even in my hellcat pro with a 3.7 inch barrel I choose to use Federal hst 124+p! Or Speer gold dot 124+p if I can't find hst

Not true at all! I would only carry +p out of a micro 9mm. With such a short barrel you need the extra volecty for the bullet to full expansion. Even in my hellcat pro with a 3.7 inch barrel I choose to use Federal hst 124+p! Or Speer gold dot 124+p if I can't find hst
Ah, hate to disagree, but you don’t really get that much more velocity using +p in a small micro pistol, it does increase wear and tear, read the owners manual, it states this, anyway, it’s your gun and if you feel better using it, go ahead, to me, shot placement is more important then speed and how many rounds you carry

Ah, hate to disagree, but you don’t really get that much more velocity using +p in a small micro pistol, it does increase wear and tear, read the owners manual, it states this, anyway, it’s your gun and if you feel better using it, go ahead, to me, shot placement is more important then speed and how many rounds you carry
Just my preference and experience I don't mean any disrespect. And I'm not saying you should constantly shoot it . just saying my personal preference for carry. Though I totally agree shot placement is key. If you can't hit what you're aming for you might as well start running.. Lol.. Stay blessed

Just my preference and experience I don't mean any disrespect. And I'm not saying you should constantly shoot it . just saying my personal preference for carry. Though I totally agree shot placement is key. If you can't hit what you're aming for you might as well start running.. Lol.. Stay blessed
No disrespect taken here, I understand what you were saying, no disrespect was aimed at you either, this is what a forum is meant to do, get different opinions and experiences.

You lose more velocity with +P rounds.

Fact is, heavyweight, standard velocity bullets do better as far as expansion and penetration are concerned than the +P’s out of short barrels. +P lose too much % velocity to get optimum performance.

My short 9’s have 147gr Ranger-T or HST.

Fact is, heavyweight, standard velocity bullets do better as far as expansion and penetration are concerned than the +P’s out of short barrels. +P lose too much % velocity to get optimum performance.

Sig 365 ammo was developed specifically for those stubby pistols.

+P sounds good but you will not get improved performance with it.

Sig 365 ammo was developed specifically for those stubby pistols.

+P sounds good but you will not get improved performance with it.
So is Federal’s 150gr Micro HST…and it’s not a +P round, either.

If I didn’t have solid stocks of HST & Ranger-T 147’s, I’d probably look closer at it…

So is Federal’s 150gr Micro HST…and it’s not a +P round, either.

If I didn’t have solid stocks of HST & Ranger-T 147’s, I’d probably look closer at it…

Back