Bore Snakes: Do You Use Them

Bore Snakes: Do You Use Them

• Yes

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
I was wondering how many people use them and thoughts on level of effectiveness
I use bore snakes pretty frequently. You can't argue the awesome job they do with a little bit of CLP and a few pulls through the barrel. Bore snakes are only a supplement to a complete gun cleaning and are made for a single purpose and you still need a more diverse cleaning kit to get a complete cleaning inside the frame, slide & barrel.

Last edited:
I have them in the common calibers and use them occasionally. I've been told, that after buying a new firearm, a bore snake is all you need to clean the firearm before firing it for the first time. I've never done this, as I like to strip the firearm down and to a complete cleaning as the manual instructs. It's a good thing I did this, for when I bought my Stoeger Semi Auto M3500 Shotgun, I stripped in down & it was packed with grease. It would have been eventful if I tried firing it after cleaning with just a bore snake and it was a good thing that I gave it a through cleaning before shooting Sporting Clays. I may use a bore snake at the range or even after a range session that I didn't fire a lot of rounds.

I definitely see the benefits of the bore snake but personally I’ve not used one. I like to be able to scrub the barrel and I feel that’s only something I can do with a rod
Speaking of barrel scrubbing I shot 30 plus slugs though my 12 gauge at the range one day and the lead fouling took some deep scrubbing with a brass brush attached to a power drill just to get the gun clean. I buy the Federal 15 pack of slugs at Walmart for $10.99 which is a good deal for slugs.

I do use them but let me explain that I only use them on shotguns because of some bad experiences. I have gotten two of them stuck in two different rifles. Had a bear of a time getting them out.

My son in Alaska works part-time in a buddy's gun shop. He advised usually when someone brings a gun in with a bore snake stuck in the barrel they recommend rebarreling.

The concept of bore snakes in not really that new as they were first used by the military in World War I.

I voted no, even though I have one for my 9mm. They work OK, but I have other options for cleaning.
49384886_1176766205814916_4440126139653947392_n.jpg

Back