testtest

Bipods 101: Everything You Need To Know

Thanks for the article mike I am glad I read it I was thinking about this I didn’t spend much on my bipod I knew that is why I wanted to take it off and put the rifle on sand bags. I wasn’t shooting it very accurate I knew it was the cheap bipod can’t wait to get back to the range and put it on the sand bags I think what I got is a piece of 💩

I've been wanting to mount a bi-pod on a 16" .223 Wylde I built specifically for medium range precision shooting. Mostly off a bench. I'm not trying to get a piece of junk, but I'm also not trying to spend too much money on it either.
I've got several AR's that I've attached bi-pods to. Since I've got several ARs, I wanted something priced reasonable and not too expensive. I found that UTG bipods have worked fine for what I want them to do.
On some of my higher end ARs (both 15 and 10), I've used both Harris and Atlas. Both my bolt action Christensen MPR and 338 Lapua Ruger Precision Rifles, have mid to high end Atlas Bi-pods.

I put a Caldwell on my M1A and although the legs are not notched for positive engagement the compression nuts on the legs hold extremely well, fortunately they are a perfect length so I don’t need to extend the legs at all when shooting from a bench. As far as price I consider them a mid range bipod.
Edit
As far as the legs I believe they are built well and offer just enough forgiveness to soften some of the recoil although the gun itself is brutal and I’m researching a different muzzle break in hopes to soften to the kick of that mighty .308

Last edited:
UTG has been a good 1 for a under $100 and Caldwell has been reasonable. Magpul are a fair price for what they are. I've spent from $46 to $379 for a bipod and got lucky on some sales. UTG have been very sturdy and haven't failed in use. @Bassbob try KentuckyGun?????? is where I've found some good deals. Primary Arms has had some good sales and good price when not on sale. With the 4th of July sale going on you should find a price point of your choosing.

UTG has been a good 1 for a under $100 and Caldwell has been reasonable. Magpul are a fair price for what they are. I've spent from $46 to $379 for a bipod and got lucky on some sales. UTG have been very sturdy and haven't failed in use. @Bassbob try KentuckyGun?????? is where I've found some good deals. Primary Arms has had some good sales and good price when not on sale. With the 4th of July sale going on you should find a price point of your choosing.
I will check it out. Thanks.

They have the best price I have found on the Magpul and they have a handful of Tru Glo bi-pods under $0 or so. I got sidetracked pretty quickly though by all the Henrys, Ruger revolvers and shotguns. :)

Under $0 ??? Ha ha Should have been under $40.

Last edited:
I have lots of bipods, but don't use them very much. I'm usually shooting out of a vehicle or heavy equipment. Range day is about the only day?

I have lots of bipods, but don't use them very much. I'm usually shooting out of a vehicle or heavy equipment. Range day is about the only day?
I've been doing alright with using one of my ruck packs or a thick moving blanket. This rifle though is pretty minimalist. There's nothing on it except a Bushnell Elite 6500. No sling, no back up sights, nothing. Half the time I load the chamber by hand like a regular bolt rifle. I guarantee you this rifle isn't as accurate as all that that I should treat it that way, but it is only in my safe for one reason. It serves one purpose and that's a somewhat in vain attempt to make the rifle worthy of the scope that's sitting on it. So far I have just been shooting green tips out of it, but it being a .223 Wylde I want to try it with some heavier .223 loads. Not sure which ones. It's 1:8 twist and 16" barrel. Those match grade shells aren't cheap either. I would say I am hitting 2- 2.5" groups at 200 yards with the M855 and that's more a reflection on my lack of skill than the rifle I think.

Anyway, I thought a bi-pod might be handy and make the rifle not look so plain.

264wm and thermal scope.

Harris bipod,.....I don't like this one as much as the others.

Attachments

• 20220704_193209.jpg
    20220704_193209.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 138
Black 1 is 300wm with Magpul bipod. Light weight good function for the money.

The skull design is 300wm with ? bipod. Light weight and upper 100 dollar price range.

Attachments

• 20220704_193151.jpg
    20220704_193151.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
  • 20220704_193146.jpg
    20220704_193146.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
20220704_192721.jpg

1st 1 is a CF (rugged ridge outdoor gear) and weighs just under 1# (my most expensive bipod).
Next is UTG, heavy, strong and lots of adjustments (cant, swivel, height and pan) and good priced for what it is.
VLTOR was a bit pricey, but great for pic rail r/i.
The middle 3 are utg also and have mloc or keymod attachment (also under $100 at the time of purchase).
Caldwell and NCstar have their use, butNCstar have been the least favorite.

Last edited:
Back