testtest

Black Rifles

Bassbob

Emissary
Okay, I am new to the scary, black rifle game. I have avoided AR type weapons so far because frankly I'm just not that interested in them. I'm old school and I like my pistols and really I am a shotgunner more than anything. Nevertheless, I have some expendable cash coming up and I have been thinking about expanding my options. I don't know anything about building ARs or what parts to buy to go with other parts or any of that. At some point I feel like I may enjoy putting some together but to start I think I want one that is already done and really just works right out of the box.

That said, I like the idea of a pistol with a brace. Like the Saint Victor or even something like the PC charger. The main thing that keeps me from wanting a PC Charger is the 9mm thing. I'd kind of rather have a 5.56 or .300 BLK.

I guess I should at least try to find some rational justification for this weapon so I think I would want it to be primarily used as a HD weapon. Easy to maneuver, light, high capacity and devastatingly brutal. Let's skip all the comments about over penetration or which weapon is best for HD. They aren't necessary. I have about every other incarnation of HD weapon you can think of and over penetration or kids in the next room or any of that other stuff doesn't apply to me.

I'm not hard set on a pistol, just leaning that way. And again I am a complete newb when it comes to these types of rifles/pistols. So what would you suggest as a cherry buster for me?

If building your own I personally like Aero Precision. The M4E1 lower and upper make a really nice combo. If you're into a hunting AR pistol, Ruger has the .350 legend as a current offering in the $700 to $800 range which has been touted by some as a semi auto version of the 30-30 round.

Last edited:
Okay, I am new to the scary, black rifle game. I have avoided AR type weapons so far because frankly I'm just not that interested in them. I'm old school and I like my pistols and really I am a shotgunner more than anything. Nevertheless, I have some expendable cash coming up and I have been thinking about expanding my options. I don't know anything about building ARs or what parts to buy to go with other parts or any of that. At some point I feel like I may enjoy putting some together but to start I think I want one that is already done and really just works right out of the box.

That said, I like the idea of a pistol with a brace. Like the Saint Victor or even something like the PC charger. The main thing that keeps me from wanting a PC Charger is the 9mm thing. I'd kind of rather have a 5.56 or .300 BLK.

I guess I should at least try to find some rational justification for this weapon so I think I would want it to be primarily used as a HD weapon. Easy to maneuver, light, high capacity and devastatingly brutal. Let's skip all the comments about over penetration or which weapon is best for HD. They aren't necessary. I have about every other incarnation of HD weapon you can think of and over penetration or kids in the next room or any of that other stuff doesn't apply to me.

I'm not hard set on a pistol, just leaning that way. And again I am a complete newb when it comes to these types of rifles/pistols. So what would you suggest as a cherry buster for me?
I'm the same. Just got into the AR's got my first right before Christmas. After looking around and reading about in magazine I bought a Saint Victor rifle. Love it. Now I'm looking for their PDW or one in a pistol caliber for HD. I want one for the smaller size.

I have 2 aero precision 300bo w/8.5" barrels. First thought was it was a joke of a cartridge, but my mind got changed! They don't have the 8.5" anymore or at least the last time I checked? Most of the ammo I used were the magtech 123fmj. It's good ammo and has never failed! I have been reloading from 110gr to 150gr so far. I'll be loading some 170gr to 240gr later on. I think the 300bo would be a good hd gun?

I have 2 aero precision 300bo w/8.5" barrels. First thought was it was a joke of a cartridge, but my mind got changed! They don't have the 8.5" anymore or at least the last time I checked? Most of the ammo I used were the magtech 123fmj. It's good ammo and has never failed! I have been reloading from 110gr to 150gr so far. I'll be loading some 170gr to 240gr later on. I think the 300bo would be a good hd gun?
Agreed, go with a pistol you can always add a longer barrel and go back. Cant do that with a rifle.
Take a look at the Robinson XCR line up.
* SIGs are nice too, just hope they dont decide to make the previous model obsolete. I like the two systems because of the ease of caliber conversion.

**and no buffer tube!

Last edited:
Love my 7.5" PSA 300BO..... really loud and great muzzle flash...… perfect intruder weapon.....
Crazy on the range too! Fired M-16 and never wanted black rifle.
Black pistol.... yeah baby! 5.56 upper and good to go. Just be wary of the 300/5.56
danger and you'll be safe.

Here is what you need to know. If you are looking for a HD firearm to add to your collection an AR15 is a great choice. If you decide to go the pistol/SBR route then I highly recommend 300BO. Anything with a barrel length of 14.5" and larger I would say go 5.56Nato.
Build or buy complete? This is up to you and how much money and customization you want to put into the firearm. I say this alot, you need to try a few out and see what you want. I prefer a single stage trigger but I don't need it to be super light with a short reset. GI triggers are ok for me. Ambidextrous controls?
MLOK or Picatinny for the rail. I would say you will mostly see picatinny rails on top with MLOK on the sides and bottom.
Optics... I am a bit of a snob about optics. If you need some magnification I would go with a Trijicon 4x32. as long as you use the binden aiming concept this will translate over to HD and ranged engagements. You could also mount a second optic angled with an RMR red dot if you really need to... Or just slap a EOTECH on top and be done.
Supressed? At least this part is easy. OSS. Don't run anything else.
Attachments are mainly personal preference. Surefire does good lights. Magpul does good with slings and stocks. But there is a lot of great stuff out there on the market.
There are less expensive options out there that do well you just need to look around. But if money isn't an issue don't just get something because it costs an arm and a leg. Ask.
Have fun and I hope this helps.

What's the 300/5.56 danger ?
A .300 blackout can chamber and fire through a 5.56 barrel which will cause the 5.56 barrel to explode because of the larger bullet diameter.

The two different rounds are easily identifiable but they do share the same mags. If you end up getting both calibers you can mark your mags with a stripe or use another method to easily distinguish them so you don't insert the wrong mag at the range.

Chambering .300BLK in a 5.56 is not common occurrence but it has happened to a few foolish people on YouTube so don't let this dissuade your future purchase.

Like any round both 5.56 & .300blk have their pros and cons depending on the intended use.

Last edited:
Wow. I'll definitely not make that mistake. Yikes.

So at this point I am leaning towards a pistol in .300 BLK. That's not to say I've made up my mind entirely because I am a well known hem hawer when it comes to making decisions about things like this. At any rate, assuming that is the one I am after I would probably want it to be a complete unit out of the box, preferably fairly high quality. Let's say the budget is around $1200. I'm perfectly willing to pay less. I don't need it to be "The best", I just need it to function completely reliably and not be "Lower end crap". After all, I still need to pick up a P30L and an SRM 1216 before the end of the year. :)

So at this point I am leaning towards a pistol in .300 BLK. That's not to say I've made up my mind entirely because I am a well known hem hawer when it comes to making decisions about things like this. At any rate, assuming that is the one I am after I would probably want it to be a complete unit out of the box, preferably fairly high quality. Let's say the budget is around $1200. I'm perfectly willing to pay less. I don't need it to be "The best", I just need it to function completely reliably and not be "Lower end crap". After all, I still need to pick up a P30L and an SRM 1216 before the end of the year. :)
You should have a decent amount of options for that price but AR platform guns are generally pretty reliable these days in almost any price range.

If I were you I would buy the pc charger and put the brace on it you will like it, 9mm or .40 caliber with hollow-point ammo will not travel through your home and into the neighbors home but 5.56 / 300 bo can unless you have some frangible ammo in 5.56 /.300 BO. If you fired a 5.56 mm 62 grain green tip it can pass thru the wall of your home and into the neighbors home and if it struck anyone inside that home you would be held liable for any death or injury this is why I recommend a 12 Gauge Shotgun with 00 Buck it will not go thru your home and into the neighbors home and you will hit what you point it at in close quarters nine.30 caliber lead balls flying center mass at 0 - 25' is a DRT shot. Dead right there. I have the Ruger PC 9 Carbine and its little brother the PC Charger is nice in fact I want one but they are very hard to find in stock.

I'd look at PSA. They have decent prices and are of decent quality.

You can buy a complete lower and upper, just push 2 pins and it's ready to go. Unfortunately, it seems all of their .300 pistol uppers are out of stock...

Then again, their complete pistols aren’t too bad, either...

Back