testtest

Bore Snakes: Do You Use Them

Bore Snakes: Do You Use Them

• Yes

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
I have never had an issue using a snake on my pistols. Using a snake on small caliber rifles 22, 223, etc can be very difficult and I could see one possibly getting stuck. I find them very convenient and easy to carry. I do spray the snake upstream of the first brush with cleaner prior to pulling thru 3-4 times

Probably the only way to get one stuck permanently would be using a nylon bore snake through a hot barrel. The nylon could possibly melt to the interior barrel surface making it impossible to pull through. I do all my cleaning at home after a range session so my guns are typically cool to touch when cleaning and I've never run into an issue.

Last edited:
Would like to hear there benefit over rods which I do use.
I've only used the one bore snake, what I didn't care for was feeding it through the barrel. In addition to that, you only get the one pass with the brush. For me, I like to start with a rod to get a good cleaning with brush going in and out a few times, then switch to a cable to finish the cleaning off.

I was wondering how many people use them and thoughts on level of effectiveness
I use a bore snake after each use of a firearm at the range. 2 or 3 pulls just to get out any residual powder and carbon. At home i do my usual cleaning.
On my 17 HMR rifle i use an Otis snake. The smaller calibers are alittle harder to clean with a snake but i still clean the rifle at the range.
Otis is a very sturdy snake and a bit tight to pull, an Otis brush can be screwed in at the end of the snake and an Otis "T" handle added to the front of the snake to assist in pulling the snake, these options may be helpful for some people. I also use an Otis snake on my 380 and 9mm.
Cleaning of any snake, warm soapy water in a bucket, let the snake sit for awhile, stir on occassion and then rinse.
This is my two cents on bore snakes.

For most of my cleaning I use a brush and rod. I do use bore snakes for my AR & AK. I also always use it for my Ruger MKIII since I don't have an engineering degree to take it apart. They are very useful especially for a quick clean. Just make sure you have the proper caliber.

I have used them for a quick cleaning only after shooting minimally. I have always used the old tried and true rod cleaning to do the deep cleaning after shooting hundreds/thousands of rounds down range. I can also say from my experiance that the more lead fouling you have the tighter/harder it us pull a bore snake through a barrel and have seen the pull rope broken as a result.

Bore snakes have their place, but do nothing that a rod and brush can't do with a little more time and attention.

I have never had an issue using a snake on my pistols. Using a snake on small caliber rifles 22, 223, etc can be very difficult and I could see one possibly getting stuck. I find them very convenient and easy to carry. I do spray the snake upstream of the first brush with cleaner prior to pulling thru 3-4 times
"...I do spray the snake upstream of the first brush with cleaner prior to pulling thru 3-4 times."

Ditto, using CLP. I also spray some on the tail end of the snake to coat/lube the barrel. I don't get over-exuberant with the number of rounds shot while at the range, so the snake seems to be doing well for the pistols and rifle.

I've only used the one bore snake, what I didn't care for was feeding it through the barrel. In addition to that, you only get the one pass with the brush. For me, I like to start with a rod to get a good cleaning with brush going in and out a few times, then switch to a cable to finish the cleaning off.
Brush and rod then a blast of cleaner swab with a rod and an oil cloth then a blast of oil.

I voted no, even though I have one for my 9mm. They work OK, but I have other options for cleaning.
View attachment 3043
Yup, the complete Otis cleaning kit. Got it myself, has everything you need (of course it looks like you got some extra lubes & sprays, a bore scope light, etc.,) Mine had a few lubes in it along with all the brushes, cleaning cables of different lengths, patches, portable field cleaning kit, etc., likeTactical-Reviews picture shows. Thumbs up Tactical (y)

For most of my cleaning I use a brush and rod. I do use bore snakes for my AR & AK. I also always use it for my Ruger MKIII since I don't have an engineering degree to take it apart. They are very useful especially for a quick clean. Just make sure you have the proper caliber.
Or you can save up and get a Ruger Mark IV, they’re a breeze to disassemble / reassemble. :). Fortunately, I never had the pleasure of disassembling a Ruger Mark I-III. I’ve hear of some owners that have sent them in to the NRA to reassemble, must be a bear to do & why Ruger came out with the Mark IV (I have two of them & they’re a pleasure to work on)

Back